LaunchBox Community Forums

7.11-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Issue is still ongoing.  Tried messing with theme options, but BigBox Mode fails to render anything when a theme is used from a cold boot state.  Game videos work fine after the initial 20 sec. "rest" period, but I would prefer to have the platform/playlist view work properly upon first boot, everytime.

Yeah i honestly don't know what's going on there, he missed Monday, then it was intimated in the discord that he may miss today as well, so i wasn't expecting today either, but most people are not on the discord so something somewhere saying something would help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm very sorry for the delays and breaks from streaming, etc. This summer has just been insane for me. Anyways, I do have a new beta out for you guys. I've been working on the alternate titles stuff for like a week now, and I have alternate title combining working properly for both imports and ROM consolidation. It honestly proved to be much more of a pain than I expected, but I think it's mostly there.

I'll go through the rest of this thread here shortly.

• Like 10

On 6/23/2017 at 6:59 AM, y2j420 said:

I guess, but this only happens when using a theme (Default works perfectly fine with the video), and the game specific videos work fine as well.  Once I close out of Big Box Mode and go back in, all videos work perfectly fine.  If I Restart the system (not do a Shutdown), and Big Box Mode launches, it works perfectly fine as well.  Doesn't matter if I use VLC or WMP for video rendering.

In summary, this only happens when launching Big Box Mode for the first time from a cold boot.  Beta 5, Beta 6 both do it.  And, again, this only happens when a theme is applied (CityHunter, CriticalZone, and Metallic all exhibit this problem).

This issue is unfortunately going to be extremely difficult to troubleshoot and resolve, largely because it seems to be only happening on your system and I can't reproduce it. It's even weirder that it's only happening on first launch. Does it happen if you boot up the computer, and let it sit there for 10 minutes before launching Big Box?

On 6/23/2017 at 3:45 PM, shinra358 said:

@Jason Carr Just got around to trying out the steam banners inclusion. When there are no steam banners available for the game, there's a huge launchbox placeholder. And you fix it so the place holders become text of the name of the game please?

This is definitely something we need, but we need to add a bunch more related options so that the default images are completely customizable. So this is coming, but it might be a bit yet. :)

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 11:51 AM, SNAK3ATER said:

Actually I wanted to request something similar to your idea but instead of inserting the text in place of the launchbox placeholder how about we have an ability to set a fallback property for the imagetype?

Here is an example of how this would work:

1- Let's say that I decided to set the ImageType of the flowcontrol for my view to Steam Banners

2- The theme would look cool with the games that have steam banners downloaded. However, any game that does not have steam banner will have launchbox placeholder instead..totally disrupting the flow of the theme

3- Here the user can set a fallback property instructing bigbox to retrieve pictures from a second ImageType specified by the user (i.e. In my case I will instruct BigBox to retrieve pictures from Steam Banners first and second retrieve from Screenshots/Boxart if the game is missing steam banners media)

4- Having text alongside Boxart/Steam banners would not look aesthetically pleasing imo 

What do you think about this idea @Jason Carr is it possible to implement it? :)

This type of functionality is already possible via the image priority settings, however, I do not believe that there are priority settings available for Steam banners. That said, it's easy to tweak the priorities to pull this off already by using one of the existing available image groups.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, I'm very sorry for the delays and breaks from streaming, etc. This summer has just been insane for me. Anyways, I do have a new beta out for you guys. I've been working on the alternate titles stuff for like a week now, and I have alternate title combining working properly for both imports and ROM consolidation. It honestly proved to be much more of a pain than I expected, but I think it's mostly there.

Ahh @Jason Carr! Good to see you back. I was just getting ready to start a "Has development of Launchbox stalled thread".

Just kidding LOL. Its summer dude. Gotta have time for family and stuff too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Totally understandable. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 11:42 AM, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, I'm very sorry for the delays and breaks from streaming, etc. This summer has just been insane for me.

What a relief....I was starting to get a little nervous myself :)

Good to have you back in action buddy. Family and life comes first.

On 7/13/2017 at 7:47 PM, Jason Carr said:

This type of functionality is already possible via the image priority settings, however, I do not believe that there are priority settings available for Steam banners. That said, it's easy to tweak the priorities to pull this off already by using one of the existing available image groups.

Welcome back @Jason Carr!

How do you add image priority settings to an existing view? for example if you look at the image below you will notice there is launchbox placeholders on the two game to the left since they do not have screenshots downloaded (I've set the imagetype to Screenshots for now as LB 7.10 does not support steam banners yet)

596a87dbd506d_Desktop07_16.2017-01_23_08_11.thumb.png.5f20cf8661693fc0797ec4025480480e.png

My question is how can I force BigBox to retrieve secondary imagetype for the missing media (i.e. fill the placeholder with clear logo, banner, etc)? 

Anyone noticing constant crashes with Launchbox (haven't tested BigBox)? No error log to present as it goes straight to "Not Responding". Only noticed this as I updated to the latest Beta from Beta 1. It happens most when navigating the platforms or performing a search / filter.

Reverting to the latest stable fixes my crashes.

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

On 7/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, SNAK3ATER said:

Welcome back @Jason Carr!

How do you add image priority settings to an existing view? for example if you look at the image below you will notice there is launchbox placeholders on the two game to the left since they do not have screenshots downloaded (I've set the imagetype to Screenshots for now as LB 7.10 does not support steam banners yet)

596a87dbd506d_Desktop07_16.2017-01_23_08_11.thumb.png.5f20cf8661693fc0797ec4025480480e.png

My question is how can I force BigBox to retrieve secondary imagetype for the missing media (i.e. fill the placeholder with clear logo, banner, etc)? 

Hi @SNAK3ATER, unfortunately there's no way to force that in Big Box currently. The user can customize the image priorities for the category, which should solve it for individual users, but unfortunately that is not currently available for theme creators to tweak. I agree that it would be nice to have though.

2 hours ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

Anyone noticing constant crashes with Launchbox (haven't tested BigBox)? No error log to present as it goes straight to "Not Responding". Only noticed this as I updated to the latest Beta from Beta 1. It happens most when navigating the platforms or performing a search / filter.

Reverting to the latest stable fixes my crashes.

Interesting. I assume you've tried rebooting and such. Has anyone else experienced this?