LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing the Win3xO and eXoDOS Collections (Now with Win3xO+eXoDOS images!)

syntax_X

On 24-10-2017 at 1:17 PM, DOS76 said:

Fortunately or unfortunately I guess depending who you are Syntax X has been banned from the forum so he won't be able to assist you on this.

I read through some comments Syntax made, and I'm not sure that I understand why he was banned. he seems perfectly reasonable. 

Repeated post along the lines of this is why he was banned.

"Doesn't matter what you do Launchbox will always fail to perform correctly.

I haven't touched it in months, just had a play with the most recent build and no problems have been fixed.

Using the alphabet wheel in bigbox still has delayed input and goes past selection.

If collection size is an issue like the mods are always saying/blaming then there should be a method in place to reduce the number of files per folder by making multiple rom/picture/video folders that all link to the same console.

Seriously tho finger pointing at people's collection size is an utter joke.

If you've come from hyperspin to here expect disappointment."

I personally found him to be toxic, someone who wanted to tear the program down even though like he says he hasn't used it in months. He may have thought he was being one of those the squeaky wheel gets the oil type guys but instead the tire got replaced. Basically you are expected to write with some type of politeness here and not come on with a giant chip on your shoulder and act like an asshat. He had received multiple warnings for abusiveness before he was banned. Very few people come to the forums and have any issues because they come and are polite and even when they have issues they don't write in a tone filled with anger and abuse its bad enough we have to deal with people who act like that in the real world who wants to come online and have to deal with the same shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

okay. 

what I read into this: he's disappointing and frustrated for not being taken serious. Although pointing at the large collections as an user related issue does make sense to me, but the problem is not the large collection it self but the amount of media associated with that collection which gives BB that sluggish feel. you need a pretty beefy computer the way it's handled.

so I do understand his critique. 

I've read some of his other posts and I don't find it particularly offensive or disrespectful. 
don't confuse criticism with impoliteness. 
'Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah wow, those are all pretty hard critiques yes I'll give them that, but it's not any more scolding than your average movie review.  I could understand if it was really inflammatory language, but even though its harsh, I don't get an overly out of control crazy vibe from any of that.  But I have no dog in this fight, it just piqued my interest.  I don't use exodos.  I can see how trying to actually deal with someone like this on a technical level would get trying, so meh.  Ban seems over the top though. Anywho hope the dos/win3.0 gets figured out.

28 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

Yeah wow, those are all pretty hard critiques yes I'll give them that, but it's not any more scolding than your average movie review.  I could understand if it was really inflammatory language, but even though its harsh, I don't get an overly out of control crazy vibe from any of that.  But I have no dog in this fight, it just piqued my interest.  I don't use exodos.  I can see how trying to actually deal with someone like this on a technical level would get trying, so meh.  Ban seems over the top though. Anywho hope the dos/win3.0 gets figured out.

I'm not going into details, but the ban was for more than just the reply's in this specific thread.

1 minute ago, damageinc86 said:

Fair enough. I have never even tried exodos. I hear it's good, but I still use defend reloaded for my msdos stuff, running through RL for joy2key profiles. What's the main draw of exodos ?

I have not tried it either, but I believe everything comes pre configured in this set to just sort of work, with minimal config editing and such by the user. Haven't really messed with dos at all personally, so someone more knowledgeable than I will have to answer that one for you.

They aren't really critiques though "doesn't matter what you do LB will fail to perform correctly" there is nothing constructive there and its also not very true to me that statement sounds like its unusable and I find that to be far from the truth. His statement about the wheels is not factual from my experience while sometimes there is delayed input but I don't find it to be regular or consistent and I've had the experience be worse depending on hardware specs. ie I rarely see it on my i7 or i5s but it does happen on my arcade machine which has an amd e450. His last statement about HS is the really funny one because we have a lot of HS users here who have switched and seem to not be all that disappointed

I'm not out to tell you what is critique and is frustrations however:. 

frustration/disappointment/desperation: "doesn't matter what you do LB will fail to perform correctly"

Critique: I haven't touched it in months,  just had a play with the most recent build and no problems have been fixed. Using the alphabet wheel in bigbox still has delayed input and goes past selection.

so in the first part he implies that he had the issue before, and that out of frustration h has left it alone. then he came back later saying that he downloaded the latest beta and he concluded that his perceived issues still weren't fixed. 

I am a former HS user and I've always said and still think that LB is dissapointingly basic and dull when comes to presentation. it is easy to use though. and with the big flix theme I'm content with how it looks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How i added my exodos into launchbox was by taking a file manager and doing the search for *.bat in the games folder (file manager is faster than launchbox), and then I moved all the install files over, keeping the folder structure.  Then I followed the instructions.  This went alot faster than having to click on every install.bat fle in the launchbox list (in win3xo there is over 1000).  

Also the front page instructions are kind of confusing it says to "delete all install files" , yet the install files are necessary so you do not want to delete them, just not include them.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm one the ones who tried to follow this tutorial, and ended up with the same missing covers issue after the scrape. 

...and yeah...I'm one of the guys who *#!!* deleted the install.bat files stupidly.... BUT for those who made that mistake, you just have to reinstall exodos by clicking the setup exodos.bat file. It wil regenerate all the games frm their respective zip, right into the !dos folder. So no worries! :) 

I guess we should wait for Jason to build something proper, as messing with the metadata is a risky business.... So lets hope he will come up with a nice new feature to import both exodos and win3xo properly in a near future.

In any circumstance, thank you so much for LB, it really rocks, even without exodos/win3xo being supported for now. 

Edited by meaning_