LaunchBox Community Forums

My custom SNES game borders

nadonate

I've been working on a few border-overlays (bezels) and thought I would share them with the community! All overlays are intended for a 16:9 format using the core provided system aspect ratio in RetroArch. Adjust the opacity to your liking. These should work fine in Launchbox, but I haven't tested this as I have only ever used RetroArch to display overlays. 

For those interested, I use Solid12345's excellent analog shader pack (#3) for scan line filtering. You can find this pack over on the RetroArch forums.

You can check out the filters and borders in action by clicking on the images below for my uploaded videos :).

Secret of Mana

5900d8b9b2490_RetroArch04_22.2017-12_42_50_02.thumb.png.f2e64347dcd28b4ffe6e1779b5ab0232.png

I loved staring at the box and cart art when I was a kid. I found a high quality scan and decided it would make a nice border!

Final Fantasy VI (III)

5900d991aec56_RetroArch04_23.2017-15_38_53_03.thumb.png.56dc45ab60b3f3c568c7713161b7c4ff.png

This is a tribute to Yoshitaka Amano's art. I used his Chibi versions of most of the game characters. I decided to make this border functional by adding Sabin's blitz combinations (SNES versions) in the right side border. It looks fine on my 60" LCD, but may look a little cluttered on smaller displays.

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past

5900d9f4386f3_RetroArch04_23.2017-15_31_16_01.thumb.png.0d37f9a4eeddadd3c9958824b6b9e845.png

Another artist tribute. Shotaro Ishinomori's LTTP comic was originally serialized in Nintendo Power, it was reprinted in 2015. As a seminal nostalgia piece I picked it up and highly recommend to any collector (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Amazon $17.99). Scans and touch-up coloring done by myself.

I have more planned, and will post them as they are completed. Thanks for letting me share!

Edited by nadonate
  • Like 8

@nadonate, these are really great, i assume they are 2560x1440 because that is the resolution of the monitor you are using?? How difficult would it be to produce a 1920x1080 version of these? Just wondering as that is the resolution most people use. As i said though these are great.

I already have a psd template if need to do 1920x1080

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

6 minutes ago, ci2own said:

I already have a psd template if need to do 1920x1080

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

You do not need to do anything, but i think more people use 1920x1080. It is your great work and you can distribute it however you like though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

@nadonate, these are really great, i assume they are 2560x1440 because that is the resolution of the monitor you are using?? How difficult would it be to produce a 1920x1080 version of these? Just wondering as that is the resolution most people use. As i said though these are great.

I just added 1920x1080 versions in the download section. Now you can select 2560 or 1920 when you download. :)

options.thumb.PNG.94c0ccb2a402dee31f91b2aefd3e7b2a.PNG

Edited by nadonate
grammer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a playthru of the BOF series and decided to make overlays. It was difficult to find good usable scans of the original concept art, most searches produced images like this:

5911f5c599b7c_BreathofFire-OfficialCompleteWorksArtbook(12).thumb.jpg.ec75f62f3424e07b24d2fa2b1de97c5c.jpg

I ended up using the character portraits from the GBA version. I plan on making an overlay for each entry in the series, this is the first. Thanks for letting me share!

Breath of Fire

5911f4682812d_RetroArch05_08.2017-22_15_07_01.thumb.png.8ed7640537f2d9bd86884df1c774b616.png

Edited by nadonate
context
  • Like 2

Really like these, thanks nadonate!

Question to you or anyone who can answer...

Does retroarch not scale bezels based off of aspect ratio? do bezels have to match the resolution of your monitor?

Thanks!

Yes, Retroarch will scale these properly as long as the aspect ratio is correct. 2560x1440 & 1920x1080 are both 16:9 aspect ratios.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nadonate said:

Thanks!

Yes, Retroarch will scale these properly as long as the aspect ratio is correct. 2560x1440 & 1920x1080 are both 16:9 aspect ratios.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just figured this out a couple of hours ago. Really liking the usage of overlays. In fact, I went all out and am using the crt-geom shader. LOVING the authentic look!

Hoping you can help me with something...

Is there a shader that creates curvature, but WITHOUT scanlines? 

I want to be able to have screen curvature, but use the pixellate shader and then create the scanlines myself in photoshop.

Is any of that possible?  Thanks

56 minutes ago, JamesBaker said:

Just figured this out a couple of hours ago. Really liking the usage of overlays. In fact, I went all out and am using the crt-geom shader. LOVING the authentic look!

Hoping you can help me with something...

Is there a shader that creates curvature, but WITHOUT scanlines? 

I want to be able to have screen curvature, but use the pixellate shader and then create the scanlines myself in photoshop.

Is any of that possible?  Thanks

Try looking at Solid12345's thread over on the Retroarch forums. Most of his shaders have the CRT-geom you are looking for. 

His shaders are excellent, and I'm sure you'll be able to find something that works for you.

You could also load up a shader, and than disable the scanline pass in the shader menu of Retroarch.

• Like 1

Just now, Thatman84 said:

@JamesBaker im not sure if there is a shader without scanlines but you may be able to turn them off. There should be shader parameters menu in the shader menu that may give you the option to remove them.

Yeah i have just been looking myself, i cant seem to find one where you can turn the scanlines off though. You can switch the scanline pass to a different shader but cant turn it off.

• Like 1