LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing the Win3xO and eXoDOS Collections (Now with Win3xO+eXoDOS images!)

syntax_X

Note** The tutorial was originally written for only the eXoDOS collection but it will work all the same for win3xO. You will have to rename the ID4 game names in Launchbox, and there are around 5 random .bat files that will import as games but you can find and delete them easily as the pictures will not load for them.

Here is a method to import the eXoDOS collection retaining Exos DosBox configs, install system and all images ect but using Launchbox images also.
Makes for a very user friendly complete looking Dos collection that saves on space as you are only installing the games you play.

Ex0s images had to be renamed to work with Launchbox 7.
Download the renamed versions here 

https://archive.org/details/Win3xO1.0Launchbox7Images

https://archive.org/details/eXoDOS_LB_Images

Open launchbox and start a fresh rom import.
Import files from the !dos folder, search for *.bat
Wait a few minutes till the search completes as it takes awhile, scroll to the bottom of the list to be sure its not still updating.
ctrl+a select all 
organize the game import list alphabetically and delete all instances of install.bat.
Make a new platform and call it eXoDOS, and a new emulator(point it at any exe it doesn't matter, could use a current emulator I guess)
Scrape as MS-DOS
Do not connect to the LB database or download any metadata/images, untick all boxes but leave force import duplicates ticked.
After the import is complete close Launchbox

Put the renamed images you downloaded earlier in the Launchbox image folder.
Open Launchbox
Select all eXoDOS games and bulk edit
choose emulator and leave it blank and save/exit

backup your eXoDOS.xml in launchbox data. Best to make it a .zip right there as you will need to use it to replace your eXoDOS.xml after each metadata update.

(Sometimes when you search the LB database for game information it renames the games to incorrect names.
This means the entire collection will never be tied to a LB DB number but if you have the images/videos present it will all still work.)

Ctrl-A eXoDOS collection
Download metadata
Choose what images/videos you want and on the last page uncheck all boxes.
After downloads are finished refresh close open LB and replace your eXoDOS.xml with the backup one if names have changed back to dupes .

With the renamed image download you will find there is are no images for 4-5 games,.
2-3 games have upsidedown ?'s in Launchbox that need to be renamed to the .bat file name (minus the year).
Alice Through the Looking Glass and Leather Goddess have file names that are too long, you decide what to rename them, those 2 are the only images that require renaming.
Everything else should work

Enjoy

Image links
Edited by syntax_X
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Here's a .bat file you can put in the eXoDOS or Win3x0 root folder (same folder as MEAGRE.exe) that will change all fullscreen resolution to 1920x1080.
This is useful for systems that have issues scaling or to reduce scale flicker when your monitor/tv is readjusting resolution.

If 1920x1080 is not your desired resolution edit the .bat with notepad and change all instances of 1920x1080 to the resolution you want.

I've added another.bat for those of us that just have to have everything preinstalled.
Unzip every game and run fullscreen.bat to turn every game fullscreen.

eXoDOS Res and Fullscreen bulk edit.zip

Win3x0 Res and Fullscreen bulk edit.zip

I use a keyboard encoder with my setup and needed a way to flash it everytime Dosbox or ScummVM starts and then flash back to LB/BB mode when Dosbox or ScummVM closes.
This .bat if used as an additional app and with paths edited to suit will flash to Dosbox setup instantly to avoid a fullscreen minimise issue then search for ScummVM and flash to ScummVM setup if found.

If either Dosbox or Scummvm are found it will monitor them until they close then flash to BB/LB setup and exit. 

DosBoxScummVMAutoFlasher.zip

Edited by syntax_X
Updated .bat
  • Like 3

Now includes Win3xO 1.0 images.
You will have to rename the ID4 game names in Launchbox to the .bat file names due to a scraping issue Launchbox has with the word "DISK"

There are also around 5 random .bat files that will import as games but you can find and delete them easily as the pictures will not load for them. A few are called config.... and the rest should be towards the end of the list. 

Edited by syntax_X
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel like I followed the directions, as much as I could.  I don't recall anything to uncheck during the below step.  Regardless, I have many more than 4 or 5 missing images.  Looks like its probably more like a few hundred.

On 5/27/2017 at 11:25 AM, syntax_X said:

I know this post may be a bit old but I figured it might still apply.  I have LaunchBox 7.10 installed, if that helps.  The attached screenshot shows what my install looks like right from the start.

Edited by Someone
Clarification

1 hour ago, Someone said:

599ae01c37446_eXoDOSImport.thumb.jpg.34c8dff223a8a5e36d10a2ab51257251.jpg

You missed this step:

backup your eXoDOS.xml in launchbox data. Best to make it a .zip right there as you will need to use it to replace your eXoDOS.xml after each metadata update.

(Sometimes when you search the LB database for game information it renames the games to incorrect names.
This means the entire collection will never be tied to a LB DB number but if you have the images/videos present it will all still work.

So go and delete your dos xml file and reimport the collection then backup that xml straight after the import. youll need it if this ever happens.
Edited by syntax_X

The below image represents the last part of the download metadata, at least as far as I see.  I assume I should pick the middle option.  There are no check boxes for me to uncheck, unless I am unchecking what I want downloaded.  I will proceed with round two and see where it gets me.

On 5/27/2017 at 11:25 AM, syntax_X said:
Ctrl-A eXoDOS collection
Download metadata

image.thumb.png.1809b6e001cc9b37962a98a770487b52.png

After a full rebuild I get the same results.  followed all of the steps and created a backup xml after the initial import.  Not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Only thing I can think to do differently would be to use EmuMovies as well.  Thus far I have only used LaunchBox for metadata and media.

Edited by Someone
Update

Your letting lunchbox scrape your collection and wondering why stuffs getting renamed? The instructions were pretty clear.

Do not connect to the launchbox database.

Do not download ANY meta untill the import is complete.

That includes searching for game info.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21.08.2017 at 11:34 PM, syntax_X said:

Your letting lunchbox scrape your collection and wondering why stuffs getting renamed? The instructions were pretty clear.

Do not connect to the launchbox database.

Do not download ANY meta untill the import is complete.

That includes searching for game info.

Hi I got same problem. Like You write in tutorial I DID NOT download any metadata at the when I add bat files to the collection. I DID download metadata in the second step after backup my data file just like in the instruction, or maybe this means something different :

On 27.05.2017 at 4:25 AM, syntax_X said:

Ctrl-A eXoDOS collection

Download metadata

After downloads are finished refresh close open LB and replace your eXoDOS.xml with the backup one if names have changed back to dupes .

Been months since I even touched launchbox. If you can't get it working they may of changed something.

Seriously Jason should have exodos and Win3exo integrated by now.

EXO put a lot of time and effort in on his end of integration and has waited well over a year for Jason to do his part.

Let me know when things have changed.

Edited by syntax_X

• 5 weeks later...
On 26/5/2017 at 11:25 PM, syntax_X said:

Import files from the !dos folder, search for *.bat

Hi syntax_X,

I am trying your tutorial but I am stuck at the beginning since I can't find any .bat files in there. I have downloaded the eXoDOS collection 2.0 and the only folder called !dos is into Games/LAB folder, and I can see only subfolders with dosbox.conf files there, not .bat files.

Can you give me some light please?

Thanks!

Martin