LaunchBox Community Forums

A better and modern LaunchBox

Biyakuga

Dear Developers,

I think it is time to update icons for this great product you have including LaunchBox icon itself , any software gets icons update by time for a modern and more flat icons and UI/UX enhancement to match the standard (Windows 10/ Material Design and such on...)

I know some people think this kind of stuff are worthless and new features are more important but be sure that this is not true and this kind of improvement should not be neglect and have to be done as soon as possible in my opinion 

Thanks and hope you will read it and take care of it.

Edited by Biyakuga

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Don't get your hopes up. I only say this because you only have 3 posts here on the forums and all of them relate to the UI. But @Jason Carr has far more important things to improve upon than the "look" of the UI which is perfectly fine for what it is right now.

what is my post count have to do for the subject ? I just want a modern icons at least and it is something not that hard to do 

11 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Yeah, better change that icon so that it's comprised of simple flat colors like Material.

LB_Logo_1000x1000.png

Oh wait...

come on you really think this icon is modern and describe what launchbox is for ?

look here (colors make a big change):

https://www.google.co.il/search?q=launchbox&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJncqQnK3XAhWHIewKHRTlB9sQ_AUICigB&biw=1886&bih=921#imgdii=yG4G04fgo2_rMM:&imgrc=4TIfAn8zhDsEOM:

or

https://www.google.co.il/search?q=launchbox&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJncqQnK3XAhWHIewKHRTlB9sQ_AUICigB&biw=1886&bih=921#imgrc=4TIfAn8zhDsEOM:

1 minute ago, Biyakuga said:

what is my post count have to do for the subject ? I just want a modern icons at least and it is something not that hard to do

It's simply that you have what was 3 and now 4 posts asking for something that is not needed and nobody but you asking for.

If all you want is an updated icon feel free to make and use your own, it's not hard. But if you want a whole rework of the entire UI then Jason has far more important things to work on, believe me, he has a list a mile long of more important "functional" improvements he has to get done at some point.

4 minutes ago, Biyakuga said:

come on you really think this icon is modern and describe what launchbox is for ?

Yes. It's the Launchbox icon. I see it and think of Launchbox. Dozens or hundreds of pieces of various art materials that other users have made over the years incorporate the icon into them, because it represents Launchbox. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative.

4 minutes ago, Biyakuga said:

You do know you can just change them if you don't like them right? Either via a windows shortcut -> change icon or changing the .exe's icon itself via something like Resource Hacker. Nothing's stopping you from changing them if you don't like them.

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

It's simply that you have what was 3 and now 4 posts asking for something that is not needed and nobody but you asking for.

If all you want is an updated icon feel free to make and use your own, it's not hard. But if you want a whole rework of the entire UI then Jason has far more important things to work on, believe me, he has a list a mile long of more important "functional" improvements he has to get done at some point.

Could you tell me some of the important feature that you guys waiting for ?

and I never post in the forum because there was no need to but after I moved to Windows 10 I wanted launchbox icon to match my other modern icons on my taskbar

1 minute ago, Biyakuga said:

Could you tell me some of the important feature that you guys waiting for ?

and I never post in the forum because there was no need to but after I moved to Windows 10 I wanted launchbox icon to match my other modern icons on my taskbar

There's plenty of them in the "small things" thread. Just read through it.

Just now, Zombeaver said:

Ok I will (thank you) and yes I know but I can not change the icons inside the program and if I remember right after a new update I need to change the icon again 

Just now, Biyakuga said:

but I can not change the icons inside the program

I'm not sure what this means. What icons in the program? Nearly everything in LB is just images that are user-supplied (box art, screenshots, etc.).

If you use Big Box, you can just use a theme that better suits your tastes. That's what they're there for.

2 minutes ago, Biyakuga said:

if I remember right after a new update I need to change the icon again

That could be, I'm not sure. You wouldn't if you were just doing it with a shortcut though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Biyakuga

I attached an ICO you can use, if you wish, if you want to modify a shortcut (you would be correct that the icon would revert back to what it is now if you modified the existing EXE since it would be overwritten every time a new version is released). Being you were talking about matching Windows 10, it's just flat white, so nothing special or fancy, but matches the existing icons for the Start Menu, Xbox App, Store, etc.

Totally not trolling you :D; just trying to help out. I don't think it's an unreasonable request, but like has been said, if it is even something on Jason's radar to do, it's probably not very high and I think most are okay with what already exists.

lb-icon.ico

On 11/7/2017 at 9:57 PM, Zombeaver said:

4 hours ago, onebadveggie said:

I make all my own icons for my dock on my PC, I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for?Launchbox.thumb.png.933e42e4ee5b40a6eb92572bc5ae399c.png 

Yes this is it ! thank a lot 

if you could please remove the blue background, add .ico file so I can put it as an icon and do you have a different icon for the big picture mode ?

and 1 more question do you know any trick to make it last for ever and do not get removed after the program get a new update ?

3 hours ago, Biyakuga said:

Yes this is it ! thank a lot 

if you could please remove the blue background, add .ico file so I can put it as an icon and do you have a different icon for the big picture mode ?

and 1 more question do you know any trick to make it last for ever and do not get removed after the program get a new update ?

I launch in Big Box mode, so no, I do not have a different one, but I mean, it's such a simple picture, you can swap colors easily with any paintbucket tool. As for saving it forever? I mean, you could upload it to some sort of cloud service?

Also, I did convert it for you, but when converting to an .ico it shrinks the picture, so I've got the orginal edited picture + and the .ico version. 

Launchbox.ico

Launchbox.png

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, onebadveggie said:

I launch in Big Box mode, so no, I do not have a different one, but I mean, it's such a simple picture, you can swap colors easily with any paintbucket tool. As for saving it forever? I mean, you could upload it to some sort of cloud service?

Also, I did convert it for you, but when converting to an .ico it shrinks the picture, so I've got the orginal edited picture + and the .ico version. 

Launchbox.ico

Launchbox.png

Should I use. Ico or png?

Moreover after a new update the old icon come back that what I meant by "forever"