LaunchBox Community Forums

JRX1138

I have a new computer build with 250GB M.2 SSD (largest I can afford at this time) and WD Black 5TB HDD. I need to place emulators, roms, bios, etc in different partitions. What should be on the SSD to get best performance. Could really use the advice. Thanks

Edited by JRX1138

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

I have all mine on a standard run of the mill 2 TB hard drive, nothing fancy at all and performance is perfectly fine.

Yep, wasn't saying otherwise, just stating my personal system, I have all the heavy stuff like vids and roms/isos on my hdd, but I have the program on my ssd for snappines. I have also run the whole thing from a USB 3.0 external drive and that was also pretty great.

In my personal experience SSDs really only improve performance when it comes to Windows boot up times when Windows is installed on one or the loading of larger games such as GTA V, Battlefield maps and other large open world games like MMOs (ex: WoW), keep in mind this is the just the loading times and not the actual frame rates once loaded.

2 minutes ago, JRX1138 said:

Thank you both so much for the help.  I can put my favorite themes on the ssd if I have room and everything else on my hdds. It is what I needed to know.

Correct, but you may need to specify where the other media is, videos for example, Launchbox will look to a specific folder, you just need to point it elsewhere. Which is very easy to do.

I've been watching to many videos. I started with a hybrid 2.5 Seagate.  then i saw another that said to be sure and keep emulators on another partition. So I started about three times on my laptop.  Just wanted to get it right before going to the desktop.

Edited by JRX1138