LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Not Launching

Just Charlie

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my HTPC and I have installed the latest version of Launchbox and put my license file in the same folder. Unlike on my previous install, Launchbox is installed to the D: partition which is just for emulation, if that makes a difference.

When I try to open Launchbox, the mouse cursor looks like it's thinking for 2-3 seconds and then goes back to normal, and nothing opens. I noticed this after I reboot - Launchbox opens after it's installed. So I can reinstall Launchbox in the same location, but when I reboot, it will not work again.

Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!

My first guess is that you are probably missing one of the dependency libraries. A little while back @ETAPRIME did a video and he has a Mega link to download the necessary dependencies. Here is the link. https://mega.nz/#!Q8UVXLRT!LVjgSIkpu826al7QhV32JtOg_jBUTE726RYXX_hqi7U

Being installed to D:\ drive doesn't matter at all, I have mine installed on H:\ drive.

23 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

My first guess is that you are probably missing one of the dependency libraries. A little while back @ETAPRIME did a video and he has a Mega link to download the necessary dependencies. Here is the link. https://mega.nz/#!Q8UVXLRT!LVjgSIkpu826al7QhV32JtOg_jBUTE726RYXX_hqi7U

Being installed to D:\ drive doesn't matter at all, I have mine installed on H:\ drive.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that and it still does the same thing. DirectX installed but the .NET framework was already up to date :/

Anything else I can try? Right now I am down to installing Launchbox every time I reboot my computer.

Are you trying to launch Launchbox from a shortcut? Does it launch ok if you just browse file explorer to where you have your launchbox.exe and double click it? If not, try right clicking Launchbox.exe and selecting Properties and see if there is an Unblock button in that properties window. 

If Launchbox itself isn't loading outside of required library dependencies I really don't know what to tell you.

But if you do have Launchbox at least loading and your games imported but not launching any games then I can probably help out but I will need more details like emulator being used and some screenshots of your emulator settings windows in Launchbox.

36 minutes ago, UgaTEC said:

I have the same issue, i'm trying to do a video review of Launchbox (Thanks Kirsten for the Key) but i can't make it work.

The library are installed, the emulators works offside of launchbox but it doesn't work :-(

did you already try what i suggested?

4 minutes ago, UgaTEC said:

Yes, but doesn't work.

What does the Windows Application Event log show when you try to launch it? It may have some clue. Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer.  Expand Windows Logs and click Application

33 minutes ago, ckp said:

Also, is it possible that either of your anti virus type software is blocking Launchbox from running? Maybe try disabling them and try it as a test?

I try with the Event log and disabling the antivirus software but i have the same issue.

I will make a test from a Windows 7 machine.

29 minutes ago, UgaTEC said:

I try with the Event log and disabling the antivirus software but i have the same issue.

I will make a test from a Windows 7 machine.

So there is nothing at all in the Application log in the event viewer?

21 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

If I remember correctly you need the 2015 runtime library, but I won't swear 100% that is correct.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

I installed this, it did not fix the problem.

7 hours ago, ckp said:

Also, is it possible that either of your anti virus type software is blocking Launchbox from running? Maybe try disabling them and try it as a test?

I don't have any anti-virus software installed, I literally reinstalled Windows 10 Pro about a week ago. There is almost nothing installed except for Steam and Launchbox.

14 hours ago, ckp said:

Are you trying to launch Launchbox from a shortcut? Does it launch ok if you just browse file explorer to where you have your launchbox.exe and double click it? If not, try right clicking Launchbox.exe and selecting Properties and see if there is an Unblock button in that properties window. 

For me Launchbox neither launches through a shortcut nor through browsing to the actual exe file. I right clicked Launchbox.exe and there is no Unlock option.

8 hours ago, ckp said:

What does the Windows Application Event log show when you try to launch it? It may have some clue. Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer.  Expand Windows Logs and click Application

Here is what the event log says:

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 7.10.0.0, time stamp: 0x592863b4
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ffb04e0b2a1
Faulting process id: 0x1960
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2ea4c0247e40d
Faulting application path: D:\Launchbox\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 57f22908-dca0-4585-9a23-ffd7ca5a669f
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

If I go to Details, it says this:

LaunchBox.exe

592863b4

unknown

c0000005

00007ffb04e0b2a1

01d2ea4c0247e40d

D:\Launchbox\LaunchBox.exe

unknown

57f22908-dca0-4585-9a23-ffd7ca5a669f

4 hours ago, Belgarath said:

http://www.errorlive.com/exception-code-0xc0000005

Apparently a common problem, number one reason is virus/malware infection but there's other possibilities as well. Hope it helps.

Thanks for sharing this! I went through the page and followed the instructions:

• I only have Windows Defender installed for anti-virus, it is up to date and does not detect anything wrong
  • Drivers on the computer are up to date (it is an Alienware Alpha with 16gb of RAM, i3 processor and 860M GPU)
  • I completed the Windows file integrity scan, it did not find any "integrity violations"
  • I tried disabling Data Execution Protection as the page suggested but it wouldn't let me do this for Launchbox (it said Launchbox requires this)

I am pretty much at the point where I am willing to reinstall Windows to fix this, after trying so many things unsuccessfully.

Well, this is a major bummer guys.  It's definitely not the norm as most systems have no issues running LB.

Just as a test, maybe try installing LB to a different drive, like C.. Don't just copy your existing files, but use the LB installer, and download the installer file first just to be sure everything is good.

• Like 1