LaunchBox Community Forums

WinVice fullscreen problem through Rocket Launcher

AnonymousMOS

8 minutes ago, JamesBond@ge said:

I've also noticed that CCS64 has a better aspect ratio than WinVICE. The screen seems to be more 'fuller' (for want of a better phrase) in CCS64, whereas WinVICE seems to have these big black borders around the game screen.

I recommend setting the resolution in CCS64 to 1280 x 800 or, better, adding a custom resolution (you can do this in the Nvidia control panel if you're using an Nvidia card, I think there's a way to do it with ATI cards too) of 1600 x 1000. The reason for this is that using an integer of native - 320 x 200 - will crop all of the overscan space in CCS64. If you use a non-integer, there will be some amount of overscan space still. 1280 x 800 is 4x of native, and a standard resolution. 1600 x 1000 is 5x of native, but a non-standard resolution. The resolution list in CCS64 is based on whatever resolutions are available in your usable resolution list in Windows, so you'll have to add one for 1600 x 1000. If you've got a higher than 1080p monitor you could also try 1920 x 1200 (6x). I use 1600 x 1000 as I'm using a 1080p monitor.

8 minutes ago, JamesBond@ge said:

Do you know of a way to launch .crt (Cartridge files) with CCS64 in LaunchBox? I'm having trouble with that one.

I can double-check tonight, but you shouldn't have to do anything special. One thing I will say is that you have to be careful with roms that have special characters in the name. For some reason they cause issues when directed via LB to CCS64 - even though they work normally when started within CCS64 itself. If you've got a rom name with some weird characters (plus or minus signs, brackets, or multiple parentheses), try renaming it to something simpler.

• Like 1

Through LaunchBox, it is loading the last .crt that I launched, no matter which I choose.

Then I open CCS64 and 'detach' the cartridge. Then try to launch another, and it just sits on the starting screen. 

I found this thread on the CCS64 forum with someone else who has this problem: http://www.ccs64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1498. A member of staff says that you need to have the ".crt" files in the emulator directory and run a command line from then. See what you think Zombeaver.

Don't insert it in CCS64 manually. Go into CCS64 and turn Cartridge emulation off (so that it'll eject it), then exit CCS64. They should just work normally afterwards when launched through LB.

I just did a test with windows shortcuts to replicate the behavior of LB.

Shortcut 1: Target path: "C:\CCS64\CCS64.exe" "C:\CCS64\Super Games - 3-in-1 (1988)(Commodore).crt"
Shortcut 2: Target path: "C:\CCS64\CCS64.exe" "C:\CCS64\Arcade Classic Pak (1984)(HesWare).crt"

Start shortcut 1 and it starts that cartridge. Start shortcut 2 and it starts that cartridge. This is no different than what LB is doing - just sending one file to another via command-line.

Start CCS64 up by itself afterwards, no cartridge is inserted.

41 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

VICE is a good emulator, but it doesn't have Maximum 1541 Speed.

The m3u and joystick thing are neat, but every game requires some amount of loading, only some games are multi-disk or require joystick swapping. Most games use port 2. The ones that require port 1 take less than a second to switch. Neither one of those are as much of a QOL improvement as Maximum 1541 Speed imo.

I think the statement that "only a handful" of games require True Drive emulation is overselling it frankly. It's more common than you might think. And the beauty of Maximum 1541 Speed is that you're getting the speed benefit without losing True Drive emulation.

You can get away with not using it a lot of times is what I meant. And by most, I mean less than half, but still a lot.

Vice has a turbo mode, not a load warp. It just unlocks the framerate and lets you spin as fast as your system will let it. You can set the emulator to start with it already toggled, which makes sense because games start by loading from disk or tape. You have to disable it manually when you are ready to actually play. In my limited experience, CCS64 is a lot faster even still. Some voodoo witch craft it does. It is a neat feature, I just like that VICE is so configurable. 

I was just wrestling with this issue myself in CCS64, since I wanted to run all of the cart files I've found for the 64. These load much faster than their .d64 counterparts, and run just fine in VICE, but are not running in CCS64. I made a list of all of the files that wouldn't run for me. I tested removing bracket characters and such, but still wasn't able to run these. 

I sent this list to the developer of CCS64 as well, but no reply just yet. Anyways here's the ones I found that will not load in CCS64 (at least not for me):

Adventure 1 - Mutant Spiders, The (19xx)(-).crt
Adventure 3 - Fourth Sarcophagus, The (19xx)(-).crt
Airborne Ranger (1987)(Microprose)[cr Nostalgia][t +8][docs][EasyFlash 2011-05-08].crt
Basex (1989)(Peter Finch).crt
Batman - The Movie (1989)(Ocean Software)[cr Nostalgia][t +6][docs][EasyFlash 2012-08-15].crt
BattleChess (1989)(Interplay)[h Nostalgia][docs][EasyFlash 2014-06-09].crt
Biggles (1986)(Mirrorsoft)[cr Nostalgia][f][t +9][docs][EasyFlash 2011-09-29].crt
Black Gold (1989)(reLine Software)[cr Nostalgia][f][t +9][docs][EasyFlash 2013-01-19].crt
Bomberland (2013-10-08)(RGCD)[cr Genesis Project][t+3][docs][EasyFlash 2013-10-14].crt
Bruce Lee II (2013)(bruneras.com).crt
C64anabalt (2011)(RGCD).crt
Caren And The Tangled Tentacles (2015)(PriorArt)(de-en).crt
Caveman Ugh-lympics (1988)(Electronic Arts)[cr Nostalgia][docs][EasyFlash 2012-05-17].crt
Commando (1985)(Elite)[cr Nostalgia][t +6][docs][EasyFlash 2014-05-24][Arcade Version].crt
Commando Arcade SE (2015)(Nostalgia).crt
Commodore 64 Game System (1990)(Commodore).crt
Creatures (1990)(Thalamus)[cr Black Mail][EasyFlash 2013-12-26].crt
Creatures 2 - Torture Trouble (1992)(Thalamus)[cr Blackmail][EasyFlash 2013-07-17].crt
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark (1991)(Flair Software)[cr Nostalgia][f][t +9][docs][EasyFlash 2012-03-06].crt
Fourth Sarcophagus, The (1983)(Handic Software).crt
Harald Haardtand - Kampen om de Rene Taender (1992)(Colgate - Palmolive)(DK)[f][h Black Mail][EasyFlash 2014-03-06].crt
Harald Hardtooth - The Fight of the Clean Teeth (1992)(Colgate - Palmolive)[f][h Black Mail][EasyFlash 2014-03-06].crt
Hot Wheels (1985)(Epyx)[cr Nostalgia][t +2][docs][EasyFlash 2012-05-05].crt
Infiltrator Collection (198x)(U.S. Gold)[cr Nostalgia][EasyFlash 2012-07-02].crt
Last Ninja 1 + 2 (198x)(System 3)[cr John64][docs][EasyFlash 2011-04-04].crt
Last Ninja 3, The (1991)(System 3)[cr John64][f][t +1][docs][EasyFlash 2011-06-04].crt
Last Ninja Remix, The (1990)(System 3)[cr Onslaught][Patch 2][EasyFlash].crt
Legacy of the Ancients & Legend of Blacksilver, The (198x)(Electronic Arts & Epyx)[cr Saxxon][t +4][docs][EasyFlash 2014-02-01].crt
Mail Order Monsters (1985)(Electronic Arts)[cr Nostalgia][f][t +7][docs][EasyFlash 2012-03-30].crt
Maniac Mansion (1987)(LucasArts)(PAL-NTSC)[cr Onslaught][t +1][docs][Mercury][Rev 2][EasyFlash 2011-02-07].crt
Mayhem in Monsterland (1993)(Apex)[cr Black Mail][EasyFlash 2013-12-25].crt
Mountie Mick's Death Ride (1987)(Ariolasoft)[cr Nostalgia][f][t +6][docs][EasyFlash 2011-10-02].crt
Mutant Spiders, The (1983)(Handic Software).crt
Myth (1989)(Magnetic Scrolls)[cr Onslaught][t +1][docs][EasyFlash 2011-02-17].crt
Myth - History in the Making (1990)(System 3).crt
Pirates! (1987)(Microprose)[cr Nostalgia][t +10][docs][EasyFlash 2013-04-04].crt
Pit, The (1983)(HesWare).crt
Prince of Persia v1.1 (2011)(Andreas Varga)[cr Onslaught][EasyFlash 2011-11-05].crt
Project Firestart (1989)(Electronic Arts)[cr Nostalgia][t +6][EasyFlash 2012-01-15].crt
Rodland (1991)(Storm)[cr Remember][h Black Mail][t +7][EasyFlash 2014-02-22].crt
Silverrock 3-in-1 (2014-03-03)(Silverrock)(DK)[cr SAM][EasyFlash].crt
Skate or Die! (1987)(Electronic Arts)[cr The Stock][f][docs][EasyFlash 2012-04-30].crt
Space Taxi + Jumpman (198x)(-)[cr John64][t +2][docs][EasyFlash 2011-07-23].crt
Super Cycle (1986)(Epyx)[cr Tom-Cat][EasyFlash 2012-04-12].crt
Super Wonderboy In Monsterland (1989)(Activision)[cr Nostalgia][t +17][EasyFlash 2011-12-16].crt
Sword of Honour (1992)(Prestige Software)(de-en)[cr Nostalgia][t +6][docs][EasyFlash 2013-01-01].crt
The Lost Caves (19xx)(-)[h Wrampi][EasyFlash 2012-09-22].crt
Turbo Charge (1991)(System 3)[t +5][docs][EasyFlash 2011-09-03].crt
Zak McKracken & Maniac Mansion (198x)(LucasArts)[cr Onslaught][t +1][docs][EasyFlash 2011-03-17].crt
Zoo Mania (2011-10-12)(Hannenz)[h Genesis Project][t +3][EasyFlash 2011-10-20].crt

There are a bunch of others that will run, but from what I've found, any Easyflash games will not run in CCS64, and a few others that didn't appear to be Easyflash. I've been setting up Vice to run as a secondary emulator for C64 to run the carts that won't in CCS64, but have been wrestling with getting it to be fullscreen nicely, and also not finding a good script to use my Xbox One controller to interact with Vice and exit and such.

Edited by zorkiii

I'm not sure about the EasyFlash stuff as I don't have any of those and I'm not sure where you got them, but I just tested out carts of Adventure 1, Adventure 3, Batman - The Movie, and The Last Ninja Remix and all of them worked fine. Adventure 1 and 3 and The Last Ninja I had to remove commas from the filenames.

33 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I'm not sure about the EasyFlash stuff as I don't have any of those and I'm not sure where you got them, but I just tested out carts of Adventure 1, Adventure 3, Batman - The Movie, and The Last Ninja Remix and all of them worked fine. Adventure 1 and 3 and The Last Ninja I had to remove commas from the filenames.

I found the carts listed above in the C64-Love_1.1 collection somewhere out there. I was able to get the files you mentioned to work after removing the commas, but it didn't seem to help renaming a number of the others. I think that CCS64 doesn't like Easyflash stuff, I recall reading that on their forums (or somewhere). 

One thing that's always bugged me on the c64 are the crack screens and prompts. It's taken me a long time to track down versions that load without all the unnecessary prompts, and some I still haven't found any better options. Having to first press enter or the spacebar to skip the crack team intro, then hitting escape to exit following pages or Y/N on the trainer screens etc. Anyways, enough griping from me, this isn't even my thread and I'm not helping out here it seems (other than confirming I'm having trouble with carts in CCS64) :)

I did track down a version of Lode Runner that loads straight up and also skips those ridiculous fade in and out circle animations every time you die and come back to life. Those animations took something like 30 seconds to play every time you died! Someone obviously thought the same out there...

The script I posted in the other thread will get you through most cracktro screens as start sends a space input, thumb stick buttons are n and y, and B is escape (Runstop).

If a game's introduction screens really bother you that much you can actually create a savestate file (.c64) once you're past them, and then use the savestate as your "rom" in LB - they'll start up right where you saved.

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

The script I posted in the other thread will get you through most cracktro screens as start sends a space input, thumb stick buttons are n and y, and B is escape (Runstop).

If a game's introduction screens really bother you that much you can actually create a savestate file (.c64) once you're past them, and then use the savestate as your "rom" in LB - they'll start up right where you saved.

Hmm... that's a great idea, I never thought of using save states. I'll try that out for the handful that drive me crazy and load from those instead. Thanks for the suggestion!

19 hours ago, zorkiii said:

I was just wrestling with this issue myself in CCS64, since I wanted to run all of the cart files I've found for the 64. These load much faster than their .d64 counterparts, and run just fine in VICE, but are not running in CCS64. I made a list of all of the files that wouldn't run for me. I tested removing bracket characters and such, but still wasn't able to run these. 

I sent this list to the developer of CCS64 as well, but no reply just yet. Anyways here's the ones I found that will not load in CCS64 (at least not for me):

There are a bunch of others that will run, but from what I've found, any Easyflash games will not run in CCS64, and a few others that didn't appear to be Easyflash. I've been setting up Vice to run as a secondary emulator for C64 to run the carts that won't in CCS64, but have been wrestling with getting it to be fullscreen nicely, and also not finding a good script to use my Xbox One controller to interact with Vice and exit and such.

Wait, is that maniac mansion on a flash cart O.o.

Are there cart versions of games that were previously only available on disk or tape? 

From what I understand there are a number that have been converted to cart format by various people over the years that were only available on disk or tape, and some custom multi-carts with several games to choose from. I found a pretty big collection of these just a few days ago, which is where I posted the list above from (those were just the ones I was having trouble with, there are many others). I am not sure I can post any links, but after some bread crumbs looking for Commodore 64 CRT and some other terms I ended up stumbling across them.

• 6 months later...
On 10/24/2017 at 4:12 PM, mothergoose729 said:

In VICE you can start the game with warp mode automatically toggled. It isn't as good as the feature in CCS64 as you have to manually disable it, but its better than nothing. VICE also lets you create the VICE equivalent of M3U file for seamless disk switching, and you can set the port number for your joystick in the command line, so you don't have to manually switch it for those games that use Port 2. 

If you turn off true 1541 drive emulation you also get a nice speed boost. Only a handful of games really need it. 

I stick with VICE for these reasons. It also has the ability to emulate tons of other commodore machines, if you are a collector of emulators as I am :).

Can you give some details on that disc playlist type option? I'm running this in a cabinet and looking for the easiest way of disc swapping. Is this what the 'Fliplist' thing is?

On 10/24/2017 at 4:17 PM, Zombeaver said:

VICE is a good emulator, but it doesn't have Maximum 1541 Speed.

The m3u and joystick thing are neat, but every game requires some amount of loading, only some games are multi-disk or require joystick swapping. Most games use port 2. The ones that require port 1 take less than a second to switch. Neither one of those are as much of a QOL improvement as Maximum 1541 Speed imo.

I think the statement that "only a handful" of games require True Drive emulation is overselling it frankly. It's more common than you might think. And the beauty of Maximum 1541 Speed is that you're getting the speed benefit without losing True Drive emulation.

You have me looking into CCS64. I used this many years ago... probably my first 64 emu before I went with Vice. I definitely like the max speed option. Is there a way to have not put the banner across the middle of the screen announcing the fast load every time it uses it?

One thing I'm liking better about CCS64 is that in Vice some D64 games don't load unless drive settings is set to '1541-II' and 'True Drive Emulation' is ticked. But this also makes most of the other D64 games not load. I was actually going to have 2 folders with 2 different setups of Vice setup and have games run with whichever version worked.

After testing CCS64 just now it appears to load both types and I did nothing at all with the settings.

3 Specific games that have this issue are 'Lemmings', 'Legacy of the Ancients', and 'Ultima VI'.

Another issue I'm trying to figure out with my cabinet is on some games with cheats you need to use the cursor keys to scroll up or down to select the various cheats.
My cursor keys are assigned to joystick one. So in Vice I have to disable the joy keys then make the selections then enable the joy keys again.
In CCS64 I don't see any way to quickly disable the joy keys but I see I can hit alt-k to bring up a 'insert key stroke' menu that will let me select cursor down. Is there a way for me to just assign a specific 'hot key' to do this automatically?

4 hours ago, DerHof2007 said:

Is there a way to have not put the banner across the middle of the screen announcing the fast load every time it uses it?

Yes, in the "Special" section, press right on the "Maximum 1541 Speed" option until you change it to "On - Quiet".

4 hours ago, DerHof2007 said:

Another issue I'm trying to figure out with my cabinet is on some games with cheats you need to use the cursor keys to scroll up or down to select the various cheats.
My cursor keys are assigned to joystick one. So in Vice I have to disable the joy keys then make the selections then enable the joy keys again.
In CCS64 I don't see any way to quickly disable the joy keys but I see I can hit alt-k to bring up a 'insert key stroke' menu that will let me select cursor down. Is there a way for me to just assign a specific 'hot key' to do this automatically?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. The joystick isn't setup to use the cursor keys, at least not by default. The arrow keys control them. The joystick controls joystick movement. If you wanted to assign these to the controller, you could do it with Controller Companion, Xpadder, AHK, etc.  You can see/change what keyboard keys correspond to which C64 keyboard keys by going to Options -> Input -> Keyboard

I actually use the DOS version of CCS64 now, and use DOSBox's mapper function to assign certain functions to the controller, like joystick port swapping, using the d-pad for arrow keys, disk swapping, etc. This requires a not-insignificant amount of additional setup time though. It's worth it to me in the end though, as it avoids some of the things that I find kindof annoying about the Windows version of CCS64, like the way it handles audio/video sync, screen resolution, etc.. If you want an example, I did a curated set of 128 games using this method that you can find on my website. I've been in the process of converting my entire C64 library (which is curated, so it's not impossible) to this format, but it's time-consuming.

8 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Yes, in the "Special" section, press right on the "Maximum 1541 Speed" option until you change it to "On - Quiet".

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. The joystick isn't setup to use the cursor keys, at least not by default. The arrow keys control them. The joystick controls joystick movement. If you wanted to assign these to the controller, you could do it with Controller Companion, Xpadder, AHK, etc.  You can see/change what keyboard keys correspond to which C64 keyboard keys by going to Options -> Input -> Keyboard

But the C64 cursor keys are the arrow keys on the keyboard. I'm not using game controllers... my setup is in a cabinet so my joysticks are mapped to the keyboard. Player one being the 4 arrow keys for the joystick. So when setup like this in Vice or CCS64 they wont function as the cursor keys because they are mapped to the joystick.

I suppose I can just map a couple player 3 or 4 buttons for this task with AHK... I do this already to assign key functions to player buttons for certain games. How would I map the cursor keys? For example if I want my player 1 button one which is mapped as A to be B then I would simply add a::b to the AHK file. What would the command be to map A as the cursor down button? a:: ???

Let me ask you this since you seem to be 'The Man' for C64. How can I use my PC mouse for C64 games like Lemmings? Is this possible?

Also just booted up a game that has a typical cracktro in the beginning requiring me to press a key to continue. Loading time... another screen with options for me to select... then more loading time.
So I got to the final loading page and did a save state. Got my new files. Restarted CCS64 and dragged the new file into and INSTANT start to the game menu.
A good bit of my games I've acquired roms that boot straight to the game with no intros anyway but for the multiple ones that don't is there any reason I shouldn't do this with every one? Any disadvantages?

Also gonna check out your web page later. Looks cool!

51 minutes ago, DerHof2007 said:

But the C64 cursor keys are the arrow keys on the keyboard. I'm not using game controllers... my setup is in a cabinet so my joysticks are mapped to the keyboard. Player one being the 4 arrow keys for the joystick. So when setup like this in Vice or CCS64 they wont function as the cursor keys because they are mapped to the joystick.

As I said, you can change these in the Input section. If you go to the Options -> Input -> Keyboard section you can go to the "PC Key" section, press F3, then press a key on the keyboard that you want to use. Then go down to "C64 Key" and press right and left arrow keys until you get to the C64 input that you want that key to send. So, for example, if you wanted to map them to WASD, you would press F4, W, down to the C64 Key and then right until you got to input you wanted it to send - it should be noted here that cursor up is what the C64 Key section calls "CRSR DOWN + SHIFT".

Up = CRSR DOWN + SHIFT
Left = CRSR RIGHT + SHIFT
Down = CRSR DOWN
Right = CRSR RIGHT

You would need to delete or change the assignments for the PC Keys for Cursor Up, Left, Down, and Right as well as these would still be assigned to the C64 cursor keys too. Then just go into the "Define Joystick Keyset" section and make sure your Up, Down, Left, and Right assignments are set to those cursor keys to control joystick movement.

I handle pretty much everything through the DOSBox mapper in my setup though, the only exception being disk swapping on multi-disk games, which I use AHK for because the DOS version makes it a bit more cumbersome than in the Windows version; I can get around the issue with AHK though.

image.thumb.png.eeac5d196341fd0a11105514917fe8dd.png

1 hour ago, DerHof2007 said:

What would the command be to map A as the cursor down button? a:: ???

In AHK the cursor/arrow key hotkeys are literally just named "Left", "Right", "Down", and "Up", so a::down

https://autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

Let me ask you this since you seem to be 'The Man' for C64. How can I use my PC mouse for C64 games like Lemmings? Is this possible?

Likely the only way to do this would be to use something like AHK to convert mouse inputs to other inputs like arrow keys or whatever, like this.

Also just booted up a game that has a typical cracktro in the beginning requiring me to press a key to continue. Loading time... another screen with options for me to select... then more loading time.
So I got to the final loading page and did a save state. Got my new files. Restarted CCS64 and dragged the new file into and INSTANT start to the game menu.
A good bit of my games I've acquired roms that boot straight to the game with no intros anyway but for the multiple ones that don't is there any reason I shouldn't do this with every one? Any disadvantages?

Yes, you can do this with the Windows version, and you can actually just use the .C64 savestate files as your "rom" in LB and it'll work just fine. One thing to consider is that you'll want to name it similarly to the original rom name and place it in the same directory so that you can still use the next/previous disk function (Alt+F5 and Alt+F6), which (in the Windows version) works based on the filename (the next and previous filename it finds from the currently loaded one), so if you had Pirates.C64, Pirates1.D64, and Pirates2.D64, loading Pirates.C64 would mean you'd need to press the next disk shortcut twice to get to disk 2 (Pirates.C64 -> Pirates1.D64 -> Pirates2.D64). If it's a game that's just a single disk, it's irrelevant.

As far as disadvantages, no not really, unless you end up using the DOS version of CCS64, and then only because they're slightly more difficult to load (you can't load them directly via command-line like you can in the Windows version, you can still load them through the emulator menu though).

I don't find this to be necessary for the vast majority of games so long as you're using Maximum 1541 Speed though. Most games load in literally a couple seconds. If games have multiple obnoxious cracktros I usually just get a different version (in most cases there are a dozen+ different cracked versions of any given game). I don't mind cracktros as long as there's just one, and I can quickly skip it. That's kindof part of the C64 experience I think haha

9 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

As I said, you can change these in the Input section. If you go to the Options -> Input -> Keyboard section you can go to the "PC Key" section, press F3, then press a key on the keyboard that you want to use. Then go down to "C64 Key" and press right and left arrow keys until you get to the C64 input that you want that key to send. So, for example, if you wanted to map them to WASD, you would press F4, W, down to the C64 Key and then right until you got to input you wanted it to send - it should be noted here that cursor up is what the C64 Key section calls "CRSR DOWN + SHIFT".

Up = CRSR DOWN + SHIFT
Left = CRSR RIGHT + SHIFT
Down = CRSR DOWN
Right = CRSR RIGHT

Of course... I'm kind of baffled that I didn't think to do this as I use AHK for C64 already for games that use minimal keys.

Likely the only way to do this would be to use something like AHK to convert mouse inputs to other inputs like arrow keys or whatever, like this.

Trying this out but not having any luck yet.

Yes, you can do this with the Windows version, and you can actually just use the .C64 savestate files as your "rom" in LB and it'll work just fine. One thing to consider is that you'll want to name it similarly to the original rom name and place it in the same directory so that you can still use the next/previous disk function (Alt+F5 and Alt+F6), which (in the Windows version) works based on the filename (the next and previous filename it finds from the currently loaded one), so if you had Pirates.C64, Pirates1.D64, and Pirates2.D64, loading Pirates.C64 would mean you'd need to press the next disk shortcut twice to get to disk 2 (Pirates.C64 -> Pirates1.D64 -> Pirates2.D64). If it's a game that's just a single disk, it's irrelevant.

As far as disadvantages, no not really, unless you end up using the DOS version of CCS64, and then only because they're slightly more difficult to load (you can't load them directly via command-line like you can in the Windows version, you can still load them through the emulator menu though).

I don't find this to be necessary for the vast majority of games so long as you're using Maximum 1541 Speed though. Most games load in literally a couple seconds. If games have multiple obnoxious cracktros I usually just get a different version (in most cases there are a dozen+ different cracked versions of any given game). I don't mind cracktros as long as there's just one, and I can quickly skip it. That's kindof part of the C64 experience I think haha

Good to know. I like this option. Like you said it wont be necessary for most. I think I've found roms for almost all games that boot directly to the game. The main ones that need interaction are the ones with cheat codes or docs... which I wont use much anyway. For games like that I have 2 versions and will mainly choose the one that boots directly.
I hear about the C64 experience... I'd love to know my accumulated wait time for games to boot from back in the day, LOL.

Thank you for the help. I think CCS64 may be my new primary emulator!

Edited by DerHof2007

CCS64 question.
Now that I'm playing around with this emulator again... I remember why I stopped using it and went to Vice.
This was a while ago but I remember having this same problem back in the day.

There is a mild high pitched whine in the background while the emulator is running... and sometimes popping at times especially when closing.

Anything is settings that may be able to stop this?
I don't have this at all with WinVice

Also now that I am messing with this in my cabinet I can't seem to get CCS to save settings. I change screen size/fast load etc. but after I shut it down these settings are changed back to default. Doesn't it just auto save on exit?

Edited by DerHof2007