LaunchBox Community Forums
Zombeaver

Zombeaver's PCSX2 Configs / Simple 1-Click Installs With PCSX2 Configurator

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

You also run into diminishing returns with the internal resolution once you get above 4x, which accounts for almost all of the configs to begin with.

Can you explain this a bit further, about diminishing returns? Is this true for all systems, ps1, ds etc? :D 

Edited by fromlostdays

Well I mean you eventually reach a point where it just doesn't make much of a difference. You can notice a decent amount of visual improvement (decreased jaggies) each 1x step up through 4x, but beyond that the improvement starts to drop off pretty dramatically, and you need MSAA at that point to make it look any better.

This is on a 1080p screen, mind you. It might be more noticeable on a higher resolution screen, but at 1080p, 1-2x look quite bad. 3x looks noticeably better but still not great. 4x looks noticeably better than that. 5x+ you can take screenshots and go back and forth between it and 4x and have a hard time spotting any major difference.

As far as being true of all systems, I mean yeah. At the end of the day you can only improve things so much - textures are static images and there are only so many polygons in models. Again though, that diminishing point is gonna vary depending on what you're viewing it on.

• Thanks 1

I was noticing the same thing, I think. More than that, the hardware renderer for ps1 lets me ramp up to like 8x+, but it introduces some glitches to my favorite game. The software renderer, I can barely squeeze out 4x but it pretty much looks the same to me either way. It's a tad bit sharper at 8x, but at a certain point, that doesn't do much. Desktop resolution at 1080, but the TV is 4k. I'm just glad to confirm that I don't have to stress on pushing it passed 4x so much. 

Thanks!

On 1/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, HerrSchiller said:
  • Jak 2
  •  

Devs broke the game in a very old commit that had to do with vsync. Also, me when trying to config it:

download.jpeg.a7847942d113e0e49ca46dee49e7e9a7.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, Synergy said:

Hi Zombeaver, any plans for Ar Tonelico configs?

Eventually, yeah. I've just had a lot on my plate lately with various projects. Only so many hours in the day :(

Jak II commit that broke the game: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/commit/c8a7a709dcc33172bc252fb6ac7f2fb75da65605

Only fix is downgrading (lol yeah right) or increasing the EE cyclerate to 180% or higher, it won't remove all of the slowdowns but most will be gone.

Also can anybody confirm if OGL HW + High blending accuracy fixes the black eyes in Jak? A video on YT showed it but I don't believe it.

Just now, SpiffyJUNIOR said:

Also can anybody confirm if OGL HW + High blending accuracy fixes the black eyes in Jak? A video on YT showed it but I don't believe it.

The last time I had tried it, you had to switch to software and then back to hardware for them to render correctly.

I'm a new Launchbox User, about to purchase my Big box license. I've done some emulating in the past. I just wanted to say this is amazing and I can't wait to try this! I've used PCx2 in the past and it was a pain setting things up on a game by game basis. By any chance do you have plans to do Fight Night Round 3? That game always had terrible graphical glitches. It's probably a lost cause. Thanks for making this.

40 minutes ago, mattdawson75 said:

I'm a new Launchbox User, about to purchase my Big box license. I've done some emulating in the past. I just wanted to say this is amazing and I can't wait to try this! I've used PCx2 in the past and it was a pain setting things up on a game by game basis. 

Welcome! Happy to help!

42 minutes ago, mattdawson75 said:

By any chance do you have plans to do Fight Night Round 3? That game always had terrible graphical glitches. It's probably a lost cause.

I've added it to my list. I can't guarantee when I'll be able to get to it though. I've got a lot of projects on my hands at the moment.