LaunchBox Community Forums

I've put together a set of frontend video themes intended to be used with arcade genre-based playlists.  The genres correspond roughly to the "All Killer, No Filler" playlists compiled by BadMouth and the ArcadeControls forum community:

Spoiler
  • All Arcade
  • Beat 'Em Up
  • Boxing
  • Classics
  • Fighting
    • Fighting (2D)
    • Fighting (3D)
  • Platform
  • Puzzle
  • Racing
  • Run & Gun
  • Shoot 'Em Ups
    • Shooters (Horizontal)
    • Shooters (Vertical)
  • Sports
  • Wrestling

I designed the logos and edited the audio/video collages,  but much credit and many thanks are due to the EmuMovies community, HyperSpin community, and @CriticalCid for creating the game-specific video themes and capturing all the gameplay footage. The video files are hosted at EmuMovies and are available here.

Clear logos for these genre playlists are available here.

You can see a preview of the videos below on YouTube.

Edited by letstalkaboutdune
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

Nice work!  i'd personally rather have just straight gameplay videos instead of old hyperspin themes crammed in together.  Any chance on doing that as well?

Thanks. If all the games chosen had 4:3 aspect ratios (which would be nigh-impossible for genres like vertical shooters) then it would be straightforward to do. For now though, I will just be enjoying these themes as-is and continuing the rest of the work for my arcade cabinet build.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:58 PM, damageinc86 said:

Nice work!  i'd personally rather have just straight gameplay videos instead of old hyperspin themes crammed in together.  Any chance on doing that as well?

@damageinc86, here's a test version of 2D Fighting with gameplay footage only. What do you think?

Looks great!  Don't know if I like the constant pumping of logo like from hypertheme lol.  Don't know if it's my phone or not, but gameplay vids look super dark, and sound file seems noisy like old cassette tape. Again don't know if those are because I was watching on My phone or not.

5 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

Looks great!  Don't know if I like the constant pumping of logo like from hypertheme lol.  Don't know if it's my phone or not, but gameplay vids look super dark, and sound file seems noisy like old cassette tape. Again don't know if those are because I was watching on My phone or not.

You're tough to please! The gameplay vids are intentionally dimmed because otherwise it's super distracting visually, to the point of being unusable in my opinion.  I can verify that the sound isn't distorted, but it is from a 25-year-old arcade game so it's not exactly hi-fi. :P

Have to agree with Hank_98 about the video being too dark man, I think it would be great if the video started off bright and then faded and then the logo appeared on top? Just a suggestion...

These videos are awesome though I'd love to see ones for, Light gun games, Rhythm games, Flying Games, role playing games and Strategy games. I now these aren't all really arcade type games but they are Hyperspin Genres. I'd happly give 12 representative games for each one.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I think I'm going to stick to my original vision of the videos using the HyperSpin themes, where they dim after ~5 seconds to allow the genre logo to take focus. I'm glad you all are finding these useful!

10 hours ago, Levo_Stone said:

These videos are awesome though I'd love to see ones for, Light gun games, Rhythm games, Flying Games, role playing games and Strategy games. I now these aren't all really arcade type games but they are Hyperspin Genres. I'd happly give 12 representative games for each one.

Sure thing, post your list of representative games and we can take it from there. Please keep in mind that I'll need to make some new logos as well.

9 hours ago, Charco said:

Yeah these are great, I am using them for my arcade playlists now. I agree with the others about the latest video being a little too dark. Great concept though and I love that they use game music.

Thanks! I'm a huge music person, so having good tunes was key. I honestly get more excited to play by hearing the jams than seeing the videos. :D

• Like 1

Excellent letstalkaboutdune, will I just post a list or actually upload videos themselves?, By the way do you follow Comicbookgirl19 on youtube? She's made quite a name for herself and at the moment she is hosting an online book club covering the first three books of Dune?

Edited by Levo_Stone

19 minutes ago, Levo_Stone said:

Excellent letstalkaboutdune, will I just post a list or actually upload videos themselves?, By the way do you follow Comicbookgirl19 on youtube? She's made quite a name for herself and at the moment she is hosting an online book club covering the first three books of Dune?

Just posting the list here is perfect. I'll go and check if themes exist on EmuMovies, which they should if the games are popular, and then I'll work on the logos and videos. If themes don't exist then we'll need to pick some different games. 

I haven't heard of Comicbookgirl19 but I'm glad that the books are still getting some love!