LaunchBox Community Forums

Database Small Things

Lordmonkus

7 minutes ago, FistyDollars said:

Yeah but ScummVM has always gone out of its way to say it's not an emulator, and I think that how it handles games is very different from traditional emulation.

Yes.. It interprets game files instead of trying to mimic the platform it used to run on.. 

I understand that I have done a wrong question.

I try to change point of view.

And I make an example.

I like to help moderating games DB.
I start to moderate and I find a game...Maniac Mansion (it is only an example, because I dont remember all the titles, sorry).
Who is adding it has chosen Scummvm like platform...

But we know that Maniac Mansion is a game for: C64, Amiga, DOS, SNES ecc
So, I think that it should be added to the right platform, because it is different for each platform.

I have seen a request to add a Scummvm game...with front box from DOS and Amiga at the same time...

I think that GAMES DB should be accurate (I have seen a lot of errors in front box of japan games for example).
So, I think I have to reject the request to add, because that games is already present in DOS platform, or because there are "inappropriate" images.

What do you think about this?

I think it should be better to remove SCUMMVM platform and make a "special list" like CAPCOM classics or NAMCO classics named "SCUMMVM games"

Or help me to handle it when I try to help moderating, please ^_^

10 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

But we know that Maniac Mansion is a game for: C64, Amiga, DOS, SNES ecc
So, I think that it should be added to the right platform, because it is different for each platform.

A game can be on more than one platform, it doesn't just have to be on a single one in the database.

11 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

I think it should be better to remove SCUMMVM platform and make a "special list" like CAPCOM classics or NAMCO classics named "SCUMMVM games"

I get where you are coming from but the difference here is that many people "think" of SCUMMVM as a "Platform" now, even though it technically is not. 

I see no reason to remove it from the database since it is already there and it really doesn't cause any confusion at all. And believe me, if it got removed there would be just as many, if not more people asking "why is there no SCUMMVM platform ?"

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

A game can be on more than one platform, it doesn't just have to be on a single one in the database.

I get where you are coming from but the difference here is that many people "think" of SCUMMVM as a "Platform" now, even though it technically is not. 

I see no reason to remove it from the database since it is already there and it really doesn't cause any confusion at all. And believe me, if it got removed there would be just as many, if not more people asking "why is there no SCUMMVM platform ?"

Yes, a game can be on more platform...but a SCUMMVM game from which platform comes? Maniac Mansion SCummvm is from DOS? Amiga? SNES? which front box you should accept? All?

I dont agree with your point of view because I dont believe in democracy, but I can understand it. Is for that I'd add a special list like Namco Classics. Anyway, 
It is not a "problem" for me having a SCUMMVM platform, I'll simply not use it.
But it becomes a "problem" when I have to choose a game to add like moderator. 
I can accept to add Maniac Mansion to Scummvm platform...but which version? Which boxes? Which screenshot? Or I'll accept everything? (and then...why to moderate it?

Sorry my english ^_^

3 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

Yes, a game can be on more platform...but a SCUMMVM game from which platform comes? Maniac Mansion SCummvm is from DOS? Amiga? SNES? which front box you should accept? All?

Personally, I'm not for a separate ScummVM platform in the DB either as I think it's redundant, but as far as this question specifically, it seems pretty simple - the version that ScummVM uses. For most games, that'll be the DOS version, in some it might be a Windows version. There are a few cases where there are multiple versions that are covered under ScummVM, like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis or Loom, where both the DOS and FM Towns versions can be used - for those I'd just say upload boxes for both versions. You could do the DOS one as "World" or "US" and the FM Towns as "Japan". That's fairly few and far between though.

10 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

I dont agree with your point of view because I dont believe in democracy, but I can understand it.

I'm glad somebody understands something, because I don't understand this statement lol

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

I could be wrong but all the SCUMMVM games are the DOS or PC versions are they not ? If so then that makes it pretty easy to decide which media to use. If not then this is why we have a group of moderators to vote and decide on which gets used.

I was pretty sure, but seeing a lot of box from other platform I started to be unsure.
So I'll reject when I see images from different platform ^_^

3 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I'm glad somebody understands something, because I don't understand this statement lol

^_^

We'll go OT, anyway Lordmonkus was saying that he does not want to remove scummvm because people ask for it... when we follow the majority we are in democracy. Got it?

1 minute ago, xevious1974 said:

^_^

We'll go OT, anyway Lordmonkus was saying that he does not want to remove scummvm because people ask for it... when we follow the majority we are in democracy. Got it?

Yes, thank you for explaining democracy to me. I think "Sorry my English" got it across pretty well though.

25 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

Lordmonkus was saying that he does not want to remove scummvm because people ask for it

For the record I don't care one way or the other myself, I don't use SCUMMVM and nor do I intend to.

My only stance was that it was there and many people just consider it a platform so I see no reason to get rid of it but I am perfectly fine with either option.

On the democracy statement, I was pretty sure it was just a "lost in translation" issue so ignored it, but it did have me scratching my head a little, lol.

6 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

I could be wrong but all the SCUMMVM games are the DOS or PC versions are they not ? If so then that makes it pretty easy to decide which media to use. If not then this is why we have a group of moderators to vote and decide on which gets used.

Scummvm is able to read any gamedata if that game is compatible..provided the quality of the engine is implemented correctly.. maniac mansion for NES should work.. same goes for monkey island for the segacd. . 

@xevious1974 i've submitted 240 something games games for scummy these passed couple of days.. can we agree that scummvm currently is a platform and as such..should Have database entries for it. 

I was sort of getting passed at the rejections because I had submitted a lot lately and couldn't find the rejected ones... because I can't filter on that... very annoying 

• Like 1

Just now, Klopjero said:

Scummvm is able to read any gamedata if that game is compatible..provided the quality of the engine is implemented correctly.. maniac mansion for NES should work.. same goes for monkey island for the segacd

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, my knowledge of SCUMMVM beyond what it is is zero.

7 hours ago, xevious1974 said:

I was pretty sure, but seeing a lot of box from other platform I started to be unsure.
So I'll reject when I see images from different platform ^_^

I try to submit as accurate as possible, but wether the game is released on DOS/AMIGA/atari ST I just pick the best picture because internally it matters little.

Unless games or roms are disinctly different. say LOOM initial release (EGA) or LOOM when it uses VGA or LOOM (FM)(released the FM-towns) or in the case of a lot of sierra games where the first installment of the game was released using AGI and was later rereleased as a Sci game I will make the disinction with (Sci). it's the same Title released in a different year, but it's NOT the same game so it should be valid. but when I check the DB I see my games but usualy not the (SCI) games. which bothers the hell out of me. 

the most assed example is the Mixed-up mother goose game title.  it has 4 distinct versions. 

the original AGI engine - Mixed-up mother goose
The Sci engine port - Mixed-up Mother goose (sci)
an enhanced sci - Roberta william's Mixed-up mother goose
and a enhanced deluxe sci  - Mixed-up mother goose deluxe 

and to my annoyance I see only two tiltles show in the DB.

8 hours ago, Klopjero said:

Scummvm is able to read any gamedata if that game is compatible..provided the quality of the engine is implemented correctly.. maniac mansion for NES should work.. same goes for monkey island for the segacd. . 

This is interesting. I've got some alternate versions of some games like VGA + FM Towns versions of Loom and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in my library, but I wasn't aware that non-computer versions like NES or Sega CD were supported as well. The site does seem to confirm this though. Neato!

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCUMM/NES
https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/0.6.1/game/

• Like 1

Maybe the best option is to accept all images for scummvm. Then the user'll choice the one relative to his rom. I don't think it is a good service but can help people understanding that scummvm is not a platform but it is an engine (i hihihih) 

Edited by xevious1974