LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's PCSX2 Configs / Simple 1-Click Installs With PCSX2 Configurator

Zombeaver

4 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

You also run into diminishing returns with the internal resolution once you get above 4x, which accounts for almost all of the configs to begin with.

Can you explain this a bit further, about diminishing returns? Is this true for all systems, ps1, ds etc? :D 

Edited by fromlostdays

Well I mean you eventually reach a point where it just doesn't make much of a difference. You can notice a decent amount of visual improvement (decreased jaggies) each 1x step up through 4x, but beyond that the improvement starts to drop off pretty dramatically, and you need MSAA at that point to make it look any better.

This is on a 1080p screen, mind you. It might be more noticeable on a higher resolution screen, but at 1080p, 1-2x look quite bad. 3x looks noticeably better but still not great. 4x looks noticeably better than that. 5x+ you can take screenshots and go back and forth between it and 4x and have a hard time spotting any major difference.

As far as being true of all systems, I mean yeah. At the end of the day you can only improve things so much - textures are static images and there are only so many polygons in models. Again though, that diminishing point is gonna vary depending on what you're viewing it on.

• Thanks 2

I was noticing the same thing, I think. More than that, the hardware renderer for ps1 lets me ramp up to like 8x+, but it introduces some glitches to my favorite game. The software renderer, I can barely squeeze out 4x but it pretty much looks the same to me either way. It's a tad bit sharper at 8x, but at a certain point, that doesn't do much. Desktop resolution at 1080, but the TV is 4k. I'm just glad to confirm that I don't have to stress on pushing it passed 4x so much. 

Thanks!

On 1/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, HerrSchiller said:
  • Jak 2
  •  

Devs broke the game in a very old commit that had to do with vsync. Also, me when trying to config it:

download.jpeg.a7847942d113e0e49ca46dee49e7e9a7.jpeg

Jak II commit that broke the game: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/commit/c8a7a709dcc33172bc252fb6ac7f2fb75da65605

Only fix is downgrading (lol yeah right) or increasing the EE cyclerate to 180% or higher, it won't remove all of the slowdowns but most will be gone.

Also can anybody confirm if OGL HW + High blending accuracy fixes the black eyes in Jak? A video on YT showed it but I don't believe it.

Just now, SpiffyJUNIOR said:

Also can anybody confirm if OGL HW + High blending accuracy fixes the black eyes in Jak? A video on YT showed it but I don't believe it.

The last time I had tried it, you had to switch to software and then back to hardware for them to render correctly.

• 1 month later...

I'm a new Launchbox User, about to purchase my Big box license. I've done some emulating in the past. I just wanted to say this is amazing and I can't wait to try this! I've used PCx2 in the past and it was a pain setting things up on a game by game basis. By any chance do you have plans to do Fight Night Round 3? That game always had terrible graphical glitches. It's probably a lost cause. Thanks for making this.

40 minutes ago, mattdawson75 said:

I'm a new Launchbox User, about to purchase my Big box license. I've done some emulating in the past. I just wanted to say this is amazing and I can't wait to try this! I've used PCx2 in the past and it was a pain setting things up on a game by game basis. 

Welcome! Happy to help!

42 minutes ago, mattdawson75 said:

By any chance do you have plans to do Fight Night Round 3? That game always had terrible graphical glitches. It's probably a lost cause.

I've added it to my list. I can't guarantee when I'll be able to get to it though. I've got a lot of projects on my hands at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Loving this plugin and configuration list - thought it sensible to contribute. State of Emergency benefits from a couple of tweaks on the existing dev builds as still suffers from odd "black square overlays" during game play in some areas. Using "Large Framebuffer" removes this issue. Allow 8 bit textures seems to aid smoothness moving between level zones,

No HW hacks required, 4 x resolution, Auto CRC, mipmapping and defaults for accurate data/blending.

StateOfEmergency.png

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this it is so useful.  I tweak my own things for my own games/settings but being able to save individual settings is perfect.

I have Burnout 3 running like a peach with these settings if you have a similar setup.

Intel Core i7 6700k, 16gb ddr 3, nvdia geforce gtx 980 (4gb)

1798855526_burnout3settings.thumb.png.13341c78a09368c110d406067ba012e1.png

Just as a heads up, I've been trying the latest dev build and am in the process of updating configs to match. As I mentioned a while back, they removed MSAA in newer builds and it would seem that they're not planning on re-implementing it any time soon, if ever. In lieu of MSAA, I've been reworking configs and upping the upscaling to 6x in most cases. In D3D11, there is a noticeable difference between 4x and 6x although in truth it's not a 1-to-1 replacement for MSAA, despite what the devs would probably like you to believe, since "just increase the upscaling" is their token answer when people ask about putting MSAA back in. 4x upscaling + 4x MSAA simply looks better than 6x upscaling and no MSAA, but not by a ton. The good news is, 6x upscaling, in my experience, seems to be less hardware intensive than 4x upscaling and 4x MSAA. GL, for whatever reason, seems as though it has an upward resolution limit (although there's no indication of this in the UI) that might be based on your native resolution, I'm not entirely sure; this also seems to vary somewhat from game to game. This has been the case for a while and, even at just 4x with no other difference in settings, D3D just looks better - at 6x the difference is even more dramatic. I could post side by side screenshot comparisons, but just take my word for it. In the past, GL has always been the more accurate renderer, and in truth this is still technically true, but recent improvements have narrowed the gap pretty significantly. As an example, in the .hack games I used to use GL because D3D was missing shadows. This is no longer the case.

The end result of this is that some games are going to look better after the updates are complete (games that used to require GL that no longer have issues in D3D) and some games are going to look a little bit worse (games that I used to have setup to use MSAA). The changes, overall, will be positive though. I have a growing stack of new stuff that I want to add in, so I'll be working on that once updates are done (which is going to take some time). I won't be pushing the updates through until all of them are done, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up in the meantime to let you know it's coming and to be prepared to update your version of PCSX2. Something to keep in mind is that you'll want to transition any savestates you have to traditional memory card saves prior to updating PCSX2 because, unless you're already on a very recent version, chances are they'll no longer work after updating (memory cards still work between them though).

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Just as a heads up, I've been trying the latest dev build and am in the process of updating configs to match.

Would you mind listing which point version your using. Sometimes it seems changes between points cause unexpected conflicts so I like to stay with the one you're using.

can anyone give any tips for Okami please?  I have messed around for nearly 2 hours trying to stop it being blurry but constantly getting issues with Open GL and Direct3d11.  

I have an Intel Core i7 6700k, 16gb ddr 3, nvdia geforce gtx 980 (4gb)

I am using the current build of PCSX2.

402948299_Screenshot-30_08_201922_59_53.thumb.png.d01d0ddca23faf21d68208db53e4bf8e.png

Also when taking a screenshot of a 3d platformer the screen is blurry so clear shots only come when stationary.  Yet driving games, The Getaway etc are fine?

EDIT: Okami sorted now.  The current builds do not work for me with Okami so I have returned to 1.4 and it works perfectly.

Edited by qupe75

29 minutes ago, alec100_94 said:

@qupe75 I'm sure I had Okami running pretty well under PCSX2 before, can't remember the exact settings though. My honest recommendation would be to get Okami HD for PC, and play that, as it's clearly the definitive version of the game. 154307787_Screenshot-01_09_201918_50_41.thumb.png.e5e2d86fd724bed7916a97896f73face.png

Yeah I mostly use the current builds and the configurator tool but Okami just wouldn't work for me using the latest build.

I have loaded Okami in 1.4 (the stable build) and it looks a good now, a few more tweaks and I'm there..

It's not that the current build "doesn't work" and 1.4 does, it's that 1.4 literally doesn't render certain graphical elements (which make the game blurrier, but are part of the game) at all. In earlier versions of 1.5.0 you could disable them by setting the CRC level to "full". In the current version it needs to be set to "aggressive". Again though, by doing that you're actually removing graphical elements that are supposed to be there. The game itself is blurry/bloomy. It's supposed to look like everything is covered in rice paper. If you look at the game in software rendering (the most accurate renderer) it's blurry there as well. If you don't want that, you can eliminate it by setting the CRC level to "aggressive". That's a less accurate representation though, and certain elements won't look right, especially with the Celestial Brush.

Current 1.5.0 with CRC level set to "aggressive":

image.thumb.png.dd5babe278cf6657780f36ba671cd888.pngCurrent 1.5.0 with CRC level set to lower than "aggressive":
image.thumb.png.d6e6151aef2f599944a2847087b617b4.pngCurrent 1.5.0 in software rendering:image.thumb.png.b7fd3dd67804af95116c88f23636ccfa.pngCertain graphical elements look completely different when you set the CRC to aggressive though. It's clearer yes, but it's debatable that it's better. A lot of the artistic style is completely changed in the process. The whole thing is supposed to look like a sumi-e painting, and it really doesn't when you eliminate the bloom, blur, ink paper overlay, and other post processing elements.

Aggressive CRC:
image.thumb.png.0c158411d42439d0f9a90584bc808269.png

Software:image.thumb.png.bca5e3e255475be3fee01de50ca4a9ef.png

Using the Celestial Brush with Aggressive CRC:

image.thumb.png.85d821797fb14e887c860af44fb65ac5.pngUsing the Celestial Brush in Software:

image.thumb.png.e2c80a78a38172e3574109f356d79702.pngAs alec said, your actual best bet is to play the remastered PC version. Barring that you can adjust the CRC level to your liking with the current version.

In the future I'd recommend looking at the settings spreadsheet that I have a link to in the opening post if you're curious about settings for a particular game that I've already done. You could have saved yourself that time since this information is already there.