Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
neil9000

Sega Saturn setup in Retroarch

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to pop in and say i ended up grabbing a darkwater set which work perfectly with mednafen/beetle in retroarch. So thanks for the help guys,i just grabbed the wrong set originally. Now i have got some serious sega rallying to be getting on with!! Thanks again. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Vampireslug said:

I'm getting the same runtime error with every game I try using the Beetle core...

For me the issue was the games, they were all in the wrong format, I downloaded a different pack and that fixed it. Your games should be .cue and .bin and you import the .cues into launchbox, and if loading directly from Retroarch again you load the .cue not the .bin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

For me the issue was the games, they were all in the wrong format, I downloaded a different pack and that fixed it. Your games should be .cue and .bin and you import the .cues into launchbox, and if loading directly from Retroarch again you load the .cue not the .bin.

All of my games are in .iso /.wav / .cue... I'm re-downloading the .bin/.cue versions.  Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vampireslug said:

All of my games are in .iso /.wav / .cue... I'm re-downloading the .bin/.cue versions.  Fingers crossed.

Yeah if you look on the first page of this thread I posted a image of mine and they were the same as that, iso/wav/cue and those didn't work, so that sounds like your issue. Once I downloaded a set with cue/bin everything worked just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm making progress... of a sort.  I now have my games in .bin & .cue format and if I start the Beetle core in Retroarch and choose the .cue file I can boot to the Saturn main screen but no further.  When the core first loads the .cue I get a yellow message "Uncorrectable data at sector 0", no matter what game I load, then the Saturn menu opens and I get the screen shown below but when I click "play", nothing happens.  Launchbox won't even load the core but at least I've gotten this far in Retroarch.5afaa3236b294_SegaSaturn2.thumb.png.d4a4aeb609003cc9e10a3a2d94f2cd25.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That means you disk dump is bad there are tools you can try to use to fix it (which I don't remember the name of) or you may have to find different games again. @Lordmonkusknows the tools you need hopefully he will chime in when he sees this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found my problem, my cue sheets referenced .iso instead of .bin - once I edited those sheets in Notepad++ I was able to successfully run "Blazing Dragons", "Dragonforce", and "Shining Force III".  Unfortunately these all only run in Retroarch directly, Launchbox doesn't seem to want to play nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well of course there is that to if the cue's don't reference the right file that will definitely cause issues. Glad you figured it out. Have you edited LB to use the Mednafen Core its is preconfigured to use the Yabause core

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vampireslug said:

I found my problem, my cue sheets referenced .iso instead of .bin - once I edited those sheets in Notepad++ I was able to successfully run "Blazing Dragons", "Dragonforce", and "Shining Force III".  Unfortunately these all only run in Retroarch directly, Launchbox doesn't seem to want to play nice.

If you now have your games working through retroarch then there is no reason they wont work through Launchbox. Have you moved or renamed them at all since you imported them? Also is Retroarch using the beetle core under associated platforms tab? The core is called beetle but its actually called mednafen_saturn if you look in the core folder, so that's what you want in there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

well of course there is that to if the cue's don't reference the right file that will definitely cause issues. Glad you figured it out. Have you edited LB to use the Mednafen Core its is preconfigured to use the Yabause core

Yes, I'm using the Mednafen core...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've checked andchecked my LB settings for Retroarch... here are my configs: 5afaf0ac5e7f1_RetroarchVectrex1.thumb.png.0cff9c650767590059eb846fbcb87bfc.png5afaf0dca077f_RetroarchVectrex2.thumb.png.6d1ea9e20f7b352dd1bcef711a9a4116.pngI know the games work fine in Retroarch but I can't get LB to start it...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vampireslug said:

I've checked andchecked my LB settings for Retroarch... here are my configs: 5afaf0ac5e7f1_RetroarchVectrex1.thumb.png.0cff9c650767590059eb846fbcb87bfc.png5afaf0dca077f_RetroarchVectrex2.thumb.png.6d1ea9e20f7b352dd1bcef711a9a4116.pngI know the games work fine in Retroarch but I can't get LB to start it...

 

you are missing the cores\ part for Saturn, C64 and vectrex.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean like scaling the internal resolution ?

If so then no. From what I have read though I believe the new Yabause builds which are now known as Yaba Sanshiro does do this. However expect a lot less compatibility.

http://uoyabause.org/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I get Launchbox to recognize Retroarch as an emulator for the Sega Saturn? I have downloaded the Sega Saturn Beetle core for RetroArch but it doesn't appear in the "Associated Platform" list in Launchbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HerrSchiller said:

How do I get Launchbox to recognize Retroarch as an emulator for the Sega Saturn? I have downloaded the Sega Saturn Beetle core for RetroArch but it doesn't appear in the "Associated Platform" list in Launchbox.

Just add it in the empty cell at the bottom of the list.

saturn.thumb.png.6b42bc77d4f8a20dd181cf56b73e75fe.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...