LaunchBox Community Forums

Resolved - scraper cannot find the game in db using Alternate name - Informational

bisley

Hi,

It happened to me that the scraper cannot find games by their Alternative name. The only way to find them and fetch the metadata is using the primary name even when the Alternate name is already in the database.

Examples:

http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/1268
primary name: River City Ransom
alternate name: Street Gangs

http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/17721
primary name: Atomic Punk
alternate name: Dynablaster

Another issue is trying to fetch The Goonies for NES but the scraper only find The Goonies II , the game is in the database http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/17721 . I tried to delete Metadata.xml to download a fresh one but still cannot find the game.

Thanks.

Edited by bisley
  • Like 1

wow, what a fast response. Thanks SentaiBrad! I hope that he could work on that soon :) . I found out that the games were already in the database when I was to add them but luckily I found them before creating some duplicates.

Another thing that happened to me is the double database for NES (one for NES and another for Famicom). For games only released in Japan, I need to fetch them manually because I'm usng "Nintendo Entertainment System" as platform.
Shouldn't be both merged or at least used automatically the Famicom during the search if there is no match in NES?

Funny you should say that, all those duplicate consoles are going to be merged too! Long list of stuff like alternate names, duplicate consoles, all needing to be adressed and it should be soon, hopefully. These conversations have been happening on the forums a lot for a while actually. xD

• Like 1

No no, it's ok! Our search may not be the best, and I'm not even certain there was ever a direct post about a lot of things sometimes, it's sort of like this, where it's really a few posts down. No worries, I understand how it can get confusing or you just don't see it, there are A LOT of posts here now.

Question about when they do merge... more a concern... super Famicom box art, for instance is different from snes box art. If you merge the lists... does that mean well have to have all that box art jumbled together... or am I misunderstanding that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

As long as you're on the LaunchBox Beta, LB should read the alternate names now. The changes you made will still first need to be approved, then they go live on the Database at around Midnight PST on the day they were approved. Your metadata file needs updating as well for any new additions made to the database. Once the changes are made on the Database, the update then gets pushed to everyone. When you edit a game and click "Search", if a Metadata update is available, it will tell you and you'll nee to press yes to update it.

It'll be available in the official release when that comes around, but yea it's currently beta only. You shouldn't run in to any issues, but if you're worried creating a backup of your LB install, just to be safe, isn't a bad idea. You really only need to back up the data and not the media, but you never know.

When I edit a game and search for Metadata LB find the US name successfully. So I tried to delete this system and import all the games another time to check if all my games are scrapped correctly, but no O.o. No picture and no metadata. Maybe I don't understand well how it's supposed to work. I was thinking that adding the french name to the database, LB would import US metadata and pictures without any change to the game's title. For example, for gamecube, the game From Russia with Love is named 007: Bon baiser de russie in French. Right now, if I want to get the 3d box picture, I need to edit an search for metadata and LB will retrieve the US picture but change the title.

@SentaiBrad, if LB was changing it to the facing names automatically it could be OK for now, but LB is not doing that. It let the french title and don't download any metadata or picture. I think something's wrong.

Hi guys,

Yeah, it's supposed to change it to the facing name as of right now, as I don't think the logic to keep the current alternate name listed for specific items is there yet.

I'll look into it a bit later, but I'm pretty sure it's simply a bit problematic due to the fact that it's not completely implemented yet, which is why it's still in the Beta build :).

Will advise a bit later!

• Vlansix changed the title to Resolved - scraper cannot find the game in db using Alternate name - Informational