LaunchBox Community Forums

RocketLauncher error with LaunchBox for Pinball FX2

Kilroy5150

19 minutes ago, kmoney said:

@Kilroy5150 Although that is a Rocketlauncher error and really doesnt have to do with Launchbox, I will try to help you but need a liitle more info. Are you using the Steam version of Pinball FX2 or the standalone version?

Stand-Alone "Pinball Fx2.exe"

The odd thing is, when i launch (With RocketLauncherUI), i don't get the error. I get it using LaunchBox's preset config fo RL. Keep in mind i'm not using the UI version (when using launchbox) but the regular RocketLauncher.exe

Edited by Kilroy5150

39 minutes ago, Kilroy5150 said:

Stand-Alone "Pinball Fx2.exe"

The odd thing is, when i launch (With RocketLauncherUI), i don't get the error. I get it using LaunchBox's preset config fo RL. Keep in mind i'm not using the UI version (when using launchbox) but the regular RocketLauncher.exe

Ok...gotcha. I use the Pinball FX2 Steam version with RocketLauncher through LaunchBox with no issues. I am not sure if you read the RocketLauncher module notes on Pinball FX2 but I will paste them here and maybe will be of some help.

Notes:
; If launching as a Steam game:
; When setting this up in RocketLauncherUI under the global emulators tab, make sure to select it as a Virtual Emulator. Also no rom extensions, executable, or rom paths need to be defined. You can put an extension of pxp if you want RLUI audit to work however. It will not affect launching.
; Set Skip Checks to "Rom and Emu" when using this module as roms do not exist.
;
; If not launching through Steam:
; Add this as any other standard emulator and define the PInball FX2.exe as your executable, but still select Virtual Emulator as you do not need rom extensions or rom paths
;

; When setting this up in RocketLauncherUI under the global emulators tab, make sure to set rom extensions to pxp
; Also make your rom path the Pinball FX2\data_steam folder if you want audit to show green

30 minutes ago, kmoney said:

Ok...gotcha. I use the Pinball FX2 Steam version with RocketLauncher through LaunchBox with no issues. I am not sure if you read the RocketLauncher module notes on Pinball FX2 but I will paste them here and maybe will be of some help.

Notes:
; If launching as a Steam game:
; When setting this up in RocketLauncherUI under the global emulators tab, make sure to select it as a Virtual Emulator. Also no rom extensions, executable, or rom paths need to be defined. You can put an extension of pxp if you want RLUI audit to work however. It will not affect launching.
;
; If not launching through Steam:
; Add this as any other standard emulator and define the PInball FX2.exe as your executable, but still select Virtual Emulator as you do not need rom extensions or rom paths
;

; When setting this up in RocketLauncherUI under the global emulators tab, make sure to set rom extensions to pxp
; Also make your rom path the Pinball FX2\data_steam folder if you want audit to show green

Did all that. Maybe i'm doing something wrong on the LaunchBox side. When i import roms, i usually classify "Pinball FX2" as "Pinball" in the category considering i've never seen a built-in module for Pinball FX2....Could this be causing it?  

Because i made all the changes (had 80% of it set up right to begin with). I just keep getting that error.

Yes, the platform should be named Pinball FX2 inside of Launchbox. You should also have a RocketLauncher\Settings\Pinball FX2\Emulators.ini folder inside of RocketLauncher as well if you are using the Pinball FX2 module. Mine reads like this:

[ROMS]
Default_Emulator=Pinball FX2
Rom_Path=

Yours might read a little different if you are using standalone version but the Default_Emulator=Pinball FX2 should be the same.

1 hour ago, kmoney said:

Yes, the platform should be named Pinball FX2 inside of Launchbox. You should also have a RocketLauncher\Settings\Pinball FX2\Emulators.ini folder inside of RocketLauncher as well if you are using the Pinball FX2 module. Mine reads like this:

[ROMS]
Default_Emulator=Pinball FX2
Rom_Path=

Yours might read a little different if you are using standalone version but the Default_Emulator=Pinball FX2 should be the same.

Yes, my ini reads the same but, inside Launchbox (And i downloaded the 7.14 version...When i choose  "category/platform" there is no listing that says "Pinball FX2" only "Pinball" and it's a clean install. Is this some custom module that was made outside of the generic install?5a0110a347abd_Screenshot(88).thumb.png.01dbc9149ddb617a31d70efca3cf3306.png

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

You don't have to use the list you can type whatever you want in there

I'm lost then. I've tried everything i've been told and it doesn't seem to make a difference with LaunchBox. Considering that RocketLauncher works (with it's UI) it seems only logical that the settings (in LaunchBox) must have lost something in translation or the "generic" settings from RL in Launchbox might be missing something. I wanted to make LB my defacto launcher but this is the first time i've been, literally, stone-walled when installing a new emulator. Not that Pinball FX is the most "flexible" emulator in the world but, considering it works with RockLauncherUI without any errors, then gets them when running through LaunchBox, it just seems logical something on LaunchBox is set wrong. I get that the other guy said it's an even a LaunchBox error (assuming he meant is was a RL error)....but if it's stritcly an RL error, why is it only happening when lanuching through LauchBox? 

I don't know my comment was only on where you are saying you don't see a platform name Pinball FX2 and my point was if something isn't in that list you can type in a custom name for the platform. I don't use RL at all and have very little experience with it.

Did you change the name of the platform to Pinball FX2 like @DOS76 mentioned up above? You can type in that box Pinball FX2 as you do not have to only choose whats in the dropdown menu. The platform has to be called Pinball FX2 to work with RocketLauncher properly. You could call it something else but that requires more workarounds. Easiest just to call it Pinball FX2

7 hours ago, Kilroy5150 said:

That was it.

Wow, never would have imagined it was in a name. I know i named the emulator "Pinball FX2" but didn't know you meant both.

Thanx :)

Glad you got it sorted out. It definitely makes it easier to get Rocketlauncher to work with LaunchBox correctly if you have the platforms named by Rocketlauncher naming.