LaunchBox Community Forums

Phill's Doodles - Retrorama

PhillsDoodles

Phill's Doodles - Retrorama

View File

Hello everyone!

My Name is Filipe and i've been making some themes for emulationstation, specially for the Retropie version. I've bought a license on the last Black friday sale and started to messing with Launchbox and i loved it! it's such an awesome frontend!
I started to learn about custom themes and made a port of one of my ES themes to Launchbox. I hope you like it!
Special thanks for @CriticalCid for all the help and for his awesome theme, without it, i surely wouldn't understand XAML for sure!

• Like 13

Your drawings are just so beautiful, incredible job man!

For these few days that you are messing with BigBox theming you’ve created a pretty solid first version of your theme, respect! Of course there are definitely some things that can be refined like adding the platform name in the PlatformView because as you don't use any clear logos I have absolutely no indicator on which platform I am when there is no image for it. A generic default background image for the GamesView which is used when there's no image for the platform would be great as well because the View looks kinda broken with a pitch black background. Also the Play Mode info in the GamesViews doesn’t really fit in that small box at all.

I understand that all of this involves some more time consuming artistic choices so it's absolutely no biggie considering how fast you've converted it :) 

Just a small tip: You can disable all Views you don’t use in your theme in the ThemeSettings.xml inside your theme folder (except both TextList Views, they can’t ever be disabled for some technical reasons)

Oh, and I’m sure that you will be bombed with requests for new platforms, platform categories and playlists as you have a lot more systems you can play on the PC compared to the Pi, so you better start hiding ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks a lot!, i really appreciate the critics! i need to know what can be improved and because Emulationstation is a more simple frontend, there's a lot of things that can be added on it.

I've made 52 systems of 76 that i have made for emulationstation, the rest needs some fixes like new logos and other things before i'll add them on this version, and i'll keep making more systems to it. there's a ton of things to do :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great theme! Your emulationstation themes are great but i don't use emulationstation, so seeing this theme for launchbox is a dream come true. Would love to see some other systems like wii or wii u or maybe a default theme for systems your havent created art for. Amazing them regardless!

Keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! i'll surely update it with more systems, i'm remodelling the theme right now with a more suited gamelist and will put some infos on the platform select screen. i even have a work in progress system to use, i just need to figure how i can make it appear when there's no system image on the folder

• Like 1

I love this theme. A go to on my pi set-ups. Cool to see you bring a version to LB. Looking forward to updates you make as this one will definitely be added to my machines options. Would like to see you add some views with video playback options. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Thanks 1

Great work! What would be really nice is if there was a main menu (systems, platforms, etc.) which resembled or looked the same as the games menu. For example, a text list showing each system (Nintendo NES, Atari 2600, etc.) alphabetically, incorporating the same artwork from their respective games-theme somehow. Just dreaming :)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PhillsDoodles said:

Thanks a lot!
@bundangdon - You mean the Platform categories?

@wallmachine - I'll definitely make a video snap version :)

What I mean is something like this, shown in my terrible sketch-up below :) Basically the artwork used in a theme for the Nintendo NES, would be replaced with the systems' artwork as you scroll through the list. However, this is probably a very huge task and it's just something to consider for future stuff. Thanks for replying!

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.7916086b730d54dccdadd3ffe7d0334f.jpg

• Like 1