LaunchBox Community Forums

Your List of Small Things

Lordmonkus

30 minutes ago, ZeroX9876 said:

Sub-Menu for platforms is all I ever wanted since I first started building my Hyperspin setup in 2011. I mainly changed from HS to LB because new features are on the way, so I'm still hoping this feature makes it :)

Are you talking about being able to call up a platform specific playlist/filter within the platform you are in?  I put up a bit bucket request back when it was still called filters, to have a little menu overlay slide over the top on one side of the screen and show you all the filters you had made that are specific to that platform.  Then when you would select one you'd go right to that list and then when done you could go back to the parent platform.  Most useful for arcade platform but also might be nice to be able to call up the "top 25, 50, 100", or certain franchises that you'd like to see specific to the platform your in.  

It can get old always having to go to the playlist category and scroll through all your playlists when you just want to see which ones you want from the platform you were in.  Still keep the playlist category to be able to find lists that's span multiple platforms, but just add a little feature for a sub-menu within your current platform.

Exactly this:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/534/option-to-create-custom-submenus-and

This is the highest voted "Issue/Enhancement" there is on bitbucket right now and has been since a long time. At first, the nested filters sounded like it would be exactly this, but in the end it was something totally different (still very nice feature though!).

Next poll, I really hope it gets there. Please @Jason Carr consider it for one of the entries! :) I'm very happy with the product I've bought and looking forward to the next update.

• Like 1

Current thought: it would be really nice for metadata tags (like different Genres) could have their own metadata and be sorted into Platform Categories as if they were playlists. Kind of a bother to have to create a playlist for a genre if I want that genre to have a description and artwork...

On 11/1/2017 at 9:36 PM, ZeroX9876 said:

Sub-Menu for platforms is all I ever wanted since I first started building my Hyperspin setup in 2011. I mainly changed from HS to LB because new features are on the way, so I'm still hoping this feature makes it :)

Just asking, what would you use a sub menu in Platforms for?  For things like USA Rom Set, European Rom Set, or Demo Discs...things like that? Just curious as to what problem it would solve.

I don't know if my problem is similar to yours....I already had a 250 game platform setup for Sega Dreamcast. I got hold of a bunch of demo disc images and was thinking of starting a new platform for them called "Sega Dreamcast (Demo Discs)". Then I changed my mind because I already have 80 platforms and I would have to fiddle around with the media paths etc, so for a quiet life I just mashed them all into the existing platform. Deep down, I kind of didn't really want to do that though. I dunno. Is that the kind of problem sub menus would solve?

On 04/11/2017 at 8:45 PM, JamesBond@ge said:

Just asking, what would you use a sub menu in Platforms for?  For things like USA Rom Set, European Rom Set, or Demo Discs...things like that? Just curious as to what problem it would solve.

Exactly this!

Let's give a quick example:

I have all of my SNES roms in one single folder, regardless if it was a translation, USA, EUR, etc.

I want a SNES list based on USA titles, One as Japanese rom set, a translation rom set, hacks section. Those list needs to share the same artwork (Video, Box, Cart, etc.) so there's no duplicate image in LB.

I've started doing sym-link folders of different rom set and let LB scans those folders as seperate platforms, but I would love to get all the SNES list in one sub menu, so whenever I choose SNES in BB I don;t have to deal with playlist or such:

1. Super Nintendo Entertainment System

a.USA

b. JAPAN

c. Translation

d. Hacks

Instead of what I have right now:

Super Nintendo Entertainment - USA

Super Nintendo Entertainment - JAPAN

Super Nintendo Entertainment - TRANSLATED

Super Nintendo Entertainment - HACKS

Super Nintendo Entertainment - COMPLETE <<< This list would be all roms from all regions with the translated versions overwriting the original language versions and adding the JAPAN and EUROPE exclusive that are not in the USA Romset.

If I was able to do this, my setup would finally be complete and done! I'm hoping 2018 brings us something close to this (I don't think this feature will make it for 2017)

• Like 1

One workaround albeit a tad messy and not perfect is to create custom "Categories" and put individual "Platforms" in there. Using the example above from@ZeroX9876 it would something like this:

Category - Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Platforms in this category would be:
           A. USA
           B. Japan
           C. Translations
           D. Hacks

Of course for this you would have to add those extra platform names to your emulators Associated Platforms. I know this isn't ideal and how anyone wants this done, neither do I and I will keep pushing @Jason Carr for a better sub platform / playlist system.

• Like 1

@Lordmonkus

ok, we want the exact same thing and that's good :)

I'll look into what you mentioned as a workaround when I'm back from work! I got a dual setup of both hyperspin and LB, but having it with Sym-link like I did is A LOT of manual work. I only kept my Hyperspin setup mainly because I intend to give my setup to some of my friends for Christmas and since BB isn't free, I'll have to give them Hyperspin (PS.With a video teaser of my BB launching to make them buy it afterwards ;) )

I'll be sure to vote for this upcoming feature in the next poll!

• Like 1

I'd like to propose two simple fixes to the current setup that would help with these issues. 

#1).  Allow platforms and playlists to be in a Platform Category without showing up in the main platform list.  Therefore, as suggested above, you could have "Super Nintendo - Japan" organized in a Platform Category like "Super Nintendo" but not muck up the main platform list.  Also, you could organize your playlists in Platform Categories (like favorites, game series, genre lists, etc.) without those playlists showing up in the platform list. 

#2).  Allow platforms and playlists to be in more than 1 platform category.  So "Nintendo Gameboy" can show up in "Nintendo" and "Handheld" categories.  Also, a Mario playlist could be listed in the "Nintendo" and "Game Series" category. 

These wouldn't solve every issue mentioned above but would go a long way to allow flexibility in organizing platforms and playlists and is a relatively simple fix.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 4:19 PM, bundangdon said:

I've seen a lot of great ideas from other users here and I would just like to share a few of mine that I've been thinking about for a while :)

1. The option to allow the selected title in the basic vertical rom list (BigBox) stay centered (instead of scrolling all the way down or up)

2. The ability to use custom box images (in bulk) for various platforms/systems when there are no images available. (instead of using the generic 'rubik's cube' bigbox image that appears in its place). I've mentioned this idea a few times before and it got a lot of positive feedback from other users.

Still waiting for these to happen :) actually number 2 is already possible but only with a manual one-by-one method. However number 1 is my most anticipated feature/fix. Would love to keep the games text-list centered just like it does with the wheels/logos :)

Because the auto generated lists are based off of certain tags such as platform or genre. If you want to manually control a list make a playlist manually.

One tip as well is to auto generate a playlist and then in that generated playlist, then select all the games and right click and add them to a manual playlist.

• Like 1