LaunchBox Community Forums

Plugin Test

pdavis

Playing around with the new plugin feature. I wanted to write a simple Quote/Bible Verse of the day that would show up when you logged in but not sure that is possible yet. So this simple plugin just adds a right click menu item on games called "Quote of the Day" or "Verse of the Day" based on a configuration setting in the "QuoteOfTheDay.dll.config" file. Similar to the first example plugin Jason wrote based on IGameMenuItemPlugin with support for a custom plugin configuration file. Source and DLL is included.

Edited by pdavis
Posting new code in proper thread.
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 11:14 PM, pdavis said:

Playing around with the new plugin feature. I wanted to write a simple Quote/Bible Verse of the day that would show up when you logged in but not sure that is possible yet. So this simple plugin just adds a right click menu item on games called "Quote of the Day" or "Verse of the Day" based on a configuration setting in the "QuoteOfTheDay.dll.config" file. Similar to the first example plugin Jason wrote based on IGameMenuItemPlugin with support for a custom plugin configuration file. Source and DLL is included.

QuoteOfTheDay.zip

That is so awesome @pdavis! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try it out here. We should work together to figure out exactly what you need to make this ideal. I'm on the live stream right now but I'll check it out later this afternoon. If you can tell me exactly what hooks you need, I'll get on that. I know you need something for when the user logs in, so I can certainly add that. :)

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:02 PM, Jason Carr said:

That is so awesome @pdavis! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try it out here. We should work together to figure out exactly what you need to make this ideal. I'm on the live stream right now but I'll check it out later this afternoon. If you can tell me exactly what hooks you need, I'll get on that. I know you need something for when the user logs in, so I can certainly add that. :)

Sorry I missed you @Jason Carr looking at this on the live stream. I'm usually on for about half of it but have to go to lunch usually right as you start! The new ISystemEventsPlugin->LaunchBoxStartupCompleted is exactly what I needed. I will probably use ISystemMenuItemPlugin to add a configuration screen for the plugin. I've uploaded new code and started a proper thread for it in the Third-Party Applications and Plugins (Development and Beta Testing) section...

For another plugin I've been working on I could really use an event to let me know when and what game is launched and then some way to know when the user leaves a game and returns to Launchbox. I started working on this a couple of months ago as a stand alone exe but put the project on hold when I saw plugin support was coming soon. Basically it is a mini http server that allows clients to connect to it and it serves a webpage with the marque of the game being played. Currently it is watching the Windows processes that Launchbox spawns and then parses the Launchbox XML files to find out what marque should be served. I got the idea for this from a support ticket.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kerszr said:

...would it be possible for me to supplement your quotes with various trivia...

Yes, you can edit the quotes.xml file and put in any text you want. It currently expects a quote and an author, so for anything that didn’t have an author you would just leave that empty or use something else like a date or citation. Right now it would display a trailing dash (-) if the author was blank but I could have it omit the dash if author is empty.

If you know of a site that provides an xml feed or api for trivia then I could add that as well.

• Like 1

It would be cool if we could somehow make this work with the site we built as a side to DidYouKnowGaming, VGFacts, and have it pull a piece of trivia for each game, console, etc.

Though we have no API for you to grab from, so could prove to be a problem.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:15 AM, tSRDazz said:

It would be cool if we could somehow make this work with the site we built as a side to DidYouKnowGaming, VGFacts, and have it pull a piece of trivia for each game, console, etc.

Though we have no API for you to grab from, so could prove to be a problem.

The VGFacts site looks great and has a lot of good content that the plugin could pull from. However, without an API or XML feed I wouldn't want to pursue it. First it would be more difficult and prone to breakage, but secondly, the API is basically the sites way of giving permission to consume the content in other ways than just through the web browser. Many CMS based websites have the ability to offer their content through an XML feed, if this can be configured on VGFacts by the admistrator then I would hapily add support for the site.

5 hours ago, pdavis said:

The VGFacts site looks great and has a lot of good content that the plugin could pull from. However, without an API or XML feed I wouldn't want to pursue it. First it would be more difficult and prone to breakage, but secondly, the API is basically the sites way of giving permission to consume the content in other ways than just through the web browser. Many CMS based websites have the ability to offer their content through an XML feed, if this can be configured on VGFacts by the admistrator then I would hapily add support for the site.

I run the site with my good friend Pete. I may be able to wrangle something together for it if you'd like to use it :)

If you could let me know what specifications you need we can put it together for you. 

Edited by tSRDazz

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Couple of posts up. above when you posted, just saying.

I'm... Not sure I understand? I offered to expand my website to be used in a feature for his plugin... I'm not asking for anything, only offering. 

I honestly don’t know what Neil means as well, there's absolutely nothing problematic with it, rather the opposite. I'm guessing he just misread your post, so no worries.

I for my part really appreciate your offer about adding an interface to your site for LB plug-in creators as I'm a huge fan of your work. So thank you very much :)

OK, im going to apologise for any offence caused or taken, i was just looking out for our users, i dont know every youtuber or blogger in the world, clearly i made a comment saying be carefull, dont share your source code.And people took offence to that. That's fine. Each to there own if you know and trust the user then crack on. If you are unsure then obviously be carefull.