LaunchBox Community Forums

We Need Your Help! We're being attacked and threatened.

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, keltoigael said:

Was doesn't make much sense seeing as his channel is mainly reselling HS, why he reacted to LB is the question.

I completely agree, this man's behavior is bizarre.

My immediate first thought upon reading his e-mails to Jason was: "This is a guy who posted an error report or a feature request and was brushed off by the mod team and is now looking for an excuse to 'wage war' with the LaunchBox community."
That's just the conspiracy theorist in me, though.

Edited by Kriven

This all started because he got pissed because I banned him from the forums a couple of days ago. Then he got some copyright notice on one of his youtube videos and thinks its one of us so in his mind Launchbox is attacking his lively hood. So in turn he decided to attack Jason and his lively hood, Launchbox.

19 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

We knew the email would be devisive, but we felt it should be sent as it effects every user of the product, assuming you want it to continue to improve.

I'm perfectly happy with it as-is. I'm glad other companies don't send Email to their entire userbase about their drama. It was extremely unprofessional, petty, and won't result in a thing. Jason decided for it to be DRM-free, and this is one bad thing about doing so. If it comes down to a legal matter, Jason should contact his lawyer, not all of his customers. I hate to break it to ya, but most inside of this community, much less outside, knows how much of a scumbag Chris Shaw is.

A solution instead of telling customers about the drama:

The licences should of course be revoked (I believe I saw that they have) for future updates. In future drives Shaw includes a license with, those should be revoked as well. Jason or someone on his staff should have a copy of his product as it does update. If the update includes a new license, revoke that too. If someone has a revoked licence, offer them a link to a page/blog post explaining that through no fault of their own, the hard drive they purchased contains a 3rd party commercial product that the seller was not allowed to legally distribute. Keep it simple and drama free. It isn't hard.

Alright guys, let's stop fighting back and forth. I can certainly understand where people are coming from in saying that I should not have sent the email. In fact, I'd by lying if I said I didn't have any regrets. I thought long and hard about it, but at this point at least I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps I should not have sent it out to everyone. My apologies for that, as the last thing I want to do is make people feel uncomfortable or divide the user base.

The fact of the matter is I don't make all the right decisions all the time. I'm a good developer (at least I hope) but this is certainly a learning experience for me. I don't think anything will be detrimental, but I do need to share that I haven't been overly confident in the decision I just made to send the email out to everyone. Thanks everybody for your feedback. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kriven said:

I don't think they know each other in meatspace nor do I think they were ever friends. Shaw is a software... I mean, he's a pirate yes, but he's more of a software dealer, undercutting the list price of software packages (seemingly primarily frontends) by selling them for cheap on the black market. Like a "Loaded Kodi Firestick" dealer. For whatever reason, he believes LaunchBox users are attacking his business, and he's threatening to sell his own purchased Big Box keys as a result.

I don't think there is anything this guy can do honestly.. First of all, if this is true his reputation is based on his sales which means he would destroy himself with this action. You can destroy a human beings reputation on the net very easily. Even if he gets away from his illegal actions, he would definitely damage his own business.

1 minute ago, ayuno said:

I don't think there is anything this guy can do honestly.. First of all, if this is true his reputation is based on his sales which means he would destroy himself with this action. You can destroy a human beings reputation on the net very easily. Even if he gets away from his illegal actions, he would definitely damage his own business.

I don't necessarily think his customers are going to be bothered by moral scruples.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright guys, let's stop fighting back and forth. I can certainly understand where people are coming from in saying that I should not have sent the email. In fact, I'd by lying if I said I didn't have any regrets. I thought long and hard about it, but at this point at least I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps I should not have sent it out to everyone. My apologies for that, as the last thing I want to do is make people feel uncomfortable or divide the user base.

The fact of the matter is I don't make all the right decisions all the time. I'm a good developer (at least I hope) but this is certainly a learning experience for me. I don't think anything will be detrimental, but I do need to share that I haven't been overly confident in the decision I just made to send the email out to everyone. Thanks everybody for your feedback. :)

Don´t worry Jason, you did the right thing. Maybe is not too much, but you have my sword.

13 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Hey if it makes everyone happy and feel better by all means I will accept all the blame and move on with my life.

I never said it was your fault but I still blame you for everything!. Take it like a man.

Ps: I do still think that jason did the right thing with this email and i'm definitely not the only one with this thought.

Edited by ayuno

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

No sweat, we've all been there to some degree.  Godspeed.

• Like 1