LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Setup NEO-GEO Using RetroArch

destac

Yes, by that method (open RA and then load core then load content a SNES game) it runs SNES, NES and even Neo Geo games.

I can also access SNES and NES on the main menu:

1.thumb.jpg.424fa320fe0869f7eb9121a84614fdd1.jpgThe only strange thing is that Neo Geo don't have those menus like SNES or NES, but everything runs fine directly on RA.

Well the Playlists in Retroarch don't matter to this to scenario, they have no impact on Launchbox working at all.

But that still doesn't help us out here. If your games are loading using the Load Core > Load Content method it should be working through Launchbox.

The only thing that I can think of at this point is that because you have a special character in your emulator path, the first folder I assume is your name and the "a" has an accent on it.

I really am only guessing at that though but it's the only thing that is what I would call out of the ordinary at this point. Everything else appears to be correctly setup.

You would think that but I am completely lost at this point and that's the only thing right now that I can see that could possibly be causing a problem Even if it is an extremely tiny chance it's the best I got right now unless there is something else i'm missing.

Skimming through the screenshots the only thing that I'm noticing is the special character in the path from your name, as Monkus said. That sort of thing has been known to cause problems. I would try moving your RA folder to another location that doesn't contain any special characters and changing your path in LB.

As far as it causing an issue with RA by itself, no it wouldn't necessarily. For example, special characters like that work just fine within CCS64 by itself, but when directing the exact same files to CCS64 via LB and they contain special characters, it doesn't work.

PROBLEM SOLVED MY FRIENDS!

It looks like the problem was exactly the special character on my path.

I did the following:

1. Uninstall and delete Launchbox and emulators.

2. I installed launchbox on the following path: D:\LaunchBox

3. I installed Retroarch on the following path: D:\LaunchBox\Emulators

4. I moved my roms to the following path: D:\LaunchBox\Games

5. I set up all the Retroarch definitions like the video

6. I imported the roms and set up my emulator (retroarch) properly and everything worked just fine, including SNES, NES and Neo Geo

It really was a strange issue but it is solved! I hope this issue will be fixed on future Launchbox Updates.

Now I will probably buy the premium forever license!

Edited by destac

Hmmmm.... I'm still having the same issue, Neo Geo/MAME games don't work, but NES and SNES games work. I don't have any special characters in my name or anything like that. Everything worked perfectly about a week ago, but now arcade games don't work from Launchbox. Launching through RetroArch works the way it always had though.

7 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

NeoGeo / Mame issues could be a romset or bios issue. Bios belong in the same folder as the roms.

IYeah, I've had both Neo Geo/Mame working from LaunchBox before though, so it's not a romset or bios issue. It works in RetroArch if I launch them from within RetroArch. I am only having an issue within the last two weeks trying to launch Neo Geo/Mame games from LaunchBox only. Nothing was changed other than LaunchBox being updated. I'm assuming an beta update broke something because my setup has been working fine up until a couple weeks ago, now LaunchBox is the only issue.

Edited by TheMadMan007

We can solve this potential issue. Open up your LaunchBox/Updates folder and sort it by date. Look at the newest file, and count down how many beta's you downloaded. If it was (... what are we on now, beta 7?), all 7, go back 7 files. Run that installer, and it should be the latest stable release. Install that over your current LaunchBox install and you'll be back to the most recent stable. Double check to see if they launch then.

Ok, I went back and was able to re-install all the other versions of LaunchBox and everything loaded just fine. Went all the way up to beta 6 and Neo Geo and Arcade games worked without touching any settings at all. Install beta 7 and try running those games through launchbox and retroarch crashes or doesn't respond.

I think I finally figured it out. During updates to beta 7, something broke along the way where it corrupted the emulator field of RetroArch. I verified on 4 different PCs that if updated to beta 7, Retroarch for MAME and Neo Geo games, they could not launch from LaunchBox, but retain playbliity from within Retroarch.

Once I deleted the Emulator from LaunchBox, re-added it, added in the cores and default emulator status, MAME and Neo Geo games worked again perfectly. I'm not sure exactly the reason why this happened, and Playstation is still not working after updating to Beta 7, but one small step in the right direction is enough for me at this moment.  

• 1 year later...