LaunchBox Community Forums

What is rocket launcher? Should I be using it?

mothergoose729

I would also say RL will allow you to more easily switch between Front Ends. When I moved to LB/BB I didn't have to setup any emulators at all they already were. Only had to add games and download artwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether or not you want to use RocketLauncher will come down to what you personally want out of a front end. It does offer some extra advanced functionality such as bezel support for all emulators, unified controller mappings for all emulators, fade screens when loading games, pause screens that can show extra game info and other things that more experienced and expert users of RL can tell you about.

Personally though I do not use RL and I will never use it because it really adds an extra layer of complexity that I just do not need in my setup. For me the stuff that it adds that Launchbox does not offer on its own are purely cosmetic but that is just for me and my setup.

One fault I have with RocketLauncher is that it relies on "modules" to function with the emulators you use and if you are using an emulator that has no module it won't function properly. Though this is generally not too much of an issue unless there is a new emulator that comes out, then you will have to wait for a module to get made for it.

My idea with the pause is to access walk throughs or maps and such. But I've added so much stuff that for example pause takes 5 minutes to load for SNES on my system.

For any emu that doesn't have a module yet you can just launch it with LaunchBox like you would be doing anyway.

As to the layer of complexity yes it does add that but I'm always trying to get my cab to do something it couldn't before. It's complex AF already but half the fun Is making it work. If you want playability I'd suggest sticking the original consoles.

I don't think RL adds anything substantial for the time it takes to set up, but that's personal preference. It really does add an extra layer where things can, and do, break more often.

Don't know what you mean about "break more often" once setup you can forget it. Essentially one setting to change to make it work when changing from HS to LB. and I've not touched it since except to add CEMU and Citra, and a ton of RetroHumanoid's media. But I'd probably abandon it eventually if LaunchBox added fade and bezel support as that's all I really want from it anymore.

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

But I've added so much stuff that for example pause takes 5 minutes to load for SNES on my system.

5 minutes to load a pause screen ? lol.

38 minutes ago, Nigel said:

As to the layer of complexity yes it does add that but I'm always trying to get my cab to do something it couldn't before.

If you enjoy the tinkering more than playing that's fine.

38 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It's complex AF already but half the fun Is making it work. If you want playability I'd suggest sticking the original consoles.

Launchbox on its own is a perfect balance of relative ease of setup and playability. I would rather play my games through emulation than muck about getting my consoles RGB modded and the added expense of a Framemeister just to play them on a modern TV and have them look halfway decent.

I always hear about people spending more time setting up than playing. Well I am done setting things up, I now spend my time actually playing and helping people new to emulation through problems to get them playing. Sure, sometimes I might tinker with a new emulator when it comes along but at least I don't have to worry about an out of date module when a new emulator comes out. And anytime I wish to add or remove a game from my collection I don't have to worry about generating a new .xml file for my games list. 

• Like 2

[quote post="247135" timestamp="1497716921" name="lordmonkus" userid="67091"And anytime I wish to add or remove a game from my collection I don't have to worry about generating a new .xml file for my games list. 

To be clear generating new .xml files is a hyperspin thing, not a RocketLauncher thing. Because LaunchBox creates and manages it's own XML Hyperspin does not.

Ok just so you know let me tell you what extra I have to do to get a game to work. And what I don't have to do. Assuming you have a properly setup RocketLauncher.

At the point where you select you emulator I select RocketLauncher. I don't have to worry about command lines or retroarch core settings or anything like that. It's already been done for me. Once added to LB you open RLui bang the system will be there and you just have to tell it which emulator to use and where the roms are. If the emulator isn't already setup I can tell you adding an emulator to RocketLauncher is easier than LaunchBox due to the modules so no setup. If it's an obscure emulator you can easily set it up in launchbox. But the only one I've ever done that with is a C-64 emulator that wasn't in RocketLauncher that I don't use anymore anyway. And if you have downloaded a collection of bezels and fades that will likely just work. Also I don't delay the start of my games to display a fade only to take up the short time it takes to load the emulator. It just looks better. And some do take a few seconds.

It is indeed. I've invested many late nights watching Simply Austin videos to understand it. But most of that was hyperspin issues as I remember it. It's not that hard. You need to get to know your way around the media directories to know where to put the bells and whistles. But the guys original question is should he use it? I'd say if you are building a cabinet as a showpiece and want those bells and whistles, RocketLauncher can't hurt it only takes room and can be used or not used as needed. If you are a gamer who finds yourself in LaunchBox much often than BigBox because it's easier to get to your games and you don't really care too much about cinematic videos and such, I wouldn't bother with RocketLauncher.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

you don't really care too much about cinematic videos and such,

And BigBox doesn't need RocketLauncher to do this.

If you NEED bezels across every system, if you NEED loading screens, if you NEED pause screens then RocketLauncher is what you need. If you don't NEED those things in your setup then RL is a waste of time to learn how to use.

The only person that can answer the OPs question is himself. Only he can decide if it is or isn't worth the extra effort for a few cosmetic features.

I am not telling anyone they should or shouldn't use it. I am only making sure that people understand that there is a lot of extra effort involved if they have never used or even looked at it before. It would be very disingenuous to pretend it is not a lot of extra work and is easy to setup because it is not. 

Yeah, if you have it already setup and ready to go it's a no brainer to stick with it. Just keep in mind that the vast majority of Launchbox users are here because of just how complicated Hyperspin with RocketLauncher (mostly RocketLauncher) can be. There is a reason that right after I finally learned how to get HS / RL working I ditched that shit like a bad habit in an instant because Launchbox was so much simpler without it.

• Like 1

Exactly, I'm saying if you enjoy those videos that BigBox has over LaunchBox then maybe RocketLauncher is right up your alley. You've challenged me a bit. I may make a video on how to setup and and use RocketLauncher with LaunchBox as Simply Austin has never created one. And I've never seen one.

• Like 2

This has been a great discussion about the pros and cons of RL. Really awesome, thanks guys. 

I tried RL the other day, and I saw that a module for retroarch 1.60 doesn't exist yet. The most recent one I could find was support for RA 1.36. I played around with it some, and I couldn't get anything to work on my first try. I might try again later. 

Right now it is only the loading screens that really interest me. CD based emulators in particular take a while to startup, so something playing the foreground in the meantime would really help polish that experience. I am not interested in the pause menu's right now and I prefer black bars to bezels for my games, because I find bezels distracting. 

RL's reliance on modules is the thing turning me off the most right now. I rather like the big box presentation as is, although it could be a bit better. If LB adds support for loading screens like in RL I don't think I would have enough reason to pick it up. 

Edited by mothergoose729

41 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I may make a video on how to setup and and use RocketLauncher with LaunchBox

A tutorial video on how to setup RocketLauncher on its own along with Launchbox would be very beneficial for the people who would like to use it. I'm not sure if one exists or not.

33 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

CD based emulators in particular take a while to startup

They really shouldn't take that long unless you have your disk images compressed and they need to uncompress first. I don't have mine compressed so they load rather quickly.

34 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

because I find bezels distracting

Same here. I have tried them in the past and while they look very nice in videos and screen shots they just end up distracting me during actual gameplay. This is purely a personal thing though obviously.

35 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

If LB adds support for loading screens like in RL I don't think I would have enough reason to pick it up

Things like this and pause menus for things like manuals and guides are on the list of things to be implemented eventually but have sort have taken a bit of a backseat because RocketLauncher already provides that stuff.

4 hours ago, mothergoose729 said:

This has been a great discussion about the pros and cons of RL. Really awesome, thanks guys. 

I tried RL the other day, and I saw that a module for retroarch 1.60 doesn't exist yet. The most recent one I could find was support for RA 1.36. I played around with it some, and I couldn't get anything to work on my first try. I might try again later. 

Right now it is only the loading screens that really interest me. CD based emulators in particular take a while to startup, so something playing the foreground in the meantime would really help polish that experience. I am not interested in the pause menu's right now and I prefer black bars to bezels for my games, because I find bezels distracting. 

RL's reliance on modules is the thing turning me off the most right now. I rather like the big box presentation as is, although it could be a bit better. If LB adds support for loading screens like in RL I don't think I would have enough reason to pick it up. 

You may need to change some of the configuration-settings for some of the emulators within the rocketlauncher ui, but I have the same module (1.36) and everything seems to be working fine here with retroarch 1.60. However, I haven't (yet) tried any of the newly added systems like vice, dolphin, etc.

Edited by bundangdon

20 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

You may need to change some of the configuration-settings for some of the emulators within the rocketlauncher ui, but I have the same module (1.36) and everything seems to be working fine here with retroarch 1.60. However, I haven't (yet) tried any of the newly added systems like vice, dolphin, etc.

That is good to know. I was under the impression that you needed a new module for every release of the emulator. 

I will definitely give it another try at some point. There is obviously value in RL and a lot of cool features, I just need to take the time to learn them. 

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Exactly, I'm saying if you enjoy those videos that BigBox has over LaunchBox then maybe RocketLauncher is right up your alley. You've challenged me a bit. I may make a video on how to setup and and use RocketLauncher with LaunchBox as Simply Austin has never created one. And I've never seen one.

I would personally find something like that very helpful. All the videos online talk about hyper spin, and it is difficult to tell where RL begins and the front end HS ends. 

10 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

That is good to know. I was under the impression that you needed a new module for every release of the emulator. 

I will definitely give it another try at some point. There is obviously value in RL and a lot of cool features, I just need to take the time to learn them. 

Another quick update. I just added the dolphin core information to the retroarch module, which took about 30 seconds and it's working fine within rocketlauncher :)