LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch or Emulators

THRobinson

33 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

They're in the downloads section when you're ready.

Gotta ask... where?

At the top, I click Download, I go to a page and I see where I got Launchbox, bottom is a Kodi plugin... was expecting a link to Themes where I can browse screen shots or something but, nope.... clicked BigBox at the top/right, screen shots but no download links or page to view themes.

Is it in LaunchBox? Not at home so, can't check... was hoping to browse online. Job has some long moments of downtime. 

Hoping a quick question... got RetroArch installed, and the 2 test files for MAME finally working.

Trying to remap keys and not much luck with the PS3 controller. MAME starts, I hit TAB and the config screen shows, I go to a mapped button and click ESC to clear it and it escapes because RetroArch I guess has ESC as the default to exit the app.

How do I config MAME? with individual emulators, this wasn't an issue.

Edited by THRobinson

That is a tricky one because of the double duty nature of the Escape key in Mame and Retroarch. Instead of trying to clear a binding out with Escape try rebinding the control several times to the control you want it as. I believe it will eventually clear itself out and just have the one bind, the one you want it to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordmonkus said:

That is a tricky one because of the double duty nature of the Escape key in Mame and Retroarch. Instead of trying to clear a binding out with Escape try rebinding the control several times to the control you want it as. I believe it will eventually clear itself out and just have the one bind, the one you want it to be.

Yup... about 8x I think and finally clears itself out. :)

• Like 1

Tbh you're probably better with standalone MAME rather than using RA. Unless its been improved alot in the last 2 weeks anyway. I initially wanted to use RA for MAME but it proved problematic. Some games wouldn't work on the latest core and needed one of the older ones so you needed to juggle about which roms were added to which, annoying but not a huge problem. Then at least for me none but the latest core would remember things like CPS3 games having been previously run so they wanted to install from the "CD" every time or others would run first boot diagnostics each time. Then at least for me I found in some games the audio was messed up in the latest core. The intro to X-men for example sounded way worse than in standalone mame. So I just moved over to standalone and it seems much more reliable. None of the compatibility issues, every game that should work has done and no problems with it remembering that it has installed or ran diagnostics previously. Also the sound was fine.

Edited by spectral

Yeah i have recently switched to mame retroarch, and have had no issues with it. It's currently on version 0.186 which is the current version, my romset is also 0.186 so everything i have tried so far works just fine. You also get the shader and bezel benefits of retroarch.

I was going to use individual emulators, but this weekend is RetroArch test weekend.

It's ok, though some stuff is hard to figure out. Looks good but not ya, some navigation and finding stuff issues.

Trying now to figure out how to setup the controller, plus although I can launch MAME in retroarch, when I scan the files like I did for NES and SNES (small batch of test files) they show at the top with icons for each system, MAME does not. Not overly important since will use LaunchBox or HS but odd. Plus when I click select+start to exit the MAME game, instead of exiting fully I seem to go to the MAME screen with the list of games and config options.

Guess still fiddling with it again today after I get some freelance work done.

20 minutes ago, THRobinson said:

Trying now to figure out how to setup the controller, plus although I can launch MAME in retroarch, when I scan the files like I did for NES and SNES (small batch of test files) they show at the top with icons for each system, MAME does not. Not overly important since will use LaunchBox or HS but odd. Plus when I click select+start to exit the MAME game, instead of exiting fully I seem to go to the MAME screen with the list of games and config options.

Yeah retroarch has issues scanning for mame roms, you can go to load content in the main menu and navigate to a rom on your system and load it, that will then be in your retroarch history tab for quick access again. Yeah start and select wont work while in mame it will do as you described, so just bring up the retroarch gui with whatever combo you have set and just navigate to the quit retroarch option.

For the controller, just plug it in. As long as it's one of the more popular devices, it will work right away. We've talked about a lot of RA quirks a lot, so some searching the forums might help too. You don't need to use the RA scan feature at all. Since you're using LB, it's not needed. RetroArch might use a different quitting technique. You can set it in their settings options or use Controller Automation. MAME RA does have the MAME UI still intact by pressing Tab, so either that button combo in RA MAME opens their menu up, or the controller is misfiring buttons. I would be willing to guess the first part, in which case you can change that in the settings as well.

I have a PS3 controller for testing with right now plugged in and works, but not happy with some of the mapping and trying to exit the games which is why I was trying to remap for mame.

Also wanted to try RA for Mame because previously someone mentioned 720p upscaling.

You can re-bind you controller in retroarch just go to settings/input/input user 1 binds/ you can change specific buttons there or use the user1 bind all and it will run through all the buttons in order and you just press what button you want that on. You can also set hotkeys in that menu, so you could set a hotkey for the retroarch gui and quit the game from there. And here is my retroarch mame running at 720p.

RetroArch 06.25.2017 - 13.48.45.01.png

Seemed defaulted to the 720 on mine, which was good. I have a 1600x1200 4:3 monitor so, a nice 4:3 resolution looks great on it.

Just sorting out little things now, I think most of the learning curve basics are behind me. Next week, I need to buy some wood and start building a cabinet.

Ya... been watching some YouTube vids for it, and even in the vids the people complain about some of the navigation decisions. 

But if it works and has some extra options stand-alones don't have, then great. Basically use it for everything except I guess Demul so far.

I swear, I better play games every day for a year to make it all worth it given the hours spent sorting this stuff out, and I haven't even built anything yet! :D

Was testing HyperSpin yesterday all day as well, and wow... LaunchBox is way easier to deal with. HS, you download, install, download the update and overwrite, change a file, delete a file, download rocketlauncher, update it, tell it to use HS and HS to use RL... takes an hour to download and install and change before you even start the thing!

Upside to RetroArch I guess... once setup, you can switch between HS and LB and should just work.

Edited by THRobinson