LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

24 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@neil9000 Yeah, from what I can tell the actual emulators do not use the API, which is why they work but not the API. Hopefully they can get that fixed here soon. I'm working on sparking up a conversation with the developers so hopefully that goes well.

@xsilverfuryx There's not really any other good way to do it, since the title is the only way to identify the game. We could do rough matching, but then we'd inevitably end up with incorrect matches. What games are you seeing that aren't matching up?

just to give an example of the best known, I have the game "super mario bros." of nes. As you can see it has a point at the end of the name, contrary to the one in retroachievements, that point is enough reason for the game not to be recognized.

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Hmm, Retroarch does it, they have notifications for when you get one of the achievements but like I said, it's just a simple yellow text in the bottom left corner of the screen when you get one.

Yeah, as I stated above, the emulators don't currently use the API. They use something further. The emulators are also more intrinsically aware of what's going on since the games are running directly in the emulator, not in a separate application.

2 minutes ago, xsilverfuryx said:

just to give an example of the best known, I have the game "super mario bros." of nes. As you can see it has a point at the end of the name, contrary to the one in retroachievements, that point is enough reason for the game not to be recognized.

Ah, I see. I guess primarily that's an issue with how retroachievements.org has named the game, as obviously that's not the proper title. Hopefully that's not a recurring issue. I can at least go ahead remove punctuation from the checking though; that should fix that particular use case.

21 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Ah, I see. I guess primarily that's an issue with how retroachievements.org has named the game, as obviously that's not the proper title. Hopefully that's not a recurring issue. I can at least go ahead remove punctuation from the checking though; that should fix that particular use case.

In the web retroachievements each developer names the game in which he works as he wants, it would be spectacular 
to look for some way in which games with achievements are more easily recognized by launchbox xD.
Edited by xsilverfuryx

34 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, as I stated above, the emulators don't currently use the API. They use something further. The emulators are also more intrinsically aware of what's going on since the games are running directly in the emulator, not in a separate application.

Fair enough. Would be nice if you could make it happen but if you can't then you can't.

18 minutes ago, xsilverfuryx said:

In the web retroachievements each developer names the game in which he works as he wants, it would be spectacular 
to look for some way in which games with achievements are more easily recognized by launchbox xD.

I am so sorry, but I do not understand?? The achievements use the standard naming convention as most in the emulation scene. So we are adhering to the most commonly used format.

22 minutes ago, xsilverfuryx said:

I think he means just being able to list which games have achievements, or sort by them, etc., which I agree would be nice. I might be able to do that. :)

• Like 1

@xsilverfuryx So apparently there *is* a game titled Super Mario Bros. available on the retro achievements, but it's blank, so no wonder we're having trouble: http://retroachievements.org/Game/6305

I guess they have some duplication/moderation issues over there sometimes. I'm looking to see if there's a way to filter out any games that don't have achievements and move on to the next option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

We may consider integrating the achievements more directly into the game lists here at some point, but there are a number of challenges involved so that probably won't happen right away. The themes would all have to be updated, and it'd be a ton of API calls to the retroachievements.org servers during attract mode, etc. So I'm torn on that, as the last thing we want to do is bring down their servers. This is a great start though I think. :)

I think the pop up is a great implementation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xsilverfuryx said:

beautiful, now I only see something else for the moment, it no longer breaks launchbox when 
putting the games of sega genesis, the problem now is that it does not recognize the achievements of these.

Yes, and I can't do anything about that until the retroachievements.org API is fixed. As I stated earlier, for some reason their API is broken for Sega Genesis, so there's not much I can do about it.

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, and I can't do anything about that until the retroachievements.org API is fixed. As I stated earlier, for some reason their API is broken for Sega Genesis, so there's not much I can do about it.

the last thing I add, nec pc engine / turbografx-16 and sega master system do not work either =), thanks in advance

Edited by xsilverfuryx

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 2 is out now guys; it fixes the error reported above and adds achievements to Big Box as well via the game details menu and/or a hotkey/controller button:

5a0e0ca689159_LaunchBoxBigBoxRetroAchievementsSuperMarioWorld.thumb.jpg.13052756dcf3ef947a4ca5484643fede.jpgWe may consider integrating the achievements more directly into the game lists here at some point, but there are a number of challenges involved so that probably won't happen right away. The themes would all have to be updated, and it'd be a ton of API calls to the retroachievements.org servers during attract mode, etc. So I'm torn on that, as the last thing we want to do is bring down their servers. This is a great start though I think. :)

This is super fantastic! Thank you for implementing this! I just went and unlocked 22 achievements in Super Metroid. :D

I'm sure it's already been asked, but is it feasible or realistic that, at some point, something similar could be implemented for displaying Steam, Origin, GOG and uPlay achievements? Like integrating your login for these services (like EmuMovies or RetroAchievements) into LB/BB and displaying them that way?

So, you have to either use one of their emulators from that site, or retroarch?  Damn,...none of which I've gotten into.  Looks really cool, but I use mednafen for most of my systems.  It would be cool if integrating this into an emulator could become a more standard thing codewise for devs to talk to each other about.  So it can be applied to more emulators. 

• Like 1