LaunchBox Community Forums

Machine settings are overwriting all global settings in mame libretro

Buttonmasher

Launchbox with Retroarch with MAME2014 Libretro core

I took a long break from configuring my arcade machine and recently dived back into it.  I am running into a problem that I cannot seem to find an answer to so I thought I would come here to see if someone could help.  The issue is that when I load up a game in Launcbox using the MAME2014 core, the global buttons are not being used by default, instead the buttons for the specific machine that I load are the ones being used.  However, this is obviously very inconvenient because every time I fire up a game I have to go in and change each machines buttons configs through the quick menu screen within mame.  Is there a setting that allows for all machine settings to be overwriting global settings?  

Not sure if this the actual cause of your issue but any of the Mame cores with a year in its name are older and known to be buggy. You can try the Mame core without a year in its name but depending on what rom set you are using you may run into issues with certain games.

Do you know what rom set version you are using ?

Im currently using .183.  Perhaps ill try libretro_mame out.  If that doesnt work I fell that i may have to do a fresh install of retroarch and delte all settings.  Im wondering if I may have accidentally changed a setting someplace without knowing.  When I stopped working on it months ago I was having some games use content specific settings over the global settings, but this problem I am having was not an issue back then.  

The updated non year mame core will most likely run into a couple of issues with the Capcom CPS games because they need a new qsound file but other than that your rom set should be good to go.

You could also use the stand alone version that matches your rom set and since you are using the 183 rom set the 183 version of Mame has very good HLSL shaders and I even have a preset upload here on the forums.

It's really not too bad getting it up and running, I use the command line version and all that is really needed is a few simple steps. Generate a mame.ini file, tell it where your roms are stored (if you aren't putting them in the \roms\ folder of Mame), make a couple of other minor adjustments in the mame.ini if needed, then load it up and setup your controls using the "Tab" menu.

I wrote up a guide that should get you sorted if you decide to try it out for yourself:

And here is my shader setup with a preview picture.

Yeah you will have less issues, especially if you get the version of Mame that matches your rom set, this is assuming you have a full rom set and not one you cobbled together in pieces.

Plus like in my first post to you the Mame cores with a year in their name are older and are known to be buggy. They have since made more efforts to keep up to date with the latest official builds and it is quite good as long as you have the proper roms for the latest builds. The Mame core is not something you want to keep updating unless you are updating your rom set to match it.