LaunchBox Community Forums

7.12-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 11/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, FistyDollars said:

I'm having an issue with 7.14 where anytime I click on a game with a .webm video (the format that Launchbox downloads from Steam) Launchbox immediately crashes. Anyone else having this issue?

On 11/4/2017 at 6:43 AM, Mike Stewart said:

I can confirm I'm having the same problem. All other non-PC/Steam games seem to be working fine.

Odd. I figured this would be easy to replicate, but of course all my .webm videos are working fine with VLC in LaunchBox. Are you guys running Windows 7?

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Odd. I figured this would be easy to replicate, but of course all my .webm videos are working fine with VLC in LaunchBox. Are you guys running Windows 7?

Hi Jason I don't usually use videos in Launchbox as they are better suited to Bigbox, but I have just tested this and I can replicate it also. 

Here is a quick video I just made demonstrating the issue.

On 11/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, FistyDollars said:

I'm having an issue with 7.14 where anytime I click on a game with a .webm video (the format that Launchbox downloads from Steam) Launchbox immediately crashes. Anyone else having this issue?

On 11/4/2017 at 6:43 AM, Mike Stewart said:

I can confirm I'm having the same problem. All other non-PC/Steam games seem to be working fine.

Odd. I figured this would be easy to replicate but .webm videos are working fine with 7.14 on my end. Are you guys running Windows 7?

On 11/5/2017 at 10:08 AM, shinra358 said:

@Jason Carr I've been trying to perfect thsi for a while but no matter what I do, using bigbox in different resolutions, something is always not right. Especially shadows. This seems like a really quick thing to do so I hope you'll do it but I would like to ask that you code bigbox to be dpi-aware so that things will look correct on every resolution.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee308410(v=vs.85).aspx

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13858665/disable-dpi-awareness-for-wpf-application

This is still planned but it's quite a nightmare unfortunately. I looked into all this stuff in the past and spent several days on it but none of it works exactly as you'd expect.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

As I added more platforms bigbox takes longer to launch.  

That does make sense. Startup speed is definitely affected by the size of your collection. As will in-app performance, but much less so. Huge libraries are not a problem anymore, but you will find that things do get slightly slower as you add more stuff. That's mostly unavoidable, just the nature of software and data. Of course hardware matters a lot too.

@FistyDollars Maybe it's collection-specific then. Can you try PMing me your data folder? I'll need to know what games are causing the issue as well.

I updated the Vlc.DotNet library to the latest version so it's probably related to that, though the previous version had other issues so I don't really want to downgrade. It hasn't been a very reliable library which is the reason for the VLC-related stability issues in LaunchBox itself, but ripping it out at this point would take some serious time.

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

That does make sense. Startup speed is definitely affected by the size of your collection. As will in-app performance, but much less so. Huge libraries are not a problem anymore, but you will find that things do get slightly slower as you add more stuff. That's mostly unavoidable, just the nature of software and data. Of course hardware matters a lot too.

I may consider reducing my collection or having a few installs of launchbox to compensate for speed.

5 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

What type of specs are recommended to run BigBox without Lag?  

I've been testing on an 8-year-old Core 2 Quad with 8 gigs of RAM, and it seems to do fine with my collection of ~15,000 games. I've tested it with City Hunter and the default theme and it does fine with no slow down over time. Certainly lower hardware can be used but I think if you go much lower than that you'll need to start turning off effects and videos and such. These days you can literally get a machine similar to my base test unit for around $100, so you can't really go wrong there.

For the lower-end I'm more concerned with mobile devices like the GPD Win, which still can be a smooth experience with a bit of the effects turned off.

While on the topic of speed, I find Big Box is much faster than Launchbox when it comes to switching platforms, or switching between Platforms and Playlists, etc.  Big Box is almost instant while in Launchbox the blue ball usually spins 5-15 seconds.  Is that normal?  I've got about 25,000 roms. 

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I should do some testing with this theme then. Good to know.

I have noticed some random freezes with the Minimal AO theme as well,sometimes up to 5 to 6 seconds when entering the games view from the platform view and then other times it is fine. I didnt notice this before the different themes per platform feature. Minimal A-O is a awesome theme as well.

I'm on 7.14 and really wanted to try the Minimal AO theme, but all I get is poltergeist TV for each game I land on. Not sure if it's a bug or I'm just missing something. I normally just use the default BB theme since everything works in that one.

Capture.JPG