LaunchBox Community Forums

7.12-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

"Per the startup video sound playing at the same time, noted; that makes sense. "

hopefully it can be done if both options are on at the same time, that the sound plays when the video is finished but have the assets still load while the vid is playing to continue to mask pop in for slower hdds. And hopefully game category vids will be easier to add now so that it can serve the same purpose.

• Like 1

@Jason Carr One other thing I have experienced in the new beta with the startup vid improvements is a couple of times my keyboard keys have been non resposive when BigBox starts up. The only thing I can do is Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get out, even ESC will not work. This is random as it does not happen every time.

• Like 1

Not to hijack the beta thread, but all of a sudden my 12.1 beta crashes on launch after not using it for a couple days.  I run the EXE, get a brief blip of the Launchbox splash screen, and then "Launchbox has stopped working".  Nothing has changed in the computer aside from installing a new video card (1080 woo!), so i'm not sure what could be causing the issue.  Does LB write a debug log anywhere that i could check out to see what could be causing it?  Is there a spot i can manually download an installer for the latest beta so that i can reinstall?  Thanks for the help guys, as always.

2 minutes ago, Feez said:

Is there a spot i can manually download an installer for the latest beta so that i can reinstall?  Thanks for the help guys, as always.

If you go into your Launchbox/Updates folder there should be updates in there including the one you are currently running. You can just install any of them directly over the top of your Launchbox install.

• Like 1

Alright! Beta 4 is out now which should hopefully fix all of the remaining issues with the startup videos:

• Fixed startup video getting cut off slightly for long startup videos
  • Fixed startup sound playing at the same time as the startup video
  • Startup video will now show up on whatever screen is marked as the primary screen in Big Box (previously always showed up on the first screen of the system)
  • Fixed startup video causing issues with Big Box not being focused on startup (hopefully at least)

Curious to know if anyone has any further issues with keys not working in Big Box on startup; that is simply caused by Big Box not being in focus once started up. Of course you can alt-tab to fix it if it happens, but we want to avoid it altogether. I've fixed it on my system but it is notorious for being a difficult issue to fix. Also, please let me know if anyone is seeing any further issues with the startup videos, or if the above fixes aren't working for you.

Tomorrow I will be live streaming implementing the "different themes for each platform" item from the poll, which should get us fairly close to the next official release. :)

Thanks all!

• Like 11

On 10/1/2017 at 11:17 PM, lordmonkus said:

Coming to the forums ranting about how "LB sucks, why you no listen to my awesome ideas ? If you don't listen to me you will fail"

HAHAHAHAHA. I'm a sucker for the "WHY YOU NO" style lol. Why YOU NO SPEAKA DE ENGLISH? Why YOU NO DEVELAP? Why YOU CALL ME GARABAGE?

I wish we could have signatures. I would so quote you here Monkus removing the quotations marks to make it look like you said it lol ;-)

Edited by JamesBond@ge

On 10/2/2017 at 6:43 PM, lordmonkus said:

Option B is my preferred way of doing it.

Definitely. It is so easy just to collect up shortcuts into folders and drag and drop them into LaunchBox. I then treat shortcuts as if they were Rom files, naming them meticulously so they scrape well which you can't really do with .exe files. Those folders then sit in with my main Rom collection.

I've used this method for these platforms:

• Windows (Indie Games)
  • Windows (Homebrew Games)
  • Windows (Retail Games)
  • OpenBOR
  • MUGEN
  • Big Fish Games
  • PopCap Games
  • GameTop.com Games

As has been said before though, removing the "need" to choose an emulator for these guys would be nice. A fair few times I've gone to play or open one of these only to be greeted with the 4DO emulator heh. Other than that, never had a problem with the .lnk method. It's great.

Alright guys, and here's another new beta with the following:

- New Premium Feature: Different themes for each platform can now be used in Big Box; simply map a key or controller button to the new "Switch Theme" item under Options > Keyboard Mappings or Options > Controller Buttons

- Fixed: Refreshing platform wheel images in Big Box was not working in some cases

We could definitely use some extensive testing on the new "different themes for each platform" features, so let me know how that goes. Happy weekend everybody. :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright guys, and here's another new beta with the following:

- New Premium Feature: Different themes for each platform can now be used in Big Box; simply map a key or controller button to the new "Switch Theme" item under Options > Keyboard Mappings or Options > Controller Buttons

- Fixed: Refreshing platform wheel images in Big Box was not working in some cases

We could definitely use some extensive testing on the new "different themes for each platform" features, so let me know how that goes. Happy weekend everybody. :)

Wow! Another very nice additional option! The theme selection box which pops up (when you want to switch themes) could look a bit more attractive and a little less archaic but perhaps that can be fixed within the themes and by the theme creators? Also, depending on which theme you're using, the text in the theme selection box is sometimes near-invisible, and I have no idea what theme I selected. Other than these minor issues, it seems to be working very smoothly here :) Great work!

Edited by bundangdon