LaunchBox Community Forums

Saturn emulation - is it just crap

PowerCooker

The extra input lag might be certain games, again I don't have the equipment to test it and I have nor seen anyone one do any actual tests like Brunnis did for the SNES. While Yabause may have lower input lag its compatibility is awful in comparison to SSF and Mednafen.

3 hours ago, Imortus.san said:

All I do is, open the cue in launchbox with no emulator selected, and run a bat file after the main app runs, just by having daemn tools  lite installed windows 10 opens and mounts the game.

This is still mounting a disk though, it's just automated instead of doing it manually.

It as less steps and its more simple then it was before, and between the three emulators I prefer SSF every day, it was not until recently that Mednafen core fixed the audio issues in Sexy Parodius and many other games.

I play manly Vs games and Shoot en ups, so I spoted the input lag really fast while jumping and kicking in street fighter alpha 3, hope the input Lag improves and so the compatibility, but until then I will keep SSF as the best, that why I don't agree with the topic title, while using SSF emulation is pretty good in the most common games (N64 is way, but way worst).

Edited by Imortus.san

Well I always say people should use what works for them, if that is SSF then that is fine but for the average user setting it up to mount disks and installing Daemon Tools without the ad-ware that is bundled with it is a more complicated process.

If input lag with fighting games and shooters are of such a major concern then why not just play the Mame versions where input lag is a minimal issue (I say minimal because there is always some). The vast majority of those types of games are arcade ports anyways.

I agree with you that the topic title is awful because Saturn emulation is not crap. SSF and Mednafen both do the job quite well, it's just up the end user which they prefer and suits their needs.

The reason I prefer the console version is because most times they have much more options, ex:. SFA 3 for Saturn and PSP are 10 times better them the arcade version in speed and all the modes, that's why I really love the console ports, Mars Matrix is my favorite Dreamcast shoot em up, but I never play the arcade version, it's just no fun, because on the Dreamcast you can unlock tons of stuff, another exemple are the Cave games, I always play the Xbox 360 version due to resolution and more game modes.

Edited by Imortus.san

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Glad you got it working, now if you find games that don't work in all likelihood you have a bad disk image. You will want cue + bin or chd files from the Mame CHD collection but those are only supported by Retroarchs Beetle Saturn core.

some games only got mdf and mds files what i do with those?