LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Saturn setup in Retroarch

neil9000

Just wanted to pop in and say i ended up grabbing a darkwater set which work perfectly with mednafen/beetle in retroarch. So thanks for the help guys,i just grabbed the wrong set originally. Now i have got some serious sega rallying to be getting on with!! Thanks again. :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
14 minutes ago, Vampireslug said:

I'm getting the same runtime error with every game I try using the Beetle core...

For me the issue was the games, they were all in the wrong format, I downloaded a different pack and that fixed it. Your games should be .cue and .bin and you import the .cues into launchbox, and if loading directly from Retroarch again you load the .cue not the .bin.

21 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

For me the issue was the games, they were all in the wrong format, I downloaded a different pack and that fixed it. Your games should be .cue and .bin and you import the .cues into launchbox, and if loading directly from Retroarch again you load the .cue not the .bin.

All of my games are in .iso /.wav / .cue... I'm re-downloading the .bin/.cue versions.  Fingers crossed.

Just now, Vampireslug said:

All of my games are in .iso /.wav / .cue... I'm re-downloading the .bin/.cue versions.  Fingers crossed.

Yeah if you look on the first page of this thread I posted a image of mine and they were the same as that, iso/wav/cue and those didn't work, so that sounds like your issue. Once I downloaded a set with cue/bin everything worked just fine.

So, I'm making progress... of a sort.  I now have my games in .bin & .cue format and if I start the Beetle core in Retroarch and choose the .cue file I can boot to the Saturn main screen but no further.  When the core first loads the .cue I get a yellow message "Uncorrectable data at sector 0", no matter what game I load, then the Saturn menu opens and I get the screen shown below but when I click "play", nothing happens.  Launchbox won't even load the core but at least I've gotten this far in Retroarch.5afaa3236b294_SegaSaturn2.thumb.png.d4a4aeb609003cc9e10a3a2d94f2cd25.png

I found my problem, my cue sheets referenced .iso instead of .bin - once I edited those sheets in Notepad++ I was able to successfully run "Blazing Dragons", "Dragonforce", and "Shining Force III".  Unfortunately these all only run in Retroarch directly, Launchbox doesn't seem to want to play nice.

well of course there is that to if the cue's don't reference the right file that will definitely cause issues. Glad you figured it out. Have you edited LB to use the Mednafen Core its is preconfigured to use the Yabause core

13 minutes ago, Vampireslug said:

I found my problem, my cue sheets referenced .iso instead of .bin - once I edited those sheets in Notepad++ I was able to successfully run "Blazing Dragons", "Dragonforce", and "Shining Force III".  Unfortunately these all only run in Retroarch directly, Launchbox doesn't seem to want to play nice.

If you now have your games working through retroarch then there is no reason they wont work through Launchbox. Have you moved or renamed them at all since you imported them? Also is Retroarch using the beetle core under associated platforms tab? The core is called beetle but its actually called mednafen_saturn if you look in the core folder, so that's what you want in there.

23 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

well of course there is that to if the cue's don't reference the right file that will definitely cause issues. Glad you figured it out. Have you edited LB to use the Mednafen Core its is preconfigured to use the Yabause core

Yes, I'm using the Mednafen core...

2 minutes ago, Vampireslug said:

I've checked andchecked my LB settings for Retroarch... here are my configs: 5afaf0ac5e7f1_RetroarchVectrex1.thumb.png.0cff9c650767590059eb846fbcb87bfc.png5afaf0dca077f_RetroarchVectrex2.thumb.png.6d1ea9e20f7b352dd1bcef711a9a4116.pngI know the games work fine in Retroarch but I can't get LB to start it...

you are missing the cores\ part for Saturn, C64 and vectrex.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
16 minutes ago, HerrSchiller said:

How do I get Launchbox to recognize Retroarch as an emulator for the Sega Saturn? I have downloaded the Sega Saturn Beetle core for RetroArch but it doesn't appear in the "Associated Platform" list in Launchbox.

Just add it in the empty cell at the bottom of the list.

saturn.thumb.png.6b42bc77d4f8a20dd181cf56b73e75fe.png