Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
stevaside

NON-WORKING MAME ROMS

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

More a MAME problem then LB specifically I suppose, but..I downloaded a .185 set that was on archive.org, kept the 600 or so games I had last from my old set..tested them all to see if they played & turns out over a whopping 100 of them don't work.  I believe some might be a matter of me needing bios files, espec since TONS of Street Fighter/ 1-on-1 Fighting games from Capcom won't start up..but if anyone can shed some light on things for me I'd really appreciate it...Super frustrating having THIS many games not able to play

Here they are, after I press play game, nothing happens, right back to the menu:

1944
19xx
Afterburner
AVP
Arkanoid
Arkanoid:Revenge Of Doh
Astrochase
Birdie King 3
Blasteroids
Bump & Jump
Bust A Move Again
Chelnov
Cliffhanger 
Colums 97
Continental Circus
Cruisin USA
Cruisin World
Cube Quest
Dark Stalkers
Die Hard 
Discs Of Tron
Domino Man
Elevator Action
Empire City
Espial
Extermination
Frontline
Gauntlet Dark Legacy 
Ghosts & Goblins
Gorf
Gradius
Hatris
Hyper Athletics
Hyper Sports Special
Indiana Jones
Journey
Judge Dred
Kickman
Killier Instinct
Mach 3
Marvel Superheroes
Marvel vs Street Fighter
Marvel vs Capcom
Mortal Kombat 4
Nagano Winter Olympics
Nastar Warrior
NBA Jam Extreme
Ninja
Peter Packrat
Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory
Pretty Sailor Moon
Pooyan
Primal Rage
Punisher
Puzzle Bobble 3
Puzzle Bobble 4
Qbert
Qbert Qubes
Raiden Fighters
Raiden Fighters Jet
Ray Crisis
Ray Storm
Red Hawk
Renegade
Ring King
Roadblasters
Roadrunner
Samurai Showdown
Samurai Showdown Special
Satan's Hollow
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Simpsons Bowling
Sly Spy
Solar Fox
Soul Edge
Splatterhouse
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX Plus
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus
Street Fighter II:Hyper Fighting
Super Puzzle Bobble
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II
Super Zola Pac Gal
Tapper
Tecmo Knight
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tekken
Tekken 2
Thunder & Lighting
Tiger Heli
Timber
Two Crude 
UFO Robo Dangar
Wargods
Wizard Of Wor
Xevious
Xevious 3DG
Xmen vs Street Fighter
Xmen:Children Of The Atom
Zookeeeper
Zwackery

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More often than not if you are having troubles with certain games not working in Mame it is a missing parent or bios file. It only becomes a Launchbox configuration issue if no games are loading at all.

But since you mentioned Capcom games like Street Fighter there was a change in Mame 186 where you need an updated Qsound.zip bios file. You didn't say which version of Mame you are using.

If you want to check what could be causing the issue of a game not loading you can audit the rom if using the UI version of Mame. If using the command line version open up a command window and go to your Mame folder and type in:

mame64.exe sf2

as an example, just replace sf2 to the name of the zip file for the rom you are having trouble with. If there is a problem it will tell you in the command prompt window what it is looking for and cannot find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

More often than not if you are having troubles with certain games not working in Mame it is a missing parent or bios file. It only becomes a Launchbox configuration issue if no games are loading at all.

But since you mentioned Capcom games like Street Fighter there was a change in Mame 186 where you need an updated Qsound.zip bios file. You didn't say which version of Mame you are using.

If you want to check what could be causing the issue of a game not loading you can audit the rom if using the UI version of Mame. If using the command line version open up a command window and go to your Mame folder and type in:

mame64.exe sf2

as an example, just replace sf2 to the name of the zip file for the rom you are having trouble with. If there is a problem it will tell you in the command prompt window what it is looking for and cannot find.

Using .185, same as the romset I mentioned

& it was MAME64 I'm pretty sure, so running an audit in that should tell me reasons for roms not working?

&was there just a folder to put bios files in & it would be a matter of me finding ones I need & placing them in there to get certain games to work? Sorry I used to know this stuff a LONG time ago, but bad memory haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah if using the UI version of Mame open it up and find the game you are having troubles with. Right click and there should be an "audit" option in the menu, click that and it should say if the rom is ok or if there is a problem with a missing file and what file it is expecting to find that file in.

Bios files for Mame go right in the folder with all your Mame roms.

I should ask though, did you download a full set or an update pack ?

If it was an update pack and you just copied them into your Mame roms folder then I got some bad news for you. Update packs only contain updated rom files within the actual rom zip file.

For example if you looked inside game.zip you would see a bunch of files such as

1.rom
2.rom
3.rom
4.rom

Then an update for game.zip came out with an updated 2.rom file they don't put all 4 .rom files in it with the new 2.rom. The update game.zip file would only contain the updated 2.zip. You would need to use a tool like clrmamepro to combine the update rom pack into your old rom set.

This is done for overall file size and bandwidth reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah if using the UI version of Mame open it up and find the game you are having troubles with. Right click and there should be an "audit" option in the menu, click that and it should say if the rom is ok or if there is a problem with a missing file and what file it is expecting to find that file in.

Bios files for Mame go right in the folder with all your Mame roms.

I should ask though, did you download a full set or an update pack ?

If it was an update pack and you just copied them into your Mame roms folder then I got some bad news for you. Update packs only contain updated rom files within the actual rom zip file.

For example if you looked inside game.zip you would see a bunch of files such as

1.rom
2.rom
3.rom
4.rom

Then an update for game.zip came out with an updated 2.rom file they don't put all 4 .rom files in it with the new 2.rom. The update game.zip file would only contain the updated 2.zip. You would need to use a tool like clrmamepro to combine the update rom pack into your old rom set.

This is done for overall file size and bandwidth reasons.

OK thanks I'll have to try auditing them when I have time

Positive it was a full set of roms, not updates...I deleted all my old roms too

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok if it was a full set that makes life easier.

Weird though if you are using both rom set and Mame version 185 and running into issues with games. I guess the next question is do you know if was a merged, non merged or split rom set ?

merged can be problematic with Launchbox due to how they are packaged up, non merged and split work best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see any option when right clicking in MAME64 to audit games....do I need MAMEUI64 for that? Trying to find a .185 version of that now, but keep seeing .187 only.....I never understood why MAME seems to get updated so freaking often either..I swear it feels like there's a new version & new roms to get every month or 2

Can't remember if it said merged or split either but will try to find out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you need the UI version to audit the roms, though I think there is a command line parameter to audit as well (not sure though).

And yeah Mame updates every month, this has been a thing for quite a while now.

You don't have to update though unless there is a new game added that you HAVE to play or there is a new feature that really is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Regular MAME64 in the built in UI there is a audit option. 1st launch MAME with no game loaded then go to  configure options and then go to miscellaneous there you will find an info auto audit option if you turn this on you can stop on games in the built in UI for MAME and it shows in the right side info pane if your game passes audit or not all my games do so I'm not sure what it would look like if it didn't but it at least is a start and MAME will give you a yes or no answer on whether or not a game is ready to go or not.

Edited by DOS76
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I understand correctly you grabbed a full MAME 185 romset and then reduced it to the games you want and discarded the rest.
From a quick glance it looks like you may have multiple issues.

A number of your listed games use the QSound device (qsound.zip) and maybe this is missing.

The game Astrochase uses the Max-A-Flex Bios (maxaflex.zip) and you may be missing this.

The game Afterburner doesn't use any Bios or Device, but it's a clone of Afterburner II, so maybe the parent is missing.

Killer Instinct uses a CHD so maybe this is missing, or else the parent is missing and you've kept a clone instead.

The game Birdie King 3 is a mystery as this game uses no Bios or Device and has no clones, so this should work ok.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, spycat said:

If I understand correctly you grabbed a full MAME 185 romset and then reduced it to the games you want and discarded the rest.
From a quick glance it looks like you may have multiple issues.

A number of your listed games use the QSound device (qsound.zip) and maybe this is missing.

The game Astrochase uses the Max-A-Flex Bios (maxaflex.zip) and you may be missing this.

The game Afterburner doesn't use any Bios or Device, but it's a clone of Afterburner II, so maybe the parent is missing.

Killer Instinct uses a CHD so maybe this is missing, or else the parent is missing and you've kept a clone instead.

The game Birdie King 3 is a mystery as this game uses no Bios or Device and has no clones, so this should work ok.

 

 

OK thx for the link, I installed MAMEUI64 (setting the audit option in MAME64 still didn't cause audit game to come up as a right click option)..and it is a confusing mess. It appears to list every emulated console & computer imaginable EXCEPT MAME/Arcade....If I open the interface up in full screen, it completely blocks the fucking game lists & there's no way to drag/resize the window...the only thing I managed to figure out was to go to avaliable, which shows EVERY MAME rom out there, and doing the only visible "audit" option scans EVERY single MAME rom in existence, the majority which I'm reminded are "not found" (NO SHIT!)

Still not getting anywhere

Also, going to try the qsound & some of the bios files that I know are missing....and yep a few are most likely CHD issues too..I have the CHDs for all games that need them, but they are OLD versions from couple years back

 

 

Edited by stevaside
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been struggling with this exact same issue for the past several hours.  I have a rom set that works just fine on the RP3 using RetroPie.  I've moved on to Windows and Bigbox, but could not get many games to load from the same rom set.  I had tried using MAME for Windows from the command line, no good.  I tried Retroarch for Windows, no love there either.  MameUI64 showed that I had missing files when I audited the roms (it varied from rom to rom).  I went back to RetroPie and looked over the configs and emulators it was using.  It turns out it I was using Advanced MAME instead.  I downloaded this onto my Windows machine and tried one of the roms that was failing everywhere else.  Low and behold, it worked without issue.  Now, I'm hunting for the reason why the rom will only work in Advanced MAME.

In Launchbox, I added a new emulator, pointed it to the advmame EXE and added the necessary arguments.  Bam, loads the game in Bigbox without issue.  **HINT** Use the "-misc_quiet" parameter to skip the copyright warning that advmame displays for using roms with emulators. B|  Here's a screenshot of what I setup.

ADVMAME.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the looks of it Advanced MAME does some things a little differently. Right off the bat I notice you have the "Use file name only" box checked, with the normal command line version of Mame and Retroarch that box check breaks it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@lordmonkus Yes, there are several ways you can run advmame and depending on how you have your LB and roms setup, will depend on how you use advmame.  In the example I showed above, I had my roms in the "rom" sub-folder of the advmame folder (i.e. C:\Users\Gamer\LaunchBox\Emulators\advancemame\rom) so nothing else is needed.  Advmame seems to use just the game name when launching the game, so the path thrown at it from LB seems to confuse things.  It looks to the advmame.rc file for its parameters, including the roms folder path.

Since most of us use LB to organize our games as well, the better thing to do is update the advmame.rc file to point to your Arcade roms folder.  In my case, I updated the line dir_rom rom to dir_rom C:\Users\Gamer\LaunchBox\Games\Arcade.  Now, I can launch the games from the default path I use in LB.  No more issues with the failing MAME games and I get to use them in BigBox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SwitchKat I`m no expert, but I believe the advance mame uses the romset from 0.106, refer to here https://retropie.org.uk/docs/MAME/ and here http://www.advancemame.it/download

Could it be its an old romset used on the retropie, but now you're trying to use it on a newer version of mame i.e. one using a 0.186 romset.  I guess the there are a lot of difference between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dita Thanks, that actually answers my question.  I didn't realize that the rom sets are not backward compatible.  I'll try something like CLRMame to see where my set is at and create some different versions.  I guess it pays to keep a tighter watch on all those files. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I've been away for a while, but turns out alot of the roms weren't working because they didn't have the bios files..I found a complete bios pack, threw it in folder & more than half of them began working....I can tell now that some are most likely due to missing the parent roms, so when I get time going to try to go through them again & see

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

go back to mame version 185 all those games work.. its what i had to do as those games stopped working when installed the latest version of mame 195b

Edited by K9zz66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...