LaunchBox Community Forums

How To Move Launchbox Cache To SSD (Tutorial)

Such an awesome guide and what little stuttering I had seems to be completely gone.  I knew Launchbox sometimes would freeze  this way obvious do to my drive i could hear it working hard when it happened. 

But I honestly didn't expect it to makes such a huge difference. It's smooth as butter now. 

I am also curious if other parts of LB would benifit from this? 

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

I am considering this option..... How much space does this take up on the SSD....  

From my experience the Cache size can vary from quite small to quite large depending on what size your library is and what quality you have your image settings in BigBox set to. Mine can jump from 40gb to 150gb depending on the quality settings, and bare in mind that every time you change the quality setting the cache has too be repopulated as far as I know.

7 minutes ago, Robin55 said:

From my experience the Cache size can vary from quite small to quite large depending on what size your library is and what quality you have your image settings in BigBox set to. Mine can jump from 40gb to 150gb depending on the quality settings, and bare in mind that every time you change the quality setting the cache has too be repopulated as far as I know.

I have LB and Emulators on a dedicated 1TB 7200 SATA III HDD with plenty of space to spare.  Big Box Freezes when going from Platforms to (Playlist or Platform Games).  lets see if this helps

Edited by NJDave71

11 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

I have LB and Emulators on a dedicated 1TB 7200 SATA III HDD with plenty of space to spare.  Big Box Freezes when going from Platforms to (Playlist or Platform Games).  lets see if this helps

Are you using playlists you downloaded elsewhere and not ones you have created yourself? If you have a playlist with many games that are missing it can cause BigBox to freeze for a few seconds while it works out what games you have in your system compared to what games are in the playlist. I would advise deleting the games you do not have from the playlist if you think this could be the problem.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Robin55 said:

Are you using playlists you downloaded elsewhere and not ones you have created yourself? If you have a playlist with many games that are missing it can cause BigBox to freeze for a few seconds while it works out what games you have in your system compared to what games are in the playlist. I would advise deleting the games you do not have from the playlist if you think this could be the problem.

I second that....it helps a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, Mr.Laor said:

Lately, it takes a very long time to make any changes in the edit menu. Sometimes up to a minute before I regain control of LB. Could I move all my data files to my SSD and make symbolic links? Would that speed things up?

I have the same issue

Bumping - Can someone with know-how just confirm or deny if this is possible and will it help?

I can figure out how to do it - if I get some confirmation.

Lately, it takes a very long time to make any changes in the edit menu. Sometimes up to a minute before I regain control of LB. Could I move all my data files to my SSD and make symbolic links? Would that speed things up?

• Unusual Gem 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat. I already have launchbox on my HDD. My plan was to uninstall LB and reinstall it on my SSD then transfer all files to SSD, except for emulators and roms (keep them on HDD). Then I came across this tutorial. So, i don't know if this method replace the necessity to move LB to SSD or if this is something different. I appreciate any feedback and help! thank you!

@Mr.Laor Is it possible to do that, yes. The links for the cache file method can be used for other things like you are suggesting whether it is a cache file or an XML file.  So basically you do for the data folder what is suggested for the image cache folder.  Will it speed things up for the edit menu issue you are experiencing...my guess is likely not to level to correct the significant delay you are seeing. I have used this tool in the thread for my cache on the SSD and does improve responsiveness of scrolling and image generation but you still have the overhead of LB program, so not just tied to write/read speed of SSD.  During the beta 11 phase I was having the sluggish edit window (not near as bad as you mention, a few seconds) but went away on subsequent later betas. Although I now experience significantly more crashing of LB in 11.2 then 10.5.  I had actually removed the symbolic links at one point thinking it might be causing a problem (it wasn't).  In the end, easy enough to give it a try with with backup of your LB data folder first.  But don't think you will see an improvement to the level you are hoping simply with the data files housed on the SSD.

@Fredyyy Depends on what you are trying to achieve and where seeing performance choke point. I just wanted boost to scrolling performance and with the cache of images that fits the bill with how setup in the original post.  If you have tons of space on your SSD then that is easier then the symbolic link and you get overall program benefit of SSD performance.  Some quick testing on my setups though didn't indicate it was worth eating up SSD space (other than cache) and I preferred keeping my "game drive" completely independent of C: drive where possible (~20,000 game setup).  Plus, even with the emulators and ROMs on another drive your images and videos for LB are now on your SSD (not just the cache files). Those can grow be pretty big (~ 0.5 TB on my setup).  So my take is try it with the cache on SSD and see if that is suitable for needs. It is quicker/easier to setup and if change mind easy enough to remove the symbolic link and go with full SSD install.