LaunchBox Community Forums

BIGFLIX: A new user experience for your HTPC

Hello,

This theme started as a side project during the development of RetrAO Cafe 1.7 along with a third theme that i'll reveal soon.

BIGFLIX as the name suggests is a variation of Netflix for BigBox, the theme is still in early beta stages with only one view completed so far as my main focus was directed towards the completion of RetrAO Cafe 1.7, but I decided to resume developing this theme as RetrAO Cafe 1.7 has been put into halt as I wait for the release of Launchbox 7.11

Here is a screenshot of the completed view (subject to change in the final release):

593ee95d6dd0d_Desktop06_12.2017-14_46_00_08.thumb.png.4d444f5118c2f83c90bcbfbb0a7e7fcb.pngI'm still undecided on how to move forward with regards to designing other views so your ideas are much welcomed, i'm also looking for talented people from the community who can help me in designing artwork for this theme (i.e banners, platform clear logos and custom fanarts)

If you liked the theme and you're interested in helping me with the artwork design let me know in the comments below.

Cheers

• Like 17

Whoa, this looks like it has potential. I like the idea, though not so much the netflix style branding (such as the netflix font, netflix red flag, etc. But that's probably just me). Still looks amazing from just the one screenshot.

I like having videos displayed in my themes though, so maybe if the center screenshot in the ribbon is a video in one of the views? Just an idea. Interested in seeing where this goes!

2 minutes ago, shadowblind said:

Whoa, this looks like it has potential. I like the idea, though not so much the netflix style branding (such as the netflix font, netflix red flag, etc. But that's probably just me). Still looks amazing from just the one screenshot.

I like having videos displayed in my themes though, so maybe if the center screenshot in the ribbon is a video in one of the views? Just an idea. Interested in seeing where this goes!

I'm glad that you liked the theme! The netflix style branding of this theme is based on the actual user interface of Netflix application for HTPC and PS4 :)

Here is a reference of the Netflix Gui that my theme was based from:

netflix-screenshot.thumb.jpeg.e1a6e7eeee577a436f0ae92e680f1858.jpeg71IoosqDbpL.thumb.jpg.12cc81993f11c1b284e72f74d7aee41a.jpgnew-feature-img1.thumb.jpg.bb1329824389b73ce1f06a2e0ef6955d.jpgAs a perfectionist i wanted the theme to stay true to Netflix design wise but as I mentioned the final view is subject to change based on the community feedback.

I'm planning to have a separate view that uses platform/game videos instead of fanarts so your feedback is taken into consideration

Cheers

• Like 1

Oh man, I had started working on a Netflix theme a few weeks ago. Now I gotta figure out something else :P

I've got some mock-ups of what I was planning on doing, if they interest you....

For your current theme can I make a little suggestion? Instead of "BigFlix Original" can you put the logo for the game's platform?

Edited by Kriven

25 minutes ago, dilladog said:

+1 tone back the branding. The "Bigflix Original" doesn't really mean anything and Netflix alternates between right top and right bottom, but doesn't place both.

Pretty sweet work though. Hope it comes together smooth.

That can be done, how about I keep the top right branding only for fanarts view and use the right bottom only for the game videos view as to not obstruct the videos? "Bigflix Original" will be replaced with something else in the next update 

24 minutes ago, Kriven said:

Oh man, I had started working on a Netflix theme a few weeks ago. Now I gotta figure out something else :P

I've got some mock-ups of what I was planning on doing, if they interest you....

For your current theme can I make a little suggestion? Instead of "BigFlix Original" can you put the logo for the game's platform?

The "BIGFLIX ORIGINAL" can be replaced with the logo for the game's platform but i'm still unsure what type of logo should I use (Should I insert a text only like "Sega Genesis" or should I use a picture like a custom platform banner or should I use the platform clear logo..still undecided)

I'm happy with any assistance whether it is some mock-ups or theme/artwork development, share with me your ideas bro!

13 minutes ago, kerszr said:

Could you give us a video, @SNAK3ATER? This looks incredible.

Sure man can do, I'll upload a video soon after implementing some of the suggestions on this thread most probably sometime this week

• Like 2

I decided to combine some of what I was trying to do with what you've done here. BigFlix Original replaced with platform clear logo. Took some influence from the web version of Netflix (which my theme was going to be based on) and moved the "Favorite" and "Completed" icons. The currently selected game is larger than the next games in line, and also displays the game's clear logo in the corner. ESRB rating with description text. Altered Netflix color scheme to Big Box color scheme.

There's a lot of empty space on the bottom that could be used for things, although I know the sleek look is part of what makes the Netflix theme so definitive. If it's possible, it might be worthwhile using that space for either the ESRB/developer information (to declutter the upper section).

BigFlix.png

• Like 2

Sorry for the double post, but I wasn't quite happy with what I had come up with before. Here I've deviated a little bit more from the source material, but I think I've come up with a much cleaner and more pleasing look. I also removed some redundant information.

BigFlix2.png

8 minutes ago, Kriven said:

I decided to combine some of what I was trying to do with what you've done here. BigFlix Original replaced with platform clear logo. Took some influence from the web version of Netflix (which my theme was going to be based on) and moved the "Favorite" and "Completed" icons. The currently selected game is larger than the next games in line, and also displays the game's clear logo in the corner. ESRB rating with description text. Altered Netflix color scheme to Big Box color scheme.

There's a lot of empty space on the bottom that could be used for things, although I know the sleek look is part of what makes the Netflix theme so definitive. If it's possible, it might be worthwhile using that space for either the ESRB/developer information (to declutter the upper section).

BigFlix.png

This actually looks pretty impressive! Although must probably i'll keep the red scheme for aesthetics reasons (but hey I can always offer Alt looks in the future)

I'll try and move some of the icons similar to the picture here but I do have a question:

Is the Assassin's creed wheel logo a static picture? Cause it does have a play icon on it

Originally I had an idea where the center game wheel logo fades into a video but at this current stage this is not possible; I can certainly make the picture fade out into the game's video but currently there is a limitation with BigBox where you cannot delay the playback of the video (Actually if you check my RetrAO Cafe thread I posted a new teaser of the theme where you can see one of the views implementing this idea but it is still not perfect)

I'll work on your suggestions and will update the thread back with my progress

Eh, I just took the play icon from the Netflix web UI. I thought it was a little "accuracy touch." The image would remain static, since I don't think the fading clipshow that Netflix does is possible in Big Box atm.

netflixweb.png

Edited by Kriven

Here's a quick update on the two views that i'm working on based on the community feedback:

View 1: Game Banner + Fanart (Great for platforms/games that has multiple wallpapers/screenshots/banners)

Desktop_06_13.2017_-_18_05_02_08.thumb.png.72529db0f7a539a37dad5825778da773.pngDesktop_06_13.2017_-_18_06_25_10.thumb.png.c9eecb47b0948231b89a875b4e6413d1.pngView 2: Game Boxart wheel logos + game video preview (Great for platform/games that has large front cover boxart such as PS2 and Sega Genesis)

Desktop_06_13.2017_-_18.09_13_11.thumb.png.503853b8413fb134e19596b21e353d6f.pngDesktop_06_13.2017_-_18_05_38_09.thumb.png.3f7856623c31d65cb5a91ad27474f3ea.png

Here is the changelog based on the community feedback:

1- Replaced "BIGFLEX ORIGINAL" with Platform title (I replaced the text with platform clear logo on my first attempt but it did not look nice imo, custom banners for the platforms would be ideal here)

2- Toned down the Netflix style branding, now each view has only one unique logo for it (Still WIP as i've yet to apply fading effects to make them less obtrusive)

3- Rearranged the icons and Metadata info based on suggestions from @Kriven (Favorite and Complete icons are missing as I still didn't mess with the bottom half of the views)

4- Added a new view that uses game video snaps instead of fanarts with different wheel logo style

I'll start working on the second half part of the views as the wheel logos were not touched since the beta days, as always your feedback and suggestions are always appreciated towards the development of this theme :)

• Like 5

Here is a final look for the first games view of BIGFLIX, the lower half of the theme was a royal pain to develop but I felt the end result was worth it:

Desktop_06_14.2017_-_02_48_34_23.thumb.png.1f51157154d11f33f7168c258caf99bf.pngDesktop_06_14.2017_-_02_47_24_21.thumb.png.c54a713d67a143c3e226044eec88f603.png59406f20f39f3_Desktop06_14.2017-02_52_08_24.thumb.png.4efeb19b83983c46b9154acc57fc6611.png59406f664b1da_Desktop06_14.2017-02_53_06_25.thumb.png.d699f1a4ecc8714add57002625f57fff.pngHopefully i'll upload a video of the theme in action tomorrow, it's 3:00 AM here and i'm exhausted lol.. 

• Like 7

Thanks everyone for your support it helped me stay motivated and made me decide to shift theme development priority to BIGFLIX. My two other themes are progressing nicely but i'll try to release a working version of this theme first before going back to my other themes.

That being said here is the first video preview of this theme in action as promised:

So far only one view is completed (dubbed the fanart game view, skip to 00:30 seconds in the video to see it in action) while the second view dubbed the boxart view is still in early sketching phase. If you liked the final look of the Fanart game view let me know so that I move on to develop the Boxart view and other platform/game views. I'm open to ideas and suggestions so if you want to share with me your version of mock-ups similar to when my mate @Kriven shared earlier please do so and we'll work together in implementing your ideas into reality :)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Kriven said:

Oh wow, you did some cool things with my ideas there. I like how you included the play button and had it fade out as fanart became video, that's very nice.

Thanks bro your idea was so cool I had to implement it! I worked on the second view of this theme and overall i'm happy with how it turned out:

Desktop_06_15.2017_-_03_38_09_02.thumb.png.c2870c565f950122712ca0b8d8dc4894.pngDesktop_06_15.2017_-_03.34_15_01.thumb.png.2da73a3d0b5c50193f582d6e32cb71ee.pngThis view has the top main fanart fading into game video as someone requested a view with videos earlier on this thread. Now to be honest i'm having a hard time thinking about the design of the third view so i'm hoping for creative people like you to share some cool ideas to implement :D

• Like 4