LaunchBox Community Forums
Newlander

Game Sets

hey guys

just wondering what sort of sets are best for launchbox in regards to computer and disc based consoles? , i know stuff like redump is considered complete but it has like 10 copies of every game is there any way to import these sets but only have one copy of each game with prioritizing of regions? 

Cheers 

If they are labelled with the region like (USA) you can just use the windows search when importing to only import those games. Just choose import files rather than a folder, do the search in the window, select them all and import.

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If they are labelled with the region like (USA) you can just use the windows search when importing to only import those games. Just choose import files rather than a folder, do the search in the window, select them all and import.

thanks for your reply but 

what if i want pal/jap exclusives also? 

or if games are names GameName version number (USA) and theres multiple versions per region? 

Edited by Newlander

When you add files that way it will take you back to the add files wizard after you chose them, so you can just click add files again and import something else with a different search term, and they will all be imported at the same time.

Just now, neil9000 said:

When you add files that way it will take you back to the add files wizard after you chose them, so you can just click add files again and import something else with a different search term, and they will all be imported at the same time.

thanks for your reply :)

what is f games are names GameName version number (USA) and theres multiple versions per region? i was hoping there would be some easier way to import like the mame import utility where you can prioritize a region 

1 minute ago, Newlander said:

thanks for your reply :)

what is f games are names GameName version number (USA) and theres multiple versions per region? i was hoping there would be some easier way to import like the mame import utility where you can prioritize a region 

Unfortunately the mame import method is exclusive to that due to the way MAME works. There is really no easy way to do what you want that I know of other than going through and picking what you want one by one.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Unfortunately the mame import method is exclusive to that due to the way MAME works. There is really no easy way to do what you want that I know of other than going through and picking what you want one by one.

oh ok , thanks for that , do you know what sets are best to go with for launchbox? especially for computer systems , as in teamwise? 

honestly I'm not the best person to ask there, the only computer systems I have in Launchbox are Windows, Spectrum and C64. Hopefully someone else will arrive to assist you. ;) 

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

honestly I'm not the best person to ask there, the only computer systems I have in Launchbox are Windows, Spectrum and C64. Hopefully someone else will arrive to assist you. ;) 

fingers crosses :) , are you bale to confirm that redump sets is the best way to for disc based systems? 

It depends on the specific platform.

Gamebase is usually a safe bet for C64. You can do TOSEC but the problem with TOSEC is that it has tons of bad dumps in it and you'll have a bunch of crap to sort through to find the best one for any given game - Gamebase is one version for each game.

For Amiga I'd recommend WHDLoad (a format, not a group per se) which can be used in conjunction with FS-UAE. "KillerGorilla" is a name you can look for. TOSEC is an option for ADF format (which I don't recommend unless a WHDLoad version isn't available) but it has the same issues as it does for C64.

My Atari 800 and Atari ST stuff is just kindof a mishmash of stuff, I don't think any of it is from specific groups.

redump sets is the best way to for disc based systems? 

Redump is pretty much always a good choice when it's available, yes.

3 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Redump is pretty much always a good choice when it's available, yes.

thank you so much! , how do you go about importing only one version of each game including regional exclusives from a redump set? 

also with amiga WHDLOad i see stuff thats labeled HDLoaders , JST , WHLoad , WHLoad-Arcadia , or Crackros  whats the difference between these? sorry if i sound a little dumb haha these amiga stuff is confusing !

how do you go about importing only one version of each game including regional exclusives from a redump set?

Personally I only download the stuff I want (not just giant complete sets). That said, if you import multiple of the same game at once, the multiple versions will be merged into a single library entry (with additional apps for each version) assuming the games share the same name.

2 minutes ago, Newlander said:

also with amiga WHDLOad i see stuff thats labeled HDLoaders , JST , WHLoad , WHLoad-Arcadia , or Crackros  whats the difference between these? sorry if i sound a little dumb haha these amiga stuff is confusing !

Like I said, just look for "KillerGorilla".

KG's packs are waaay outta date, better to search for whdload and retroplay.

As for the different types mentioned, HDLoaders are HD installed games generally from the time before WHDLoad, same with JST. WHDLoad became the standard and is recommended, WHDLoad-Arcadia is for the Arcadia games which was an Arcade machine based on Amiga hardware. Cracktros are pirate intros, WHDLoad games generally use the original versions of games and WHDLoad takes care of any copy protection they had, Cracktros will be scene pirated games from "back in the day".

Eh, I haven't had any issues out of KG stuff and I test everything in my library. Not all of my stuff is KG, but a lot of it is. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that being "out of date" doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot here, based on my experience anyway. A lot of games haven't been updated in years period. If retroplay is better (never heard of them) so be it, but I think it's a bit of an overstatement if you're going to say there's some huge problem with KGs stuff.

HDLoaders aren't actually WHDLoad at all, as you said. There are some hard drive format games that aren't available in WHDLoad format, but I don't think it's necessarily a huge number. I'm not familiar with JST and I've never messed with any Arcadia stuff.

There isn't a huge problem with the vast majority of KG's stuff (and I should know as I used to help him test them) but if a games WHDLoad slave gets updated its usually for a good reason so if you want to make sure you've got the latest versions then look for Retroplay as he took over after KG stopped making the packs.

That's fair enough. I'll keep an eye out for Retroplay in the event I add some more stuff to my library. My Amiga library is "only" about 400 games as I hand-pick (and then test) everything, but occasionally I'll come across something new that looks neat so I'll add it in. I'm assuming this is somebody over on EAB? It's the first I've heard of them (him?).

Yeh it's a guy on EAB, although I've not visited there for a while so he may have stopped as well by now.

1 hour ago, Belgarath said:

Yeh it's a guy on EAB, although I've not visited there for a while so he may have stopped as well by now.

sorry whats EAB? any chance to the forum link?