LaunchBox Community Forums

7.12-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Just put out a new beta guys that resolves yet another import error that some folks are getting; I expect that this will at least improve things @ckp and @massatomic. We'll probably have to rush out another official release to resolve this one as well.

cool. would be nice to be able to skip the emumovies media screen if you want to cuz that adds extra time even when you don't want to use it.

1 hour ago, damageinc86 said:

@Jason Carr I would try the unplugging thing, but I have almost 10 genuine controllers plugged in and don't want to have to remAp them all just on the off chance that's it.  I can live without startup videos until it's figured out. But just wanted to bring it up since it is some sort of issue now. I am doubting it's picking up a phantom press because like @neil9000 said it's stopping it the same time, every time, right when BB is done loading.

Wow. That's most likely the issue then, but if I'm ever going to be able to troubleshoot it, I'm going to need to know. Skipping the video doesn't stop the video when you press a key, it stops it when it's done loading. So that only makes sense.

@keltoigael That makes sense since Big Box does not have a separate cache of images for each theme. That's gonna be a tricky one to solve; in order to do it properly we would need a separate cache for each theme, which would result in a bunch more images in the cache. So idk. That might just have to be a known issue for a while.

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@keltoigael That makes sense since Big Box does not have a separate cache of images for each theme. That's gonna be a tricky one to solve; in order to do it properly we would need a separate cache for each theme, which would result in a bunch more images in the cache. So idk. That might just have to be a known issue for a while.

@Jason Carr Unfortunately this is a pretty big issue for me. I have custom wheels and banners for almost every theme I use. Now I have this weird mash up of images for all of my themes. Is there a work around aside from just using one set of images?

@Jason Carr I also just tried some shorter videos from the downloads section, like the neo geo intro and the neon sign one, plus like 4 more.  While of course they don't get cut off since they are short, bigbox doesn't load until the normal time that BB would usually cut off the longer videos.  It just stays on a black screen until BB loads like it usually does.

Edited by damageinc86

18 hours ago, keltoigael said:

@Jason Carr Unfortunately this is a pretty big issue for me. I have custom wheels and banners for almost every theme I use. Now I have this weird mash up of images for all of my themes. Is there a work around aside from just using one set of images?

16 hours ago, Kriven said:

Shouldn't "refresh all images" after changing themes fix the issue?

13 hours ago, keltoigael said:

No, you can see in the video I posted that it still would randomly pull from other themes even after a refresh.

If the images are platform screen images, you would think that it would work to reset them after changing themes, since the platforms screens always use the global theme. The issue is of course caused by using different themes for different platforms. I guess if a platform image is loaded up and cached from a different theme, that would cause the discrepancies. I'll have to see what we can do about that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

@Jason Carr I also just tried some shorter videos from the downloads section, like the neo geo intro and the neon sign one, plus like 4 more.  While of course they don't get cut off since they are short, bigbox doesn't load until the normal time that BB would usually cut off the longer videos.  It just stays on a black screen until BB loads like it usually does.

Sure, that unfortunately doesn't really prove that it's caused by a stray input device either way. So I'm still curious there.

@Jason Carr well in my feeble non-programmer brain that sort of shows that no matter long or short video, bigbox is waiting until it's loaded to do anything. Cuts off long vid when loaded, and extends time of short vid to wait until it's loaded. Of course I don't have enough insight to form any thoughts past that.  But that's the behavior. 

Just now, damageinc86 said:

@Jason Carr well in my feeble non-programmer brain that sort of shows that no matter long or short video, bigbox is waiting until it's loaded to do anything. Cuts off long vid when loaded, and extends time of short vid to wait until it's loaded. Of course I don't have enough insight to form any thoughts past that.  But that's the behavior. 

Yeah, I get that. That makes sense. It's going straight into Big Box immediately when it's ready, no matter how long the video is, because it thinks a key has been pressed. Or at least that's my theory.

@Jason CarrWell I can test that I guess by pressing a key to stop it ahead of time. But If it thought a key was being pressed on a short video, why is it leaving the screen black after the video is done playing, and waiting the same exact seconds for bigbox to load?  Why would it add a black screen to the end of a short video if it thinks a key has been pressed I mean. Shouldn't bigbox load whenever the video is done playing, and not add time to a shorter video?

Edited by damageinc86

35 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

@Jason CarrWell I can test that I guess by pressing a key to stop it ahead of time. But If it thought a key was being pressed on a short video, why is it leaving the screen black after the video is done playing, and waiting the same exact seconds for bigbox to load?  Why would it add a black screen to the end of a short video if it thinks a key has been pressed I mean. Shouldn't bigbox load whenever the video is done playing, and not add time to a shorter video?

Its probably showing a black screen simple because Bigbox hasn't loaded yet so it just shows black until the program is ready.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Just put out another official release to fix another issue importing games. Saving the checkbox items apparently gave me some trouble lol. We should be good to go now though so we can focus on new stuff. :)

Nice add for music box alpha on the welcome screen. ;) Makes sense.

@neil9000 yeah but what I don't understand is ok it would take time for bigbox to load after any video is done sure, that makes sense.  But the black screen it's showing is taking up the exact amount of seconds to make up to I think it was 18, then big box loads. Shouldny big box only take a few seconds after any video plays for it to load?  Or no matter what length of video, it is going to either cut or hold the black screen up until the allotted time has passed? It seems odd to allow different length videos if bigbox will just wait a certain time no matter what 

1 minute ago, damageinc86 said:

@neil9000 yeah but what I don't understand is ok it would take time for bigbox to load after any video is done sure, that makes sense.  But the black screen it's showing is taking up the exact amount of seconds to make up to I think it was 18, then big box loads. Shouldny big box only take a few seconds after any video plays for it to load?  Or no matter what length of video, it is going to either cut or hold the black screen up until the allotted time has passed? It seems odd to allow different length videos if bigbox will just wait a certain time no matter what 

I think you are misunderstanding what is happening here, if not then apologies. The point of the startup videos is to give you something nice to watch while Bigbox loads behind the scenes. I am guessing in your case that Bigbox takes longer to load than the length of the video, so you are left with a black screen as Bigbox finishes loading. Try copying your startup folder out of the video folder and timing how long Bigbox actually takes to load.