Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

7.15-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Something awry is going on there. I haven't seen either of those issues; just confirmed that Super Metroid is displaying properly for me. Retro achievements are disabled by default until you add your Retro achievements credentials in the settings. Can you zip up and send me your LaunchBox\Data folder @alnyden? That way I can look to see exactly what's going on. Be sure to PM it to me instead of posting it here for privacy reasons.

I did send my data folder, but FYI -- I just updated to beta 10 and the speed has drastically improved when selecting games.  It definitely was the update, since it was slow immediately before updating.  The only thing that's still weird are many of the community star ratings.  For example, Crash Bandicoot shows 19054150000000.  Thanks!

Edited by alnyden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@imagamejunky Please try rebooting, first off. It's odd that there would be any performance difference between those two betas, so my immediate guess is that your machine just needs rebooted. The added media certainly wouldn't cause any performance issues, but I do know that playlists can increase startup time, but it shouldn't affect anything else in the app.

Thanks for replying Jason.

I rebooted the pc a few times prior to posting on this forum.  My cab doesn't stay on when it's not in use so it is powered down at least once each day.

I have some updated strange info for you on this new issue.

There are 2 views that do NOT have this choppy/slow performance/delayed issue.  These views that are still performing PERFECTLY are the 2 vertical wheel views that have the clear logos on the lefthand side.  If I change ANY of the platform or playlist views to one of these 2 vertical scrolling clear logo views then BB runs flawlessly (including theme videos, gameplay videos, text info, logos, boxes, favorites, star ratings, etc etc.)

Surprisingly enough, even the view with the vertical simple game text list is suffering from this horrible new performance issue.

The standard views that I prefer have the horizontal images scrolling along the bottom. These horizontal views are the ones that I have been using since day one without ANY issues prior to this beta 10.

I just figured out this next part this morning and it REALLY surprises me..  ALL views work perfectly in attract mode!!!!!  Scrolling is lightning fast, images and videos populate immediately, and all is good.  This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would attract mode run perfectly while manually scrolling be the issue??  This tells me it can't be a caching issue.

My specs

i7 4790k at 4.4ghz, 32GB of DDR3, GTX970, Windows 10

LB files are all on a 850evo ssd, roms are all on a 7200rpm hd

I'm attaching my xml's.

Please help me out.

Thanks

Junky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@imagamejunky Unfortunately I had to remove those file attachments for security reasons, just in case they contain any sensitive information like your EmuMovies credentials. Instead of posting them here one by one, please zip them up and private message them to me.

Since attract mode is working perfectly, my guess is that there's something screwy going on with keyboard or game controller input. That also means that most likely I won't be able to reproduce it since I don't have your hardware, though we can certainly try. The first thing I would do though is remove any attached controllers or extra keyboards, etc. to figure out if there's a specific device that's causing the issue. We've even seen some weird gaming keyboards that act as game controllers in some cases with crappy drivers that cause problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alnyden said:

I did send my data folder, but FYI -- I just updated to beta 10 and the speed has drastically improved when selecting games.  It definitely was the update, since it was slow immediately before updating.  The only thing that's still weird are many of the community star ratings.  For example, Crash Bandicoot shows 19054150000000.  Thanks!

Good to hear @alnyden, though unfortunately I can't make sense of that since nothing I changed would likely have anything to do with performance. So just FYI, I'm not sure that whatever was causing the issue had anything to do with the update. I'll download your data and check out the star rating problem. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Good to hear @alnyden, though unfortunately I can't make sense of that since nothing I changed would likely have anything to do with performance. So just FYI, I'm not sure that whatever was causing the issue had anything to do with the update. I'll download your data and check out the star rating problem. :)

I had a feeling you'd say that.  :)  Is it possible doing an update can undo some corruption or other issue?  Because it literally fixed itself immediately after the update.  Guess it doesn't matter as it's working now, and thanks for checking out the star rating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alnyden said:

I had a feeling you'd say that.  :)  Is it possible doing an update can undo some corruption or other issue?  Because it literally fixed itself immediately after the update.  Guess it doesn't matter as it's working now, and thanks for checking out the star rating!

I am actually seeing some performance issues there on my system as well, but only when using your data. So that's good that I'm able to replicate it. It seems to be related to playlists (having a bunch of games and a bunch of playlists). I'll look into it; I may or may not be able to improve the performance before the official release, but I'll give it a shot. I don't want to change *too much* stuff before the release at this point.

Per the other weird community star rating value issue, I'm really glad you reported that lol. We apparently had some ratings coming in from people with different culture settings that were insanely high, and that was skewing the ratings. I've put several safeguards in place now to fix it, so we should be good to go. However, you will have to download new metadata using the wizard in order to fully fix it. The catch is that you'll also need to grab new metadata from the LaunchBox Games Database, and LaunchBox will only do this once a day, so you may have to wait until tomorrow. Whew. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I am actually seeing some performance issues there on my system as well, but only when using your data. So that's good that I'm able to replicate it. It seems to be related to playlists (having a bunch of games and a bunch of playlists). I'll look into it; I may or may not be able to improve the performance before the official release, but I'll give it a shot. I don't want to change *too much* stuff before the release at this point.

Per the other weird community star rating value issue, I'm really glad you reported that lol. We apparently had some ratings coming in from people with different culture settings that were insanely high, and that was skewing the ratings. I've put several safeguards in place now to fix it, so we should be good to go. However, you will have to download new metadata using the wizard in order to fully fix it. The catch is that you'll also need to grab new metadata from the LaunchBox Games Database, and LaunchBox will only do this once a day, so you may have to wait until tomorrow. Whew. ;)

All good.  Thanks for checking everything out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@alnyden I believe I figured out the performance issue. There was an issue with the background caching happening unnecessarily when a game was selected *if* you override the sort type for a playlist. I'll have a new beta out shortly. Glad we got this one figured out. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF u can figure out performace issues like this within a hour, u are like a wizard. Takes me a hour to work out basic maths lol

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Porl Hendy said:

WTF u can figure out performace issues like this within a hour, u are like a wizard. Takes me a hour to work out basic maths lol

:)

And beta 11 is out guys. I updated the version of 7-Zip and fixed @alnyden's issues above.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.56a832bef8ddf7e2641c208549ed5789.png

Hi Jason,

Still getting strange community ratings with b10. Also, is there meant to be some visual feedback when setting the rating in BB? All I see is 5 solid stars, so its not possible to see what I'm setting. Setting the rating via a controller felt strange too, like only one direction worked? (I get that feeling because only one direction would give audio feedback, the others were silent.

 

One other thing, does anyone know what the numbers next to retro achievements stand for?

image.thumb.png.8ad9691ec43d9188b56d68ed3bd254d8.png

Edited by teeedubb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, teeedubb said:

One other thing, does anyone know what the numbers next to retro achievements stand for?

It's basically gamerscore if you're familiar with Xbox achievements at all. Each achievement has a value which contributes to the user's overall total.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@teeedubb Per the above, you'll need to wait until tomorrow and then re-run the Download Metadata and Media wizard to get the proper star rating values. Going forward it shouldn't be an issue. :)

I suspect that the star ratings in Big Box just aren't working because of the weird values, so that should be fixed as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason Carr I believe I have found a bug with the scan for added roms per platform feature. I was adding in some new games on a paticular platform and it found the games and went through the metadata wizard fine but it didnt ask what emulator I wanted to use which should be fine because if you are scanning per platform it should use the same emulator that the rest of the games in that platform uses. When the games were added I had to edit each game and pick an emulator to use as it didnt automatically pick it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@teeedubb Per the above, you'll need to wait until tomorrow and then re-run the Download Metadata and Media wizard to get the proper star rating values. Going forward it shouldn't be an issue. :)

I suspect that the star ratings in Big Box just aren't working because of the weird values, so that should be fixed as well.

Do we need to select “overwrite all data” since that field isn’t empty?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I have notice slow sluggishness with UI over the last few betas I want to shift focus a bit.

For those of us developing themes are there any new fields that can be mapped to the UK?

I am toying with the idea of reducing my collection down to a best of and seeing if less xml files speed things up.  I also wonder if all those arcade playlists impact the ui.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

For those of us developing themes are there any new fields that can be mapped to the UK?

David old bean, I thought you were from New Jersey in the US?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all!  Thanks for your patience, I've been putting in 80-100 hour weeks at work lately, so it's taken me a while.  My apologies.

Fix for the AddToGamesDb issue is live in the downloads. :)

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JamesBond@ge said:

David old bean, I thought you were from New Jersey in the US?

Did Autocorrect get the best of me.  I meant UI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:13 PM, teeedubb said:

image.thumb.png.56a832bef8ddf7e2641c208549ed5789.png

is there meant to be some visual feedback when setting the rating in BB? All I see is 5 solid stars, so its not possible to see what I'm setting. Setting the rating via a controller felt strange too, like only one direction worked? (I get that feeling because only one direction would give audio feedback, the others were silent.

Seems like the lack of visual feedback is a product of the strange numbers in the community rating - if I add a rating for a game with no rating the visual feedback works as expected

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...