LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Saturn setup in Retroarch

neil9000

Hi, i am trying to setup Saturn for the first time, i have a full tosec set and am trying to use beetle saturn in retroarch. However i have a problem everything imported into launchbox just fine but nothing will launch. When i try to launch any game i get Visual C++runtime error from Retroarch, this is the same Retroarch that a lot of my other systems use so i know it works, but to double check i downloaded a fresh Retroarch same issue. I also get the same error when trying to launch a game directly from retroarch as well, i have the bios files so that shouldnt be the issue either. Anyone have any idea whats going on here? Im attaching some screenshots to help demonstrate the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot (97).png

Screenshot (100).png

Screenshot (101).png

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

If it isn't your bios files I would think maybe you need some Visual Studio libraries

I use retroarch for 95% of my systems though and they all work fine, why would saturn be any different. If i just reinstall launchbox over the top of my current setup that should install the visual studio stuff right?

Just now, DOS76 said:

If it was a bad disc it would load the bios though and just say there was no disc in system and I know for a fact you have good bios files

Yeah i have tried several different games, same error every time, guess ill have to track down vc stuff. I updated my geforce driver yesterday i wonder if that messed with something, as far as im concerned all my vc is up to date though.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah I guess if could be something else but based off the error message I don't know what else to suggest.

Yeah thats why im so confused, been using retroarch for quite a while now with no issues, it just does not seem to like me trying to load saturn .cue files, very strange.

Yeah thats what i thought they should be, so was surprised when i went in and looked and saw there was also a .iso in there. This was a tosec pack i got from the dome of pleasure so assumed it would be correct, dont really want to have to download again as it was about 180gb. Is yaubuse really that bad, cause the .iso will load through that?

Just now, DOS76 said:

Yet
Another
Broken
Ass
Unusable
Saturn
Emulator

Yeah I personally find Yabause to be terrible but if it works for you then go for it just know it doesn't have anywhere near the game compatibility that the Mednafen core does.

Yeah i just tried sega rally, and that was in slow motion so not usable at all. Looks like im going to have to download a different set then. What a waste of time that was then, F**K. Cheers for your help though, much appreciated. 

1 minute ago, SentaiBrad said:

I've seen that error randomly pop up from time to time. Did you just recently update? Go to a new nightly or back a few nightlies and try that. Assuming your BIOS and game are not bad rips, and that you have all those dependencies that is.

Cheers brad, it appears it may be my romset, they are not .bin, .cue. Wasted download :( 

2 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, RetroArch gets REALLY particular, and there are errors that make zero sense to us.

Yeah i have never seen that error with retroarch before, thats why i am so confused its not a helpfull error message at all either, oh well think im going to delete that folder i just spent about 15 hours downloading and start again. Ho hum.