LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Just now, Typhon said:

When I run the wizard, will I have to select to overwrite existing meta data? I've made some tweaks in some of my own personal databases that I don't want to lose.

Nope. Community ratings will be updated even if you don't overwrite metadata. I do have plans to add a separate process for it eventually.

• Like 2

About the PDF reader will you be using a existing  PDF reader or your own one built into LB (tons more work but better in the long term i think). Just remembering last time you tried, was not able to find a suitable ready built PDF reader. Also if you do decide to go the  pre done route, will it be up to the  user to decide which version they prefer or fixed. PDF readers can be a pain you find one you like then a few versions later it requires internet or adds adverts or just gets bloated and slows down to the point no longer useful. 

CDisplayEX is excellent, and it's what I currently use... personally, I think it would be awesome if the user could just point Launchbox/BigBox to the app of their choice (independent of the 'Windows' default), and have it default to the one you are working on currently. If you do want to make something built in to work out of the box with a gamepad, my biggest concern is having the kinds of features I'm already used to. Zoom is the most important though. I won't complain if it's functional, and at least has that. :)

Edited by Typhon

On 12/30/2017 at 12:10 AM, drphobus said:

About the PDF reader will you be using a existing  PDF reader or your own one built into LB (tons more work but better in the long term i think). Just remembering last time you tried, was not able to find a suitable ready built PDF reader. Also if you do decide to go the  pre done route, will it be up to the  user to decide which version they prefer or fixed. PDF readers can be a pain you find one you like then a few versions later it requires internet or adds adverts or just gets bloated and slows down to the point no longer useful. 

Adding PDF support into BigBox is simple with a library like PDFium, it's just plug and play:

https://github.com/pvginkel/PdfiumViewer

Edited by spektor56

The 3D engine is being worked on by Vlansix, the PDF reader (and other stuff) is being done by Jason.

Also just because some things can already be done vis 3rd party software and plugins that doesn't mean it shouldn't be added in native to Launchbox itself. I even believe the eventual long term goal is to implement many of the things RocketLauncher allows without actually using RL.

The plugin system and using 3rd party software to achieve certain effects and functionality are just temporary workarounds for now.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, teeedubb said:

While it would be great to have a pdf reader built into LB, it's possible to have this feature via an external program. I'd personally like to see the dev time spent elsewhere, like on the new 3d engine Ive heard rumoured on the forums ?

I personally have no need at all for a pdf reader, but many many users have requested a built in one. So who am I to argue with the masses?

• Like 2

Although a pdf reader is not needed most of the time, it's nice to have access to instructions ,maps,guides,walkthroughs at the time of playing the game. Also some games do have need for manuals for security checks.Some Infocom games you must have the included documentation to finish the game.
Myself i hope the pdf is built in as that will enable themes around the pdf. Launcbox is an amazing front end with so much artwork already to all our favorite games. Why not a bit more.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paulmichel21 said:

Another change very important.... please add masive aplication change . I just create a bat to launch joytokey but is for one game and i need to agree all game plataform. Do You know for every game is teddius. Jaja my english is bad bad bad jaja sorry 

No change needed. You have to launch the bat file from the platform settings, not per game.

1 hour ago, mcfilmmakers said:

No change needed. You have to launch the bat file from the platform settings, not per game.

Actually I think you need to launch it at the emulator level using emulator's ahk tab. I don't think this is available at platform level.

Edited by ckp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2018 at 2:35 PM, neil9000 said:

Does that natively support controller navigation? 

All it does is render the which ever PDF page you choose to show as an image.  When you press right or left on the controller you just render the next / previous page.  The pdfiumviewer is just a viewer control they made on top of pdfium by google, but you can make your own control do whatever you want.

Edited by spektor56
  • Like 1