LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Hatari Core (Atari ST) Crashing Issue

Dreamwarrior77

Steem works well enough once setup, I would suggest using an official build to get your feet wet with it and get it up and running. Amiga is also really well done using FS-UAE.

I like to use the stand alone emulators for older computers over the Retroarch cores for the simple reason of a RA using a virtual keyboard. It just seems to make RA clunky for these old computers since often you need to press a keyboard key such as F1 or 1 to start a 1 player game. This just seems to work much better in the stand alone emulators and they have game controller support as well.

The CD-i on the other hand just like the real system is an absolute mess so I just avoid it like the plague, just like I do for the real system.

Yes ok so I downloaded the 3.2 version and yes I got a game loaded finally.. ok I am pooped haha I been at this all day with Atari ST and Amiga trying to get all of this stuff trying to get them to work by themselves before trying to put them in launchbox and it has been hell. I guess that's the price I pay but in the end I know I am one step closer to my dream emulation setup with the mighty LaunchBox..

;)

haha yeah the CD-i, not exactly awesome but was hoping for just a few games on that, there is one fighting game I was trying to get going that seems kind of cool called Mutant Rampage Body Slam.. I got the cd-i to work and load it via MESS but the dang thing gave me an error message about some type of digital video cartridge? Do you happen to know anything about that?  Yes I tend to agree in most cases that the stand alone emulators are usually best since they have more features. The authors of the retroarch cores really need to step up there game when it comes to core options.. it has been disappointing..

Original Post:

1 minute ago, Dreamwarrior77 said:

Yes I tend to agree in most cases that the stand alone emulators are usually best since they have more features.

For regular run of the mill consoles I think Retroarch is best and has more features than the stand alones. But computers seem to be better emulated using a stand alone because of what I said before, the clunkiness of the virtual keyboard.

As for the CD-i and the video cartridge I ran into that issue one time when I wanted to see how Dragon's Lair was on it. That actually was a hardware upgrade option for the CD-i and I am not sure if that is emulated somehow at all or not. Once I ran into that roadblock I just ditched the idea of the CD-i and Dragon's Lair and decided on the Wii version to play that game.

Dang, ok well I will have to keep searching for an answer to this issue. Hoping someone may know how to bypass or deal with it in some way. Thanks for your help. I agree about the computer emulation, like Amiga emulation is so much better on the FS-UAE emulator than retroarch, I can not even seem to get the retroarch amiga core to work yet..

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Doing some testing and while this does indeed work it's not without its issues, games will load and some will play just fine while others will either crash out at some point during loading or freeze up. Steem for now still feels like the better and more user friendly ST emulator.

Which tos are you using? I'm using ST UK ?? TOS (not ste or mega st or emu tos) and haven't had any issues.

TOS 1.02 is generally regarded as the most compatible TOS (Mega ST) but some of the early games will want 1.00. Then there's things like memory, some might want 512k only, others prefer 1mb. That doesn't just vary from game to game either, a crack of one game may want one config, whilst another crack of the same game may want something different.

Having said all that though I don't use the hatari core, I still prefer to use Steem as well.

• 4 months later...