LaunchBox Community Forums

3 minutes ago, alnyden said:

Just trying out the theme for the first time and loving it.  Great work!

What I was hoping to do was make a backup (alt version) of the theme and change the background image depending on the playlist.  (Preparing for theme-specific playlists in Bigbox update).  I created a copy of the whole folder, then in Styles-Nostolgia found the background image path and changed it to the new folder name, but after doing this, it still displayed the old image.  Any tips on how I could accomplish this?

Thanks again!

R

Thanks, R. For which view are you trying to change the background? Perhaps you could upload a screenshot?

Love the theme @eatkinola and thanks for the quick fix. IS it possible for me to change colours of certain things?  I would like to change your colour blue to the blue from criticalzones theme, i like to have @JamesBaker themes on a larger scale so im wanting to use criticalzones theme for platforms screen and your theme for games screen but would also like the matching blue. Great theme :)

Untitled.png

@eatkinola for some reason version .99a is extremely slow for me, it seems like its taking awhile to load videos, but I'm not sure if that's what it is. All other assets load, then it hangs for a good 2-3 seconds before loading each platform video. I've gone back to .98a which works very well for me as long as I use WMP.

Created a new default background for categories and playlists. I used viking's bg for movies/kodi as the starting point. I think it looks okay but wonder if it's missing something. Maybe some ambient lighting or some other deco? If someone with more ps/gimp skills than me wants to step up and make it better, have at it!

couch.thumb.jpg.20610849bd41e38cfcb29dd4770f7b96.jpg

GIMP file: Nostalgia-BG-TV-Samsung.xcf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Omen said:

@eatkinola for some reason version .99a is extremely slow for me, it seems like its taking awhile to load videos, but I'm not sure if that's what it is. All other assets load, then it hangs for a good 2-3 seconds before loading each platform video. I've gone back to .98a which works very well for me as long as I use WMP.

Hmm, that's odd. I've not noticed that on my setup, but VLC is crashing a lot more lately with recent BB betas. I might let the dust settle on the beta issues. I switched over to WMP for now, too. I made a note of this issue and will investigate. Thanks for the report!

• Like 1

Here's a version with the couch a little higher to fit into the scene better (I think). Also attached is the PNG if you want to try it; rename to @ZDEFAULT.png and copy into the Categories and Platforms subfolders of AVLF. Phew I'm gonna crash now. Let me know what y'all think. @Retro808: I'll try to leverage viking's category videos in keeping with the theme; we'll see how it goes. EDIT: To apply the PNG, you'll also need to make a change to the @INDEX files in the Categories and Platforms folders, to account for the different video position within the background image.

@ZDEFAULT.png |#| 0.473,0.104,0.040,0.409 |#| DEFAULT |#| DEFAULT

couch-higher.thumb.jpg.edde6c850b9c1aef9ce6371142a69c8f.jpg59e6bcd2a144f_Couch(higher).thumb.png.23485f876aa9e7f85814b8f25c42512f.png

Edited by eatkinola
additional instructions
  • Like 2

Finally back home and have the latest update in place. So far no issues from my end. Things appear to be running just as smooth. Added the new default it looks good, but may go back to the old default. The couch just does not seem to fit for games. I guess it is because my system is in a stand-up arcade. I do like that as a default for categories it is different from other views so I may leave it. 

@eatkinola How/where is the theme pulling metadata for the vertical dates on the left side of the screen? Reason I ask is in my playlists some of the playlist are showing a date and some are not. I am sure it pulls from metadata of the game and the platform in the normal platform and game screens so I sort of figured a playlist would not have a date since a playlist can include games from multiple platforms. When I saw some of my playlists showed a date and some did not it made me want to ask. 

21 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

How/where is the theme pulling metadata for the vertical dates on the left side of the screen? Reason I ask is in my playlists some of the playlist are showing a date and some are not. I am sure it pulls from metadata of the game and the platform in the normal platform and game screens so I sort of figured a playlist would not have a date since a playlist can include games from multiple platforms. When I saw some of my playlists showed a date and some did not it made me want to ask.

Good question. If a date is defined in LB for a platform, that date is used. If not defined for a platform, or if dealing with a platform category or playlist, the plugin tries to figure out a suitable year by scanning the platforms and/or games and choosing the earliest date. I thought it'd be nice to always include a year when possible. If you find a case where it's not working correctly, please let me know and I'll have a look. For playlists where no year is displayed, do the games not have a year defined?

30 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Added the new default it looks good, but may go back to the old default. The couch just does not seem to fit for games. I guess it is because my system is in a stand-up arcade. I do like that as a default for categories it is different from other views so I may leave it.

@Retro808: Sadly no stand-up arcade here, nor is my tv that big but at least I have a comfy couch to sit on. If you have other ideas for a default background, let me know and I'd be happy to try some new concepts. @Omen seems pretty handy with photoshop, so perhaps he can whip up something? Hey @Omen would you please send me that blank background by the way?

@eatkinola I figured out the issue with playlist dates. If even 1 game is missing the date in the metadata it will not show a date in the playlist category. So if you have 15 games in a playlist and 14 of them all have a date in metadata and 1 does not, the playlist category for those games will not show a date. I tested both by adding the date to the game that was missing it and the playlist then showed a date, as well as on a playlist that did have a date deleting the date from one game in it and then that playlist no longer showed a date. 

The couch one is growing on me as my system is set-up with 3 screens. 2 on the arcade cabinet and then the 3rd is the large led tv when you want to sit down on the couch and play that way. 

Default image wise I was picturing for consoles having the pc screen and then like several different consoles around it, or maybe even just different controllers. Maybe do something similar for handhelds by putting several different handheld system laying around the screen. Just a thought. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@eatkinola I figured out the issue with playlist dates. If even 1 game is missing the date in the metadata it will not show a date in the playlist category. So if you have 15 games in a playlist and 14 of them all have a date in metadata and 1 does not, the playlist category for those games will not show a date. I tested both by adding the date to the game that was missing it and the playlist then showed a date, as well as on a playlist that did have a date deleting the date from one game in it and then that playlist no longer showed a date.

Nice troubleshooting! I'll fix this for the next release.

22 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The couch one is growing on me as my system is set-up with 3 screens. 2 on the arcade cabinet and then the 3rd is the large led tv when you want to sit down on the couch and play that way. 

Again I'm a touch envious. Nice setup! :^)

24 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Default image wise I was picturing for consoles having the pc screen and then like several different consoles around it, or maybe even just different controllers. Maybe do something similar for handhelds by putting several different handheld system laying around the screen. Just a thought. 

That's a good idea. I just finished the viking category backgrounds and will include those in the release. See what you think of those. We can always add more; I like the idea of giving more options.

8 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Nice troubleshooting! I'll fix this for the next release.

No problem. Happy I can at least be of a little help on the forum.

Again I'm a touch envious. Nice setup! :^)

Thanks. It is not the slickest of set-ups but it was fun making. I owe a big thanks to Launchbox and forum members such as yourself. The software and the members reignited my interest in emulation. 

That's a good idea. I just finished the viking category backgrounds and will include those in the release. See what you think of those. We can always add more; I like the idea of giving more options.

Looking forward to the next drop. The theme just keeps getting sharper and sharper. Speaking of backgrounds if there is any way you can add one for Famicom Disk System that would be awesome. Really the only one I am missing on my consoles. :D

Hi @eatkinola. I am still enjoying the theme very much, but I would like to make a personal edit to the game list view if possible but I know nothing of XAML so was hoping you could provide the line of code I would need if possible? It should be a very quick and simple edit for someone with your skills. :)  I will stress i'm not asking you to change the theme at all, just provide the code if possible so I can copy paste into the view XAML for my own personal use. what I would like to do is in the image below replace the, genre, modes, platform, developer and progress text block with simply the scrolling game description instead. Is that something you would be willing to knock up for me? No worries if not, I just miss the game description as I have the game details screen switched off in the Bigbox options.

Thanks again.

Screenshot (49).png