LaunchBox Community Forums

27 minutes ago, alnyden said:

Any chance of adding Apple II to the Nostolgia platform list?

Sure -- there's a good viking video for that, so I'll add it to my todo list. Working on a Minimal update, and once that's done I'll go back and tidy up Nostalgia.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

This theme just keeps getting better! Great work once again :) I was wondering, how could I make the games list (text view) move to the right side? I tried finding the location in the XAML code but wasn't quite sure what to do

Really glad you like the update. Moving the games list to the right side of the screen is possible, but it wouldn't work well with the backgrounds; it would put the list over the platform hardware of viking's backgrounds. He designed the backgrounds to place the list and other info to the left side.

Just now, eatkinola said:

Really glad you like the update. Moving the games list to the right side of the screen is possible, but it wouldn't work well with the backgrounds; it would put the list over the platform hardware of viking's backgrounds. He designed the backgrounds to place the list and other info to the left side.

Totally understood. But I was planning to create my own backgrounds, but most of the artwork is on the left side

14 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Major update to v1.2. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Thanks for the update, the changes seem really cool.  Unfortunately I'm having some major performance issues with the new version.  Sluggish scrolling, videos taking a long time to play, and crashes.  Anyone else having problems?

Also, didn't get a chance to check myself due to the crashes, but is the old "boring" text version still there?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Totally understood. But I was planning to create my own backgrounds, but most of the artwork is on the left side

You can certainly do this. The layout of each view is defined using a nesting of Grid elements. By defining column widths and row heights, you can position elements within the view. To horizontally mirror all the views is doable, just needs a bit of elbow grease. You can edit the XAML files using any old text editor; I just use notepad for that. Take a look at the XAML for one of the views you want to modify, and feel free to pm me with any questions. Hint: when defining column and row dimensions, I assume a 4k layout which is 3840 x 2160; this will scale well to other 16:9 layouts. Notice the asterisk in the dimensions (e.g., 3840*); that's what allows it to scale.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alnyden said:

Thanks for the update, the changes seem really cool.  Unfortunately I'm having some major performance issues with the new version.  Sluggish scrolling, videos taking a long time to play, and crashes.  Anyone else having problems?

Yes, it is really cool if my biased self may say so :). Sorry you're having troubles; let's see if we can narrow that down. First, if you're getting those crashes with VLC, switch over to WMP for the video engine (BigBox setting); I don't get crashes with VLC, but at this point I consider the WMP implementation the way to go. Please send me a screen grab of the error reports. Also, it'd be helpful to know on which views it occurs; might help narrow down to a specific control. How many games are in your library? It'd also be helpful if you could test with MinimalX v5.1 (just uploaded), as it uses the same version of the plugin library. You can grab it here:

10 hours ago, alnyden said:

is the old "boring" text version still there?

Yes, but I changed it to look like the other views (I didn't really like the old text view as it didn't jive with the rest of the theme). Sorry if you became attached to the old text view. This updated text view is one of my favorites now. There are actually multiple "text" views; views 1 and 3 are actually wheel-based views but mimic a list, and in these views the lists will fade out to reveal platform or game metadata. In the real text views (of which you can only have one each for platforms and games), the list does not fade out.

3 hours ago, eatkinola said:

You can certainly do this. The layout of each view is defined using a nesting of Grid elements. By defining column widths and row heights, you can position elements within the view. To horizontally mirror all the views is doable, just needs a bit of elbow grease. You can edit the XAML files using any old text editor; I just use notepad for that. Take a look at the XAML for one of the views you want to modify, and feel free to pm me with any questions. Hint: when defining column and row dimensions, I assume a 4k layout which is 3840 x 2160; this will scale well to other 16:9 layouts. Notice the asterisk in the dimensions (e.g., 3840*); that's what allows it to scale.

Thanks a lot for the explanation! Just wondering though, which one of the XAML files (in the theme's folder) has the dimensions/measurements for the games list column?

6 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Thanks a lot for the explanation! Just wondering though, which one of the XAML files (in the theme's folder) has the dimensions/measurements for the games list column?

You're welcome! There are multiple game's list views, but I suspect the one you want is TextGamesView.xaml. I'll pm you to continue this discussion.

13 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

You're welcome! There are multiple game's list views, but I suspect the one you want is TextGamesView.xaml. I'll pm you to continue this discussion.

No worries! I got it figured out now after playing around with the XAML code for about an hour :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 7:35 PM, eatkinola said:

Yes, it is really cool if my biased self may say so :). Sorry you're having troubles; let's see if we can narrow that down. First, if you're getting those crashes with VLC, switch over to WMP for the video engine (BigBox setting); I don't get crashes with VLC, but at this point I consider the WMP implementation the way to go. Please send me a screen grab of the error reports. Also, it'd be helpful to know on which views it occurs; might help narrow down to a specific control. How many games are in your library? It'd also be helpful if you could test with MinimalX v5.1 (just uploaded), as it uses the same version of the plugin library. You can grab it here:

Yes, but I changed it to look like the other views (I didn't really like the old text view as it didn't jive with the rest of the theme). Sorry if you became attached to the old text view. This updated text view is one of my favorites now. There are actually multiple "text" views; views 1 and 3 are actually wheel-based views but mimic a list, and in these views the lists will fade out to reveal platform or game metadata. In the real text views (of which you can only have one each for platforms and games), the list does not fade out.

Sorry I haven't had time to troubleshoot the theme yet, but I should do it soon.

As for the old text view, I do use it a lot since you added the feature of having fan art background, which is nice for specific playlists.  Curious -- how many files would I have to tweak if I wanted to rename the theme to keep using the old version for certain platforms?

8 hours ago, alnyden said:

Sorry I haven't had time to troubleshoot the theme yet, but I should do it soon.

No worries. I'm hopefully close to an update -- working on a few minor bugs ... but the performance issues are hopefully solved in this next update; I did find some problems there.

8 hours ago, alnyden said:

As for the old text view, I do use it a lot since you added the feature of having fan art background, which is nice for specific playlists.  Curious -- how many files would I have to tweak if I wanted to rename the theme to keep using the old version for certain platforms?

You could make a stripped down version of the old theme leaving just the text views and would have to modify about 5-6 files with the new theme name.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eatkinola said:

No worries. I'm hopefully close to an update -- working on a few minor bugs ... but the performance issues are hopefully solved in this next update; I did find some problems there.

Okay, I'll wait for the next update then.

13 hours ago, eatkinola said:

You could make a stripped down version of the old theme leaving just the text views and would have to modify about 5-6 files with the new theme name.

I'll give this a shot.  Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Updated to v1.3 -- addressed bugs and performance issues.

Working great and performance is much improved from 1.2!

Only thing I noticed is Collecovision videos are not fitting properly in the monitor.

Also, in the old text view for a playlist, I think the name of the playlist was at the top, and now it shows the system name instead.  I could see an argument either way but personally I preferred having the playlist name up top.

Thanks for the fixes and love having Apple II included! :) 

On 9/27/2017 at 9:38 PM, eatkinola said:

Nostalgia

View File

Nostalgia uses the amazing platform videos created by @viking to create a per-system theme; thanks to viking for letting me derive from and name my theme after his work. It's designed for 16:9; tested at HD but not 4k since I don't have a 4k setup. Please let me know if you spot problems or have suggestions. It relies on a set of plugin controls I created, so you'll have to unblock either the entire zip file, or more specifically the DLL files in the theme's Plugins folder (see below). Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, the current version of this theme requires LB version 8+ (Nostalgia 1.0-beta-7 works with LB version 7.10+, and you can download prior versions of Nostalgia via the changelog section on this page). Bundled with Nostalgia are some clear logos from viking's silver ring set, along with a few extras. Also bundled are platform banners created by @Grila and @Omen. For the best experience (including CRT curvature effects for videos), I recommend setting BigBox to use Windows Media Player.

• Platform Views: Background as the current platform (from viking's video set) including a video playing within the arcade cabinet, TV screen, etc. If there is no video for the selected platform, category, or playlist, a random list of relevant game videos are played instead. If no vids are available, screenshots are used. Platform, category, or playlist details are displayed to the left of the screen.
  • Game Views: Selected game is displayed within a platform-specific background. If no game video exists, the game's screenshots are played as a slideshow while the game's soundtrack (if found in your LB setup) is played in the background. If neither game nor screenshots exist, a video of TV static plays. Game details are displayed to the left of the screen.
  • Filter Views: E.g., Genres, Series, etc -- in this view, a random list of game videos for the selected Series, etc. will play.

KNOWN ISSUES: (1) 3DS and DS videos do not display properly. This is due to how they were captured, i.e., with both screens on these dual screen devices being squished into a single video. A potential workaround is to crop out the auxiliary screen from these videos and use on the part from the main screen. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I think handbrake would work for batch cropping. (2) There are missing platform backgrounds. I tried to include the most common platforms. Viking's background set is quite thorough; please send me any requests.

NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLLs (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll and others) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run these DLLs. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.

5934737766ef0_PluginSecurityError.jpg.a7a39192a7887d8c342ac8a0a08a239d.jpg

5934737219c73_ErrorFix.thumb.jpg.980d4fb15c165b106399b7899b39a6d5.jpg

Every time that I try to use the theme LB crashes? No idea what might be going on here?

1 minute ago, croppie1kenobi said:

Every time that I try to use the theme LB crashes? No idea what might be going on here?

Have some questions to try and help you better -- What version of LaunchBox are you running? Would you please provide an error report? - e.g., screenshot of the error that pops up when LB crashes. Are you using Windows Media Player or VLC to display videos? Does the MinimalX theme run fine on your setup?

6 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Have some questions to try and help you better -- What version of LaunchBox are you running? Would you please provide an error report? - e.g., screenshot of the error that pops up when LB crashes. Are you using Windows Media Player or VLC to display videos? Does the MinimalX theme run fine on your setup?

Photo_Jun_07,_8_06_22_PM.jpg

• Thanks 1