LaunchBox Community Forums

Open - Deletions not functioning properly? - Issue #339

DjBlades

The Launchbox DB seems a lot faster to use since the updates, but it seems to have also broken deletion requests.

I deleted two screenshots for Metal Gear Ac!d as they were from the sequel, and added a proper screenshot to replace them. All these actions were approved.

However, whilst the new upload went through, the deletions did not. I thought that I may have made a mistake, so I submitted the deletion requests a second time, in which they were approved again, but still the images remain.

I did the same for Mario Galaxy 2, deleting a watermarked image and uploading a normal one. Deletion was approved, but never went through.

Is this just a bug on my end, or a problem with the DB itself?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback! This is a different bug than what I fixed (i.e. we had an issue with deleting games that had alternate titles set.)

I figured I missed something with Image deletion request, but I couldn't find examples of it going wrong. Thanks for the data! I'll get this sorted on Wednesday. :)

• Like 1

I've resubmitted the requests, and I'll check if it works once they're approved.

On a side note, did you speed up moderator actions in some way? Normally it took around 2 days before a change got enough votes to be approved, but now I get them within a couple hours.

I don't mean to doublepost, but I may have found something else too :P

The deletions for Metal Gear Ac!d went through fine, and their images have been removed from the database entirely. But there are a few images from a while ago that I deleted, and were removed from the database, but still seem to be downloaded within Launchbox. For instance, I removed this watermarked image from LocoRoco a while ago, and for Mario Party 6 I uploaded the entirely wrong game entirely, then removed it around the start of the month. That's still downloaded too.

Could this be a remaining problem with the DB, or just on my end thanks to a cache or something?

Again, apologies for the doublepost. I installed Launchbox on my laptop and downloaded metadata for Locoroco and Mario Party 6, both images still downloaded. But if you're not hosting them, I have no clue where they're coming from. I didn't have those images anywhere on my laptop before using Launchbox to download them.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, so, good catch @DjBlades!

Basically, the image deletion process sometimes encounters an error which causes it to fail at deleting some of the images hosted on images.launchbox-app.com. Sadly, it often fails while trying to delete the actual image being hosted, and not while trying to delete the thumbnailed image we're showing online, which causes ghost images to be downloaded. 

There's about one thousand of these lying around the site right now. I'll erase them all and add a cleanup script to the DB maintenance routines. Basically, if this happens again in the future (which it probably will, as it's basically a threading/file IO issue which is a pain to handle gracefully with the current system we're using), it'll catch it and erase it at midnight, which should prevent these images from being downloaded randomly.

• Like 1

Thanks for fixing! Certainly sounds like quite a strange error, glad to hear you managed to handle it though.

And again, thanks for the continued work on the Launchbox Database, it's exceptionally useful :)

Should I mark the topic as solved or something?

Edited by DjBlades

Heya Dj,

Not yet. I've just noticed that Jason implemented something partially like what I'm trying to do, and I'm not sure why. I'll have to leave this one up for a while, as I'm uncertain as to whether or not there was a reason for keeping them around. (i.e. there's already a function on the server that looks for and identifies all images that are being impacted by this issue. It does nothing with them, just tells you what the problematic images are, so I'm not sure if he was already looking into fixing it and never had the chance to finish, or whether he wanted to do something else with them.)

All in all, we'll have a fix when Jason comes back, I just don't want to randomly delete one thousand-ish images he may have had plans for :P.