Patham

Atari

14 posts in this topic

I got an interesting email in my inbox this morning. Wonder what it is?

A brand NEW Atari product
Years In The Making...

We're about to announce something new, and here at Atari we are very excited about it!

A new product that is an evolution of our past, and core to our future.

Get a sneak peek, and be among the first to know more, by subscribing now at www.ataribox.com

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So is this a real thing when I click the link it takes me to a page with a bunch of wix.com addresses on there I would think Atari would be able to build their own website for it.

Edit: D'oh I had to turn off NoScript to see the page but still the fact that it is using Wix elements when Atari corp has its own website makes me skeptical of this product.

Edited by DOS76

7 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

So is this a real thing when I click the link it takes me to a page with a bunch of wix.com addresses on there I would think Atari would be able to build their own website for it.

Edit: D'oh I had to turn off NoScript to see the page but still the fact that it is using Wix elements when Atari corp has its own website makes me skeptical of this product.

Sorry, I just copied and pasted the email.

As for what it is, dunno but I'm intrigued. B|

Well seeing how popular the mini nes was, i wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Atari mini that plays all the ATARI console and arcade games, maybe up to and including the Jaguar era? Just my thought's, and purely speculation on my part.

My concern is that it looks like the email is from Atari but it isn't an official Atari website that it links too.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

My concern is that it looks like the email is from Atari but it isn't an official Atari website that it links too.

Dunno about that, sorry, was just trying to pass along some news.

I did get an email from them back in January that said in part, "Brand new gaming hardware from Atari. We're getting ready to announce some new tech that will allow you to play classic Atari titles in a whole new way. Power, Speed, Design."

35 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well seeing how popular the mini nes was, i wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Atari mini that plays all the ATARI console and arcade games, maybe up to and including the Jaguar era? Just my thought's, and purely speculation on my part.

Personally, I'm hoping for some 8-bit love as the Atari computers were a big part of my life back then. I doubt it but one can hope. :)

Edited by Patham

5 hours ago, Patham said:

Personally, I'm hoping for some 8-bit love as the Atari computers were a big part of my life back then. I doubt it but one can hope. :)

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of the Atari 800 games lately and it's such an underrated gaming computer. Synapse's games are excellent.

Doesn't Atari already release, or at least license, Atari Flashback consoles every so often? Feels like whatever is getting hyped now is going to be another variation on that idea...

Yeah, they've put out numerous Flashback consoles. At least 7, I've lost track of how many. I'm sure hoping this is a bit more and it sounds like it might be. My fingers are crossed.

27 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Thanks @neil9000...and here's another short blurb about it:

https://www.cnet.com/news/ataris-rumored-new-game-console-is-real-and-pc-based/

I also just bought an Atari 800. Won't be here for a week or so but it's supposedly in pristine conditiion. I'm excited and I'll post up some pics when it gets here. :)

1 person likes this

Cool, yeah pretty much zero information at the moment, but at least it's official. I assume as it's PC based it will be software emulation based and not a fpga based system, but if the price is right it could be interesting. And i wonder how long it will take someone to rip the software off of it so you can just install it on any PC and use it as a emulator. Ill look forward to Atari 800 pics. :) 

1 person likes this

Over at the Atariage forums there's a rumor that there's some TV ads out. But I haven't see any yet.

1 person likes this

Fox News has a blurb about it today...

Still not much to go on but it's nice to see it's making a little noise.

My 800 has shipped and I should have it by week's end. And I also have an Ultimate SD Cartridge for it coming. I can load that sucker up with games and play on the real hardware. :)