LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's PCSX2 Configs / Simple 1-Click Installs With PCSX2 Configurator

Zombeaver

@Dane The .MDF (Media Descriptor File) file is the important one, the .MDS (Media Descriptor Sidecar) file is essentially a cue-sheet (like with .bin/.cue files). This is a propriety disc image format used by Alcohol 120%, and developed back when it was trendy for every piece of disc burning software to have it's own format. I would personally convert it to the standardised .iso format with something Like UltraIso (My preferred)/MagicIso/PowerIso/IsoBuster/etc. but the .MDF file should still work just fine. You can read more about the file type here. I was also surprised to find Alcohol 120% is still even a thing after all these years, with a latest stable release of February this year.

To answer the second part of your question PCSX2 can load the following disc image file types:

.iso (standard single track image)
.mdf (Alcohol 120% format)
.ngr (Nero format)
.bin (multi-track disc image)
.img (standard mirror image, may contain multi-track data)
.gz  (G-Zip Compressed Image)
.cso (Compressed Iso)

Edited by alec100_94
  • Thanks 1

I've just used the plugin to download config files for around 80 games - thanks to you guys for creating both the plugin and the configs, they're a real timesaver - but thought you might like to know that there appears to be issues with a few games.

When I click to download a config for Devil May Cry 3 ID#16, it instead downloads a config for Ring of Red ID#16726. I don't even have this game installed. I tried removing the config and downloading it again, but with the same result.

When I click to download a config for Metal Gear Solid 3 ID#44, it actually downloads the config for Ace Combat Zero ID#4422.

I notice that both the games that suffer from this behaviour have double digit IDs and have been replaced by configs that share the same two digits as part of a longer ID number.

When I attempt to download the config for Disgaea 2 ID#7215, it does download the config, but immediately crashes Launchbox 9.0 with a 'Cannot create a file when that file already exists' error. I also tried removing this config and redownloading, but with the same results.

Edited by Cavey
Adding more detail

The ID's you've scraped for DMC3 and MGS3 are wrong; or to be more specific they're the wrong versions of those games.

The Devil May Cry 3 config is for Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, which has an ID of 4930.

image.thumb.png.bb63ab1c02212184b4d06dd52da73d34.pngThe Metal Gear Solid 3 config is for Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, which has an ID of 6378.

image.thumb.png.d565d1b737bb31db10064e8500285e72.pngIf you look at their IDs on github, they match what's listed above.

https://github.com/Zombeaver/PCSX2-Configs/tree/master/Game Configs

I just tested both and both downloaded correctly. That said, if you've got incorrect IDs, it shouldn't download anything at all (assuming they're not among my configs), not download the wrong ones, so the two-digit thing may need some attention. They shouldn't match at all, not match the wrong game.

Your ID for Disgaea 2 is correct. I am getting that error as well, I'm not sure what the deal is there. It might be something new resulting from 9.0, I'm not sure. It worked when I originally uploaded it as I test downloading everything immediately afterwards. @alec100_94 may need to take a look at that.

• Like 1

Yes, I see you're correct. My versions of those games are not the versions that you've actually released a config for. I was in a bit of a rush, so I just clicked on every game in my collection and if the download option lit up, then I accepted it. I hope the info helps you out anyway and I hope you continue to release these configs as they're a huge help.

@Cavey Ok, so the issue here is the copying of the .pnach file which already exists. I'll fix the issue when I get around to it, but for now delete the config from your config's folder (ini's by default), and delete the pnach (951555A0.pnach for Disgaea 2) from PCSX2's cheats folder and you should be good to re-download the config.

Hey there, I haven't been on the forums in a long while. Nice to see the updated version of the plug-in for LB Next. I was wondering if and how I could transfer all my old configurations over to the new plug-in settings.

Also, the forum page for the plug-in itself does not seem to work:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/47072-pcsx2-configurator-next/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-297733

Edited by mssngr

On 11/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, alec100_94 said:

@Cavey Ok, so the issue here is the copying of the .pnach file which already exists. I'll fix the issue when I get around to it, but for now delete the config from your config's folder (ini's by default), and delete the pnach (951555A0.pnach for Disgaea 2) from PCSX2's cheats folder and you should be good to re-download the config.

I had tried deleting the remote folder previously, but had no idea about having to delete the pnach file. I did as you said and now have the Disgaea 2 config fully working. Thanks.

15 hours ago, mssngr said:

Hey there, I haven't been on the forums in a long while. Nice to see the updated version of the plug-in for LB Next. I was wondering if and how I could transfer all my old configurations over to the new plug-in settings.

Also, the forum page for the plug-in itself does not seem to work:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/47072-pcsx2-configurator-next/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-297733

Nevermind, It looks like I spoke too soon. All my old configurations seem to be inplace.

The forum page for pcsx2-configurator-next is still not accessible :

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/47072-pcsx2-configurator-next/

thank you for the effort but tbh a lot of the configs are pretty bad on my pc. (intel i5 cpu AMD gpu)

Got tons of performances issues even if my pc specs is not that old.

I guess in the end emulators settings are very dependant on your pc's components.

At least I've got an easy way to make game specific settings now.

You can try D3D11, though forewarning most of the configs that use GL do so for a reason - I normally start testing in D3D and then switch to GL if there are problems. GL is more accurate, but doesn't have access to MSAA. In some cases there are visual errors/inaccuracies present in D3D that don't exist in GL, and most of the time that GL is used in the configs it's for this reason; that or just because D3D performs particularly poorly for specific games.

• 4 weeks later...

has or does anyone know what configs/video settings to adjust for these games

Sega ages virtua fighter 2 and fighting vipers

no matter what setings i use the games look a total mess. I've tried forcing the driver as my 970, using opengl, dx9 and 11. Practically everything I can think of yet they just look a mess.

i switch it all off and use native settings and even that appears to run badly (the vf2 characters are all black, vf runs slow) and I'm not sure what's the issue

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, PowerCooker said:

has or does anyone know what configs/video settings to adjust for these games

Sega ages virtua fighter 2 and fighting vipers 

no matter what settings i use the games look a total mess. I've tried forcing the driver as my 970, using opengl, dx9 and 11. Practically everything I can think of yet they just look a mess.

i switch it all off and use native settings and even that appears to run badly (the vf2 characters are all black, vf runs slow) and I'm not sure what's the issue

When a game doesn't work on a system, you should always check the emulators compatibility list, which in pcsx2's case is https://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html

https://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Sega_Ages_2500_Series_Vol._16:_Virtua_Fighter_2
https://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Sega_Ages_2500_Series_Vol._19:_Fighting_Vipers

Also, as these are actually sega games, you could look for either the arcade versions and use the Model 2 emulator, or find the Saturn version.

4 minutes ago, proghodet said:

When a game doesn't work on a system, you should always check the emulators compatibility list, which in pcsx2's case is https://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html

This is sound advice in general, but I can tell you that for PCSX2, specifically, their compatibility wiki is notoriously inaccurate and/or out of date. It's not entirely without merit, but it's by no means reliable.