LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Can you zip up and send me your LaunchBox\Data folder so I can figure this out @shinra358? As always, make sure to PM it instead of posting it here for privacy reasons. Are you using a 360 controller?

Sent. Happens on game view and game details view before unlocking. And the dev I was talking about earlier is Ryochan7.

Edited by shinra358

Theres already an option for that. But if the windows prompt is getting in your way, because it needs to be run in admin mode, then i see your problem. I made an app for that. If youre using msi for overclocking, my program is right for you because it allows you to overclock per game using msi game hotkey profiles. If you want to try it, lemme know and ill send you the link.

Thanks for adding community rating to auto-playlists.  That's a great feature.  Ideally, I think it would be better to have both options (star rating and community rating) in the drop down menu instead of changing a global setting, but this is still super useful.

The only bug I'm seeing is that many games are still displaying multiple decimals, including some like "Shenmue II" that shows "5.162034E+15" in the list view and "5162034000000" (no decimal) in the right column.   

Also now noticing that navigating in Launchbox text view is much more sluggish than before, even in a short game list (platform of playlist).  There's a noticeable delay when selecting a game before pics on the right will appear.  I'm not sure if could have anything to do with having more columns in the text view, or that I did a major metadata update to get the community ratings?

UPDATE:  Same issue with images view.

Edited by alnyden

59 minutes ago, alnyden said:

Thanks for adding community rating to auto-playlists.  That's a great feature.  Ideally, I think it would be better to have both options (star rating and community rating) in the drop down menu instead of changing a global setting, but this is still super useful.

The only bug I'm seeing is that many games are still displaying multiple decimals, including some like "Shenmue II" that shows "5.162034E+15" in the list view and "5162034000000" (no decimal) in the right column.   

Just fixed the decimal places in the list view for the next beta. I caught it everywhere else, but forgot about the list view.

16 minutes ago, alnyden said:

Also now noticing that navigating in Launchbox text view is much more sluggish than before, even in a short game list (platform of playlist).  There's a noticeable delay when selecting a game before pics on the right will appear.  I'm not sure if could have anything to do with having more columns in the text view, or that I did a major metadata update to get the community ratings?

UPDATE:  Same issue with images view.

How much of a delay are you seeing? A 0.5-second to 1-second delay is expected, considering the amount of images and data that are displayed. Obviously there's more information displayed there now than ever, so it makes sense that it might take slightly longer (though loading the achievements should be threaded so it shouldn't significantly delay loading up the information).

Early on in this beta I also fixed some flickering issues when loading up the details as well, so that might be what you're seeing. Previously as the game details sidebar was updated with new info, the presentation would flicker back and forth a bit, which it no longer does. Now it waits until it's actually ready to properly display the info before updating it. It's also more multi-threaded now, which of course is going to favor newer CPUs with more cores.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

How much of a delay are you seeing? A 0.5-second to 1-second delay is expected, considering the amount of images and data that are displayed. Obviously there's more information displayed there now than ever, so it makes sense that it might take slightly longer (though loading the achievements should be threaded so it shouldn't significantly delay loading up the information).

Early on in this beta I also fixed some flickering issues when loading up the details as well, so that might be what you're seeing. Previously as the game details sidebar was updated with new info, the presentation would flicker back and forth a bit, which it no longer does. Now it waits until it's actually ready to properly display the info before updating it. It's also more multi-threaded now, which of course is going to favor newer CPUs with more cores.

I'll double check when I get home later for accuracy but it felt like a good 3-5 seconds, and this was right after a restart of the computer.  Definitely felt like something was funky with the software or with my database, and this wasn't the case a few days ago.

1 hour ago, shinra358 said:

Scan for added/missing roms doesn't work correctly because it doesn't scan the area that you originially chose to load your roms from. I just added a nes rom and chose to scan for new roms and it told me 0 new roms found.

It wouldn't actually make much sense for it to always "remember" where you last imported a rom from, and automatically assume that's where you keep all of your roms. I've loaded roms from several different drives, including USB drives, countless times. How would it know which is my actual "library"?

If you move your roms to your local LB game folders, then it works just fine. I think you can also change the directory now (not 100% sure), but I haven't messed around with it.

Edited by GreenGriffon

It would absolutely make alot of sense. When importing, you get to choose a file or a folder. A variable can be used to retrieve the path of the things you are importing for that platform. That variable can be used for this otherwise the option of using roms in their current location is useless.

Edited by shinra358

LB looks in the default games folder for the add new rom feature to change this go to tools manage platforms edit your p latform and change the games location under folders but I have to agree that when you import your roms LB should set the games folder to where ever you imported from and not just create a default path the user may not be using.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Just fixed the decimal places in the list view for the next beta. I caught it everywhere else, but forgot about the list view.

Also look at games like "Super Metroid" which is showing "17574090000000" in the right details box.  (A bunch of games have this issue)

22 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

It's at least 3-6 seconds, it's much slower than before.  Could it be that it's looking for retroacheivements?  Is there an option to disable that?  

13 hours ago, shinra358 said:

Scan for added/missing roms doesn't work correctly because it doesn't scan the area that you originially chose to load your roms from. I just added a nes rom and chose to scan for new roms and it told me 0 new roms found.

This relies on the platform's folder being set to the correct value (Tools > Manage Platforms). I agree that we should automatically set that value in some cases, but it's tricky because we don't always want to set it and overwrite whatever the user has there. We may want to do something like only set it if it's the default path and there's no ROMs in that folder, or something of that nature.

6 minutes ago, alnyden said:

Also look at games like "Super Metroid" which is showing "17574090000000" in the right details box.  (A bunch of games have this issue)

It's at least 3-6 seconds, it's much slower than before.  Could it be that it's looking for retroacheivements?  Is there an option to disable that?  

Something awry is going on there. I haven't seen either of those issues; just confirmed that Super Metroid is displaying properly for me. Retro achievements are disabled by default until you add your Retro achievements credentials in the settings. Can you zip up and send me your LaunchBox\Data folder @alnyden? That way I can look to see exactly what's going on. Be sure to PM it to me instead of posting it here for privacy reasons.

• Like 1

Alright, beta 10 is out now guys. It includes translation updates as well as the following fixes:

- Fixed: When using the Text with Game Details view in Big Box, the logo at the top of the list was sometimes not updating

- Fixed: Viewing videos full screen from the Big Box game details menu was sometimes not showing the video

I've also spent some time trying to fix the occasional startup video black screen issue, but as I'm unable to replicate it regularly, it's both a challenge to fix and a challenge to even know if it is fixed (sigh). So it may or may not be fixed for this beta; please let me know if anyone is still seeing a black screen come up for the startup videos. Typically when this happens the sound will play but the screen will stay black while the startup video plays.

• Like 6

Jason, I’ve been updating to the newest beta every day that you release one. Today I updated to beta 10. For some reason this beta is incredibly slow while scrolling on my cab. It’s slow on all platforms. Up until today everything has been great. Fast, smooth, and no issues scrolling. And  I didn’t change any media display settings on bigbox.

The only things new I added today were;

a playlist for lightgun games along with some updated media for those games (90)

added missing media for some Sega Naomi games

Not only is it slow to populate the clear logos or box fronts, it’s slow with the “ding” audio. Usually holding a directional control will make the wheel spin very fast and the “ding” audio is extremely fast. So something is definitely wrong now.

Thanks

Nick “imagamejunky”

ps. Thanks again for fixing the marquee display image placement

@imagamejunky Please try rebooting, first off. It's odd that there would be any performance difference between those two betas, so my immediate guess is that your machine just needs rebooted. The added media certainly wouldn't cause any performance issues, but I do know that playlists can increase startup time, but it shouldn't affect anything else in the app.