LaunchBox Community Forums

Movie Scraper Plugin [Broken]

@slipsystem Sorry me again. Here is a strange one, i thought now that i have the your plugin working that i would delete all my movies and start from scratch importing and scraping them all. They all imported fine as usual i then used ctrl a to highlight them all scraped with your plugin, and it turned every single movie (all 660!!) into Zootopia!!! lol. :) Any ideas??

Screenshot (137).png

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

@slipsystem Sorry me again. Here is a strange one, i thought now that i have the your plugin working that i would delete all my movies and start from scratch importing and scraping them all. They all imported fine as usual i then used ctrl a to highlight them all scraped with your plugin, and it turned every single movie (all 660!!) into Zootopia!!! lol. :) Any ideas??

Screenshot (137).png

woops this is what I get for not doing proper testing. I think I need to reset the variables to null, give me a sec I will try fix this and also implement file names.

Just now, slipsystem said:

woops this is what I get for not doing proper testing. I think I need to reset the variables to null, give me a sec I will try fix this and also implement file names.

lol :), no worry's i thought it was quite funny, Zootopia is the last film alphabetically so i assume that has something to do with it. Thanks for your continued help and support. :) 

I love that you are working so hard on this plugin because I can see it being the best thing ever once it's all set. One issue I'm currently having once it scrapes and says it's good and I refresh. The art that it found in the popup, doesn't show up. I've only tried it with 3 films so far. The first two I tried were 9 and Pee Wee on Broadway before I updated the plugin. I added the posters myself. I saw there was an update just now and decided to try again. I've included a picture of it working and showing the movie poster for Fear Inc, but like I said after I refresh, it doesn't actually update the pic though it did grab the details.

I'm also not entirely sure I'm adding the movies the right way. In the plugin description it says, Simply add the movies to launchbox. But since there isn't an option for "add movies" I've added them under "add roms". If there is a correct way to do this could anyone let me know please. I'm very new to launchbox. 

LB Movie Scrape.JPG

8 hours ago, EndlessMIke said:

I love that you are working so hard on this plugin because I can see it being the best thing ever once it's all set. One issue I'm currently having once it scrapes and says it's good and I refresh. The art that it found in the popup, doesn't show up. I've only tried it with 3 films so far. The first two I tried were 9 and Pee Wee on Broadway before I updated the plugin. I added the posters myself. I saw there was an update just now and decided to try again. I've included a picture of it working and showing the movie poster for Fear Inc, but like I said after I refresh, it doesn't actually update the pic though it did grab the details.

I'm also not entirely sure I'm adding the movies the right way. In the plugin description it says, Simply add the movies to launchbox. But since there isn't an option for "add movies" I've added them under "add roms". If there is a correct way to do this could anyone let me know please. I'm very new to launchbox. 

LB Movie Scrape.JPG

I think it is to do with punctuation in the names, i had a lot also with no artwork, but the artwork is actually there but named incorrectly. For example i had "2001: A Space Odyssey" which scraped but didn't have art in launchbox, turned out the artwork WAS in the image folder however it had dropped any text before the : so in my image folder it was called "A Space Odyssey" therefore didn't match the movie name so wasn't showing in launchbox. I spoke to slipsystem about this via a PM and he is aware of it but not sure how to deal with it, this was his response.

"its because of the safe name conversion. the : is not supported by windows so launchbox uses a convertor to change the name. im not 100% sure how Jason does this but it beats the script crashing.i will look into this properly thogh as soon as i get a chance."

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I think it is to do with punctuation in the names, i had a lot also with no artwork, but the artwork is actually there but named incorrectly. For example i had "2001: A Space Odyssey" which scraped but didn't have art in launchbox, turned out the artwork WAS in the image folder however it had dropped any text before the : so in my image folder it was called "A Space Odyssey" therefore didn't match the movie name so wasn't showing in launchbox. I spoke to slipsystem about this via a PM and he is aware of it but not sure how to deal with it, this was his response.

"its because of the safe name conversion. the : is not supported by windows so launchbox uses a convertor to change the name. im not 100% sure how Jason does this but it beats the script crashing.i will look into this properly thogh as soon as i get a chance."

this is because Imbd has artwork but Fanart.tv doesnt. 

the preview is comming from imdbs listing and not fanart.tv I will code in the image collection for imdb.

as for the safe naming conversions this issue should be fixed @neil9000 can you please confirm this is still an issue?

sorry I meant so say moviesdb the script only uses the imdbid to scan fanart.tv

Edited by slipsystem

3 minutes ago, slipsystem said:

this is because Imbd has artwork but Fanart.tv doesnt. 

the preview is comming from imdbs listing and not fanart.tv I will code in the image collection for imdb.

as for the safe naming conversions this issue should be fixed @neil9000 can you please confirm this is still an issue?

I would love to test for you but unfortunately my HDD died and i lost everything, so i have nothing to test with. :( Maybe someone else in this thread can have a look for you. Sorry.

13 hours ago, EndlessMIke said:

LB Movie Scrape.JPG

I have updated the plugin. it will now download artwork from moviedb as well as fanart.tv, this will fix the issue you where facing.

thanks for the report.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Feel free to ignore this, but I have a bit of a request. I don't know anything about coding or I would do this myself. Hopefully it won't be much trouble...

Could you write a modified version of this plugin which downloads only actor metadata, and uses that metadata in the "Series" field in LaunchBox?

• 3 months later...

Hi just curious, this is a great plugin, But is it possible to also scrape a "Screenshot" or make fanart "screenshot" my theme I use, uses a basic Movie cover, a screenshot and a blurred fanart. But its predominantly the screenshot that's seen, not fanarts.

Is it possible to get a version that instead of it downloading a fanart, it downloads it as a "Screenshot?"

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...