LaunchBox Community Forums

BIGFLIX: A new user experience for your HTPC

4 hours ago, SNAK3ATER said:

The first platform view redesign was very tricky to nail down but I tried my best to replicate it as close as possible to the source material

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_02.14_-_21_24_47_27.thumb.png.7701a989e1685d2b8255218b498f84de.pngFeedback and suggestions are welcomed as always

nice! :)

here have some more banners

sega 32x eu.png

sega 32x EU
sega 32x jp.pngSega 32x JP

sega 32x us.pngSega 32x USA

sega cd eu.pngSega mega -CD EU

sega genesis.pngSega genesis

sega megadrive eu.pngSega Megadrive EU

sega megadrive jp.pngSega megadrive JP

sega dreamcast.png

sega mark III.png

Edited by Klopjero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loving it Klops. The only downside I can see is that some titles get fused a little too much with the bg, making them barely readable (i.e. Sega Saturn). 

Dont know if the best solution would be to find a more contrasted image, or apply some outter glow to the logo.

Nevertheless, I dig a lot the idea of using retro 2d imagery for the bgs :)

• Thanks 1

Good to see you back creating things Klop! I agree with the above on contrast but they are still looking good.

This is going to be my theme eventually when I have a PC that can run BB properly.

I'm super glad to be getting emails from this thread again. Snak3ater getting some help and pushing this theme forward again

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Klopjero said:

Feedback would be much appreciated

All is good my friend, but if you don't mind can you redesign Windows and Nintendo 64 banners to the Witcher for Windows and GoldenEye for N64?

Here are some samples to get you started:

Goldeneye

531986.thumb.jpg.61c7df62dd3ddba38fee80dffba1a5dd.jpg531988.thumb.jpg.b703112a9e2a03c4a53c77760337c85f.jpg

Witcher

595155.thumb.jpg.6416034b9f867043164971604fff1a66.jpg618413.thumb.jpg.b61d6fdc08b2daafc8233ef5439b3486.jpg637390.thumb.jpg.8cc12b0a774722d7e4e6c98fbb7009c7.jpgthe_witcher_3_wild_hunt_blood_and_wine_geralt_108775_3840x2400.thumb.jpg.ef40fc764bfb8f7ebd7e225912adc832.jpg

As i'm wrapping things up for release there are a couple of systems that are missing which I believe are essential as part of the bundled banners for BigFlix 1.1 and they are:

Sega Saturn US

Sega Naomi

Sony Playstation 1 (Metal Gear Solid for US, Castlevania symphony of the night for JP)

Sony PSP (God of War would be nice but it's up to you)

Amiga (Another World)

Atari ST

Daphne (Dragon Lair)

Arcade

MS-DOS

scummvm

Taito Type X (Blazblue or any nice fighting game)

Gameboy Color and Advanced (Pokemon featured in one of the systems)

The rest of the systems such as Wonderswan, MSX, watara supervision, etc can be bundled later to BigFlix 1.2 or offered as a separate download package. I completed both the first and fourth platform views and fixed the spacing issues as well so a new video teaser will be uploaded to showcase the new changes and hopefully the theme will be released tomorrow or on Sunday.

Thanks for your hard work Klop and to everyone for their feedback and support

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kondorito said:

Loving it Klops. The only downside I can see is that some titles get fused a little too much with the bg, making them barely readable (i.e. Sega Saturn). 

Dont know if the best solution would be to find a more contrasted image, or apply some outter glow to the logo.

Nevertheless, I dig a lot the idea of using retro 2d imagery for the bgs :)

I agree with that. I am applying an white/Black outerglow screen/multiply blend on the logo's already. Depending on the background. But you guys think I should add more? the banners are quite large, about 2x - 2.5x the size of say the 425x175 Hyperspin standerd. so adding more glow might look exagerated. 

Edited by Klopjero
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SNAK3ATER said:

All is good my friend, but if you don't mind can you redesign Windows and Nintendo 64 banners to the Witcher for Windows and GoldenEye for N64?

Here are some samples to get you started:

Goldeneye

531986.thumb.jpg.61c7df62dd3ddba38fee80dffba1a5dd.jpg531988.thumb.jpg.b703112a9e2a03c4a53c77760337c85f.jpg

Witcher

595155.thumb.jpg.6416034b9f867043164971604fff1a66.jpg618413.thumb.jpg.b61d6fdc08b2daafc8233ef5439b3486.jpg637390.thumb.jpg.8cc12b0a774722d7e4e6c98fbb7009c7.jpgthe_witcher_3_wild_hunt_blood_and_wine_geralt_108775_3840x2400.thumb.jpg.ef40fc764bfb8f7ebd7e225912adc832.jpg

As i'm wrapping things up for release there are a couple of systems that are missing which I believe are essential as part of the bundled banners for BigFlix 1.1 and they are:

Sega Saturn US

Sega Naomi

Sony Playstation 1 (Metal Gear Solid for US, Castlevania symphony of the night for JP)

Sony PSP (God of War would be nice but it's up to you)

Amiga (Another World)

Atari ST

Daphne (Dragon Lair)

Arcade

MS-DOS

scummvm

Taito Type X (Blazblue or any nice fighting game)

Gameboy Color and Advanced (Pokemon featured in one of the systems)

The rest of the systems such as Wonderswan, MSX, watara supervision, etc can be bundled later to BigFlix 1.2 or offered as a separate download package. I completed both the first and fourth platform views and fixed the spacing issues as well so a new video teaser will be uploaded to showcase the new changes and hopefully the theme will be released tomorrow or on Sunday.

Thanks for your hard work Klop and to everyone for their feedback and support

I'll deviate from my planning and give those banners priority for your release.  I was working on Saturn US, but the logo that I found vectorized was a cheap trace and not the proper logo so I had to rework it. do you have a preference for the saturn background ? 

*edit* 

Btw, Is BB able to alternate between banners ? if you add to banners to the system, will it sometimes show one and then the other ? 

Edited by Klopjero

@Klopjero I quite like your taste in background selection so it's up to you, if it was me i'd go with something like Nights into dreams, Panzer Dragoon Saga or Virtua Fighter but it's up to your preference klop

Thank you for prioritizing the requested banners and I look forward to your release!

I made a couple of banners earlier when I started working on BigFlix but discarded most of them in favor of your banners, However I like the PS2 and GBC designs so can you re-edit them to include the Bigflix and console logos?

Playstation 2

PS2a.thumb.png.805a30fac4ce516bdbaf6e27ee7e26ff.pngUgyulZA.thumb.jpg.e76ca6d969e5908678f9d4ce28152bc5.jpg

Gameboy Color

5a86d6f91523d_Gameboycolor2.thumb.png.4fdfb07fc5ab8b44d9f2d25b41dbd98e.png4m1qEia.thumb.jpg.63d146150b9405c8876d719daf85d9ed.jpg

Bonus:

Amiga

another-world-2011-10-10-18-54-08-29_jpg.jpg.9a9d1d2c5f9109c3c6db85e8665f56ca.thumb.jpg.b2f924977ab60cb5777c8fc2b3c1c81e.jpg

Sony Playstation JP

hUGmhD2.thumb.jpg.2201783654fc5177f58075d046bf5d08.jpg

Sony PSP (just a sample, can be replaced with any other GOW related images)

RnltAIy.thumb.jpg.0253a8070d465f81b6549c9eb73b9801.jpg

As for the Sega Saturn US Logo I have several variations of them so hopefully they might be of some use to you:

5a86d52b1659e_SegaSaturn01.thumb.png.f3cc886f95405c4b92acb6f7bf958138.png5a86d5d00d0e7_SegaSaturn02.thumb.png.28bda49b73008513f418e6ad3070f189.png5a86d675224ec_SegaSaturn03.thumb.png.11af35b4ffdc83831df89afa168fed8e.png5a86d6f134169_SegaSaturn.thumb.png.1dd82518b2adadcc7ce52a2ae96a9622.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klopjero said:

I'll deviate from my planning and give those banners priority for your release.  I was working on Saturn US, but the logo that I found vectorized was a cheap trace and not the proper logo so I had to rework it. do you have a preference for the saturn background ? 

*edit* 

Btw, Is BB able to alternate between banners ? if you add to banners to the system, will it sometimes show one and then the other ? 

I believe it might be doable via coding or tinkering with the custom plugins as I have seen some themes such as Retrorama using fallback element to retrieve a default banner incase the selected platform banner is missing but i'm not sure if BB can alternate between various banners of the same selected platform. What do you have in mind Klop? Perhaps @CriticalCid or @eatkinola can provide a better answer to your inquiry 

4 minutes ago, SNAK3ATER said:

I believe it might be doable via coding or tinkering with the custom plugins as I have seen some themes such as Retrorama using fallback element to retrieve a default banner incase the selected platform banner is missing but i'm not sure if BB can alternate between various banners of the same selected platform. What do you have in mind Klop? Perhaps @CriticalCid or @eatkinola can provide a better answer to your inquiry 

Nothing in particular, just curious. and considdering your request for the rework on some of the banners. if it was possible to use more then one banner, then you could have some alternatives. so in this particular case you'd have golden eye and Shadows of the empire.

5 minutes ago, Klopjero said:

Nothing in particular, just curious. and considdering your request for the rework on some of the banners. if it was possible to use more then one banner, then you could have some alternatives. so in this particular case you'd have golden eye and Shadows of the empire.

If it's as simple as adding a couple of lines then I can squeeze them to be included in this update otherwise I can look into adding the feature for BigFlix 1.2

Let's wait for Cid or Kinola's feedback before looking into the matter 

• Like 1

If you use the default elements to display the banners than Big Box should automatically cycle through all the images you have in the banner folder of a platform.

Code for platforms views:

<transitions:TransitionPresenter TransitionSelector="{Binding ImageTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding ImageView}" />

Code for games views:

<Image Source="{Binding Path=ActiveGame.BannerImagePath}" />

The only thing that won’t work is to have the banners cycle automatically in the wheels because Big Box uses an image cache for these.

Of course you can load a new batch of random images for the wheel when you force "refresh the Platform Wheel Images" in the Big Box options but I don't think it's possible to do that without completely re-caching the wheel images everytime you want to alternate between them.

• Like 2

Here is a final look into BIGFLIX PLUS 1.1 that is set for release tomorrow or Sunday at the latest, the teaser showcases the amazing platform banners by @Klopjero while also giving a preview of the newly redesigned platform view 1 and the all new platform view 4:

Since there is two days left before the theme goes live i'm open for any quick fixes and/or feedback if you spotted any in the video teaser above, thanks to everyone for your contribution and I hope you enjoy the updated theme as much as I enjoyed working on it

• Like 1

Your theme is looking great @SNAK3ATER some really good touches in those views. In the TextFiltersView what is getting used for the platform images that are getting cut off. Maybe @Klopjero could use the awesome artwork he has for the platform wheel images and adjust it to fit that area if that makes sense.

With the wheel logos is there any chance @Klopjero you could try one without the glow around the logo but instead a big thick white stroke around instead just to see how it looks.

Great work on this both of you, really looking forwards to to release.