LaunchBox Community Forums

Amazon dropping their unlimited plan. Panic mode! Help find a new unlimited backup solution.

ALIE

Can I pick specific folders to upload with it. 

How about external Hard Drives is there a limit. 

Last if I was to back up a external and delete all files because I need the space does it sync and delete my backup as well. I have seen that and it seems completely idiotic ?

Just now, ALIE said:

Can I pick specific folders to upload with it. 

How about external Hard Drives is there a limit. 

You can specify as many (or as few) folders, drives, etc. as you want. You can give it specific locations that you want it to backup or just drop in all your drives and let it go. You can also include specific file types to exclude if you so choose. There isn't a limit on drives/storage.

2 minutes ago, ALIE said:

Last if I was to back up a external and delete all files because I need the space does it sync and delete my backup as well. I have seen that and it seems completely idiotic ?

I don't think it would delete anything but I'm not 100% on that one.

• Like 1

The files last for 30 days I believe. Otherwise, yea, you can tell it's program to back up as much or as little as you want. There is a file extension exclusion list, and I had to remove some file extensions from that list so it would also backup exe's and dll's, but otherwise it was ready to go right away. I've also excluded certain folders myself.

6 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

The files last for 30 days I believe. Otherwise, yea, you can tell it's program to back up as much or as little as you want. There is a file extension exclusion list, and I had to remove some file extensions from that list so it would also backup exe's and dll's, but otherwise it was ready to go right away. I've also excluded certain folders myself.

You mean old versions right? 

I guess so,. I think I'm just a little paranoid. Never really used an online backup before but I'm considering it. The 30 days thing. Is that just that you can recover older versions of a file thats been replaced for 30 days or everything you upload only lasts 30 days and you need to make sure to replace it before then? Any other options I should be looking at?

No, you can stop it whenever. If you have it on continuous, and you let it go, eventually it will start back up. So under schedule I'll change it from continuous to "when i click backup now". It does funky things when you leave it on "when i click backup now", so I never click start with that option checked, only continuous.

ok so now i am getting more into it. but as far as i can see choosing to back up one specific file out going into the exclusion list isnt possible.

and its not possible to just browse backed-up files and pic what ever i want to restore?

Carbonite is twice as much per year in order to achieve the same level of service. In years prior they used to throttle the shit out of your upload speed but I guess they finally lost enough customers to warrant changing that. You can't backup external drives with Carbonite unless you have a minimum of their "Plus" tier which is $100/year. If you buy a year in advance, Backblaze is $50/year with no storage limit, no drive limit, and no upload throttling.