LaunchBox Community Forums

Hardware for your Retrogaming and #Launchbox

dov_EL

On 12/6/2017 at 4:05 PM, Gachmuret said:

Hi there,

@dovella @lufeig 

I also plan to buy a notebook with Intel N4200 and 4 gig of RAM... would that be enough to play Wii reasonly fluent on Ishiruka fork?

Thx for your advice and help!

I use an Intel Core Quad 6600 @ 2.4ghz (which I overclock to 3ghz in Winter and back to 2.4ghz in the summer) / Asus P5W-DH Mainboard / 4GB RAM / GeForce GTX 750ti / Windows 7 64-bit / Dolphin 5.0 and it runs 95% of GameCube games at 60fps with 1280x720 res, DX11 and all that jazz. Mario Kart Double Dash at full speed and the FANTASTISSHHH F-Zero GX at full speed. Well, it takes about 10 or 20 seconds after booting the game to settle down to 60fps, probably filling up caches and sheiiit. That game is heavy but my 10 year old setup runs nearly all GC games perfectly. Crash Nitro Kart and Burnout 2 run at full speed.

Wii games however are a bit of mixed bag. I can run New Super Mario Bros at 60fps with occasional drops down to 40-45fps. The lighter games run ok. The shovelware shit like Luxor run ok, but the complex 3D stuff gives me a bit of grief.....and though I have them in my LaunchBox setup, I don't really bother to play them.

So because I'm a bit of an expert at squeezing as much as I can out of SHODDY old hardware ;-), I have a feeling that the Intel N4200 is going to get sand kicked in it's face by Wii games. Infact, I don't think you should even attempt to run Wii games at all on a Notebook. I read this from more brainier guys (than I) over at the Dolphin forums. These GC and Wii are done gonna heat that CPU really hot and you might end up blowing the whole notebook, iishiruga fork or not.

I have no hard facts though. Just a gut feeling. You may wanna ask the guys at the Dolphin forums as they know their stuff. I had a read of this article on your behalf too - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/10/voyo-mini-pc-review/

Edited by JamesBond@ge

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small recommendation... If you don't mind refurbished and the way business class machines look... I have gotten several SFF computers from dell refurbished with a coupon...Averaging about $100-$120 for a few generations old I3 with 4gb ram and 250gb hdd... I have been getting these lately instead of mini computers because you get alot more cpu power for about the same price... you might have to add a wireless card or something... but those are cheap... Anyway.. just my suggestion..