Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

We Need Your Help! We're being attacked and threatened.

Recommended Posts

Just now, FistyDollars said:

Nothing wrong with Jason freaking out about someone threatening his business, especially a scumbag like Shaw. 

And there it is

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also love how some people are crying over receiving one email dam you didn't have to read it just hit the delete key wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we care? Seriously... I mean, he said himself he has 500 customers, Pffft, who cares... Just revoke the license or use different licensing scheme and make LB/BB too awesome not to want to buy. Your job is done! Be so good they can't wait to throw money at you and the rest be damned! Though, I do totally agree that I don't appreciate the email. I mean, when I bought LB/BB I didn't think I was becoming a citizen to be called to arms when some rando threatens you. Seriously, you just assume your software WILL be pirated and get over it. Such is life, this is why so many companies use DRM in the first place. Doesn't seem so stupid an idea now does it? :P Seriously guys, not hating on Jason or whatever and this situation sucks I just have no part in it and don't want one. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cammelspit said:

Why do we care? Seriously... I mean, he said himself he has 500 customers, Pffft, who cares... Just revoke the license or use different licensing scheme and make LB/BB too awesome not to want to buy. Your job is done! Be so good they can't wait to throw money at you and the rest be damned! Though, I do totally agree that I don't appreciate the email. I mean, when I bought LB/BB I didn't think I was becoming a citizen to be called to arms when some rando threatens you. Seriously, you just assume your software WILL be pirated and get over it. Such is life, this is why so many companies use DRM in the first place. Doesn't seem so stupid an idea now does it? :P Seriously guys, not hating on Jason or whatever and this situation sucks I just have no part in it and don't want one. 

Licenses will be revoked and the product is going to be made even better than before but a single email informing the community of what is going on is not a big deal or something to get worked up over.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw the Email that guy is an idiot he is selling pirated drives full of stuff is he that blind and I'm sure Sony, Nintendo, and other companies are very well aware and were looking at ways to take the dirt bag down and yes PayPal will lock his account just like that for illegal practices they don't mess around with keyboard warriors like Chris Shawshank cry me a river lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Though, I do totally agree that I don't appreciate the email. I mean, when I bought LB/BB I didn't think I was becoming a citizen to be called to arms when some rando threatens you"

 

and that is fine no one has issues with that

Edited by DOS76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In defense of people complaining let me offer a perspective on why the mail was weird. I purchased the license for big box on June 2016, I don't really remember for how long, at most a couple of months.  You can check my only thread started on the forum was back on that date.

What made the message weird is that you sent it to a user base that I would guess is largely comprised of people like me, a big portion of inactive former clients, this is something I had never seen before from a company. Imagine some indie developer sending a message to every steam user who ever purchased their game to plead for help against a piratebay user who's uploading it, despite the active players of said game being a way smaller fragment of the total number of purchases.

I want to make clear I mean no ill feeling toward you guys, just trying to explain in my broken english how extremely weird that mail was.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Licenses will be revoked and the product is going to be made even better than before but a single email informing the community of what is going on is not a big deal or something to get worked up over.

Indeed. In fact, that happens everywhere jason is not the first one who did something like this. It's totally normal actually and more than that, It just shows jason's neat side about sharing these kind of issues with his community. Some people might be upset about this but others are happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lordmonkus I love you, buddy, I really do. Respectfully, others wouldn't be so angry if it were not a call to arms, which it was. There isn't any beating around that bush and it was in poor taste. It also wants just one short email either, it was a plea for help. The email should have had less than one paragraph at all even if it were to be sent. Not even telling us who it was that threatened just a reminder that this sort of thing happens. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We knew the email would be devisive, but we felt it should be sent as it effects every user of the product, assuming you want it to continue to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LB is more than a product to some and Jason isn't sure of who that is so he sent the email to all of his users and if you don't care that is fine but if you do then you can try to help out that is all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If people are upset about an email informing them of what is happening then I guess that is just the price of doing what Jason felt was the right thing to do. I personally don't see why people would be upset over a simple email, delete it and move on with your life instead of coming to complain about an email.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cammelspit said:

@Lordmonkus I love you, buddy, I really do. Respectfully, others wouldn't be so angry if it were not a call to arms, which it was. There isn't any beating around that bush and it was in poor taste. It also wants just one short email either, it was a plea for help. The email should have had less than one paragraph at all even if it were to be sent. Not even telling us who it was that threatened just a reminder that this sort of thing happens. 

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

What Can You Do?

First and foremost, no one in our community is obligated to do anything, so please don't feel that way.

Kind of looks like the opposite of a call to arms from here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

LB is more than a product to some and Jason isn't sure of who that is so he sent the email to all of his users and if you don't care that is fine but if you do then you can try to help out that is all.

Yep, if you don't care just ignore and delete the email, its not hard I'm sure you delete tons every day, if you do care, then the email was for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lordmonkus said:

If people are upset about an email informing them of what is happening then I guess that is just the price of doing what Jason felt was the right thing to do. I personally don't see why people would be upset over a simple email, delete it and move on with your life instead of coming to complain about an email.

Exactly. And instead of trying to help in this actual problem, these guys made this whole thread off-topic with their moaning. I really don't get these kind of guys really.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@neil9000 I love you too man so don't take me wrong here. It really doesn't affect me and it really won't effect Jason or the project as a whole in the long run. It's cool, maybe I should PM you or something on steam and fill you in on my thoughts. There is a lot of negative response to this for a reason and I am leaning in that direction myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

There is some negative responses but there are a lot more positive ones.

Took the words right off of my monitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, I love cherry pickers. Jason even threatened the guy too. I have 250,00 users online... Come on, whatever that one line says it was a call to arms and was very bad form. If you don't see it then I don't know what to tell ya'. I can't make other people see a situation and think of it from the standpoint of other people. The second that emails were sent, the pirated version WILL be released. Before, it was 80% sore to be all hot air. It's pretty darn obvious here guys, really.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

@neil9000 I love you too man so don't take me wrong here. It really doesn't affect me and it really won't effect Jason or the project as a whole in the long run. It's cool, maybe I should PM you or something on steam and fill you in on my thoughts. There is a lot of negative response to this for a reason and I am leaning in that direction myself.

This is a specific twat trying to kill the whole program, that doesn't bother you???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...