LaunchBox Community Forums

Fully Loaded Hard Drives

Asparky

I see Upchuck and Shaw, are now moving away from Hyperspin and are going to Sell drives set up with Launchbox.

@Jason is there anything that can be done to stop this?

The reason, both parties have given, is the fact, the New Hyperspin release, will incorporate code to go to thier servers, to ensure the version running is Genuine,if not,it will block it.

• Like 1

I'm usually pretty Ron Swanson about these things and don't care what people choose to sell. If he's willing to put thousands of hours in and sell something that people are willing to buy, then good for him. 

This annoys me however because BigBox is not free. I paid for it so should everyone else. Now if Upchurch is including a license and he's paying Jason, then no issues (other than the legal ones selling roms). 

Ultimately I only care about the license fees because those are what fund development. If he sells 1k drives and that's 1k fewer licenses that Jason gets revenue from, then that's a problem. If he sells those same drives but Jason was paid, then I don't care because this doesn't affect me - if anything it benefits me bevause Jason is selling more and able to invest more back into development. 

45 minutes ago, heelsinc said:

How the fuck is Radio Shack still in business?

They went bankrupt in March and closed 95% of there stores May 31st, so they aren't in business anymore for the most part.  And the amount of times I was asked that by customers..lol, Environment was fun, corporate was awful they didn't tell my store we were closing until a week before we actually did, it was not a fun situation.

That sucks haha there's one literally within walking distance to my house that I never knew about which is odd cause I like in a town where there are only Mom and Pop shops besides a burger King shop rite and apparently radio shack

On 7/28/2017 at 5:22 PM, angelobodetti said:

I'm usually pretty Ron Swanson about these things and don't care what people choose to sell. If he's willing to put thousands of hours in and sell something that people are willing to buy, then good for him. 

This annoys me however because BigBox is not free. I paid for it so should everyone else. Now if Upchurch is including a license and he's paying Jason, then no issues (other than the legal ones selling roms). 

Ultimately I only care about the license fees because those are what fund development. If he sells 1k drives and that's 1k fewer licenses that Jason gets revenue from, then that's a problem. If he sells those same drives but Jason was paid, then I don't care because this doesn't affect me - if anything it benefits me bevause Jason is selling more and able to invest more back into development. 

Its a cool idea. I have put hundreds of hours into my setup. I would be happy to give people what I have at cost if anyone wanted it and I could do it legally. 

The issue of who owns what though is a whole can of worms. I get a lot of my media from emuMovies, and I am sure they would be pretty pissed if I resold that stuff to someone who doesn't have a subscription. I also get some of my movies from youtube, that I rip though my browser and then cut myself for game movies. Probably not legal to distribute anything like that at cost either.

Then of course there are the roms and the bios files which nobody is supposed to have but everyone needs. 

Edited by mothergoose729
  • Like 1

Hey Guys

This is officially the second time that I have been here. The first time I was told to leave etc. And hadn't been around since. But martin baker has since recently contacted me asking for money for his work. So I got curious as to why, and well after a brief search. This thread came up.

Let me again try and clear up a few things.

1. Please stop with the name calling, I completely understand the politics behind all this, I don't have any ill will against you guys. I would expect the same. Regardless of how you feel about certain things.

2. Originally when "everybody"  was "taken down" off Youtube. Not much changed. Sales probably slightly increased because technically, there were less sellers who were actually known and people went looking for actual drives. And although it was annoying losing a ton of videos, it was actually nice to have a break from doing them.

3. I am not switching to Launchbox, Hyperspin is and probably always will be where its at. Launchbox is a great product but its not my main focus, especially considering that hyperspin 2.0 is coming out.

4. Hyperspin 2.0. Since it is moving to a server type authentication process. Nothing is going to change.  I can ether just continue to move units without the sub and supply everything else, or just take on a few extra bucks, and include the licence. Which I am sort of in the works of doing. One of my admins (I have several admins, all whom help me with content), who codes, is speaking with them about doing some work for them, and the possibility might be there for me to actually just include their licence with the drive.

5. I can do the same with you, if you guys are willing to work with me, to hammer something out. It could be a nice money stream for you guys. Also if I am able to partner with both you guys, well it would literally kill off the other drive sellers. The next point below will outline why you should strongly consider it.

6. I don't offer junk, I have so many cool features on the drive, plus a unified control system now that works across all platforms. I have servers of my own which I pay a ton of money for, I am the only guy doing this that has a full fledged fully working update system. I have a team of admins helping me, I have support forums which people report problems too, the problems get fixed on my end, the updates are uploaded to the servers and the fixes are downloaded by my clients.  If you go to my website, the reviews at the bottom are completely real. Nobody else doing this has anything like this, and everybody using the system gets support. I'm actually quite proud of the system as it works. 

Anyways if this attempt of reasoning goes south and nobody actually wants to work with me. I understand. And I don't mind throwing martin a few bucks ether. 

Thanks for reading guys

Chris

Edited by wizshaw

You can justify it all you want but it doesn't change the fact that what you do is illegal, nothing to do with politics as you seem to want to call it.

I am quite sure Jason would never want anything to do with you and be associated with someone doing something so blatantly illegal as selling roms you do not have the legal rights to which would in turn get Jason into legal troubles. You may not give a fuck about breaking the laws but Jason does.

Ok then but emumovies sells logos they dont own. And this software accepts money and uses the same logos in their software. Its all the same. The grey area here indirectly is applied all across the spectrum. But like I said, im not here to throw stones. 

Anyways, consider what I said. Money talks. I can provide it if jason wants to work with me. 

Lol, you are laughable. I normally would never proclaim to speak for Jason as he doesn't need me to but in this case I am quite confident in stating he would never work with you.

You can call it "grey area" all you want but selling roms is not a legal grey area whatsoever, it is pure black and white illegal. You are the asshole that gives emulation a bad reputation so piss off.