LaunchBox Community Forums

VLC playback still buggy on beta 15

Naddel81

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Lol okay. Well one fix down. ;)

@Naddel81 Thanks for the video; what happens if you wait a bit? Does the video show up eventually? Also, does it only happen with background videos?

no, unfortunately the videos won't appear even after a longer waiting period. they just "crash" immediately after beginning playback. did not test manual playback, yet.

Wait, nevermind @Jason Carr. After further testing, my issue came up again. I started out fresh, and as I was adding games, one video refused to play. It must have something to do with editing games because thats what I was doing before I tested Big Box again. Before I started editing my games, all the videos played just fine.

Another thing I realized is that the background image doesn't change either, that might have some significance. Only the metadata and the main game image change.

Edited by LukeArio

@Naddel81 @LukeArio This might help me figure out what the issue is on your machines. If you can, open up the LaunchBox\Data\Settings.xml file in a text editor (Notepad if nothing else), and replace the following line:

<DebugLog>false</DebugLog>

With this line:

<DebugLog>true</DebugLog>

(Basically, just change false to true.)

Then after running Big Box for a while, hopefully you'll see a Debug.log file in your LaunchBox folder. If you can attach that here, that should hopefully help. :)

Alright, progress! ;)

I finally found a bug I introduced for background videos that I just fixed, which should resolve @Naddel81's issues. I haven't been able to replicate @LukeArio's issues, but it's possible that this will resolve your issues as well, Luke.

A new beta is out with the fix. I'm hoping to put out the official version this week.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Can you verify this also happens with the default theme? E.g., choose default theme, quit LaunchBox, then restart and try it out. You'd want to make sure it's not related to a plugin used by a theme, e.g., there is a video bug in my plug-in I'm working on fixing.

Yes, I am using the default theme and the latest beta. Look at the screenshots I posted a few posts above for clarification. Also, I'm not using any plugins, this is a fresh installation of LaunchBox/Big Box.

Edited by LukeArio

@LukeArio For the life of me I can't seem to reproduce this. Are you still seeing the exact same issues as you were seeing in the video you posted earlier in the thread? Or is it a slightly different issue now (video coming up blank vs. previous video playing)? Have you tried using WMP instead to see if you have the same issues?

Also, my apologies if you've already shared this info, but what version of Windows are you running? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@LukeArio For the life of me I can't seem to reproduce this. Are you still seeing the exact same issues as you were seeing in the video you posted earlier in the thread? Or is it a slightly different issue now (video coming up blank vs. previous video playing)? Have you tried using WMP instead to see if you have the same issues?

Also, my apologies if you've already shared this info, but what version of Windows are you running? Thanks!

Windows 10, Core i5, gtx 970.

It is the same exact issue I've been having this whole time. What I could do for you @Jason Carr, is send you my data folder and videos folder from my LaunchBox to see if that'll help you reproduce it. And if that doesn't work, I'll just start LaunchBox all over to see if it happens again.

Just now, LukeArio said:

Windows 10, Core i5, gtx 970.

It is the same exact issue I've been having this whole time. What I could do for you @Jason Carr, is send you my data folder and videos folder from my LaunchBox to see if that'll help you reproduce it. And if that doesn't work, I'll just start LaunchBox all over to see if it happens again.

Sure, that makes sense. If you can send me your data folder in a PM, I'll give it a test. I'm not quite sure how data could be affecting video playback, but it's worth a shot. :)

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Sure, that makes sense. If you can send me your data folder in a PM, I'll give it a test. I'm not quite sure how data could be affecting video playback, but it's worth a shot. :)

Alright, give me a few minutes. I'll have it uploaded in a jiffy! :)

• Like 1

So! Thanks to @LukeArio sending me his folders, I got this figured out finally! Believe it or not it had to do with having a gif image for certain games. I had re-built the image loading mechanisms for 7.11 to make them a lot more performant, but the new mechanism does not support gifs for the main images, which was in turn causing the videos to never load. I'll have a final beta out to fix this shortly. :)

• Like 5